Beckham Deal is Done - LA Times

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Topper, Mar 8, 2009.

?

It's DB's first introduction on the roster since rejoining LAG. How will you greet him?

1. Cheer wildly! After all, he's still part of the LAG family!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'll clap, but I'm not thrilled with his recent actions.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I will boo him as loud as I can!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. F**K David Beckham! Let him ride the bench from July to October!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But are there bacon wrapped hotdogs? At the end that is all that really matters.

2. jorgeinla4

jorgeinla4 New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And expensive cerveza at that... :D

3. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    The saddest part is the ACM/Galaxy friendly in July, wherein fans boo the fact that we're playing another unnecessary midseason friendly, boo the fact that Beckham is back doing bullshit posturing pretending LA's his team, and boo the douchey club that exacerbated this mess.

Oh wait. That won't happen. Because despite the fact that there's no way Galaxy fans want to see ACM this summer, AEG knows it can put this game in the coliseum with a MFL doubleheader in front of 90,000 people who don't give a shit about the Galaxy, collect $6 million dollars, and call the fiscal year a success.

********ing joke of a club, ready for a joke of a season.

4. BrightEyesLA

BrightEyesLA New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Well said Taco Jones. I was really looking forward to a season of no distractions, rebuilding, and just get this club back to where i was. HA! ******** Beckham, ******** AEG and their 10% discount and their "we're playing ac milan so we're even" mentality. Seriously, its like cheating on your wife and asking her to have a threesome with the chick you cheated on her with.

5. jorgeinla4

jorgeinla4 New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wife, chick and threesome? Damn. Why didn't I think of that when I was married? Oh wait. Damn again. I never cheated on my ex but the threesome sounds good, nevertheless. :D

I know, I know. I am sick... :D

6. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I saw an article somewhere that said he won't take up a roster spot and his salary won't count until he comes back in July. So if you guys get somebody to replace him for the first half of the season, once he returns you either have to get rid of the player or tell Beckham to ******** off the new guy is better.

And that 10% discount that sucks, he's going to miss 10 of the 15 home games, you guys should get more than that. They should go back to 2006 season ticket prices before, plus say 5% more for the whole 5 homes games he's going to play in 2009.

7. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one even cares in LA as the Beckham story is neither in the top 10 viewed nor top 10 most e-mailed stories there.

I knew the comments toward Becky would be harsh but not THIS harsh. Becky better bring extra security with him when he comes back to MLS.

8. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THAT many??? So he'll only be here for 5 home games?? The MLS playoffs are a joke since they are only 1 game which isn't really a playoff at all. So it sucks that people won't even hardly get to see him anyway after he comes back.

How many of the 30 regular season games will he miss?

9. Since1996

Since1996 New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    10% doesn't sound like much until you consider how many of these it will buy....

[​IMG]

10. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The women use other stuff.

11. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've yet to see an official statement, but my best guess is:

1) He takes up a roster spot all season

2) He counts for $200K against the salary cap.

3) We get some kind of allocation money. Normally, MLS gets 30%, we get 70% and we can use a maximum of 500K as allocation money. With DPs, who knows. My guess is that all transfer payments are off MLS's books, so I don't know if we get an allocation.

12. Galaxy Steve

Galaxy Steve Member

Jun 15, 2007
    PASADENA AREA
    Official statement has been on Galaxy and MLS website since early today:

http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/news/te...ent_id=222512&vkey=pr_lag&fext=.jsp&team=t106

13. lagalaxy_302

lagalaxy_302 New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I saw one report on youtube that it has been announced that Beckham will become an owner of an MLS franchise (probably LA Galaxy) after his playing career ends.

Maybe he'll go on loan again next spring and then intends on coming back to LA after WC 2010 to end his career with the LA Galaxy in 2012. Then, it may be that he plans to own the LA galaxy following that. Maybe Victoria and the family want to permanently settle in Beverly Hills, although he really wants to play in the upcoming world cup.

14. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the best thing about this deal is that it's over for now. And we can table it until November. We at least know what is going to happen now. I am a very harsh critic of the deal from a football perspective, but this is probably the best that could be made out of a crappy situation considering MLScould not sell the player. While I am not happy about it, I am glad that he is not with the team now, moping about.

The discount is something at least, when ownership could have donenothing at all. It will shave over $100 off my 10 game pack which ain't bad. The friendly is lame at that time of year (see MLS allstar joke). I just wish we had money like in the middle east so we could afford to pay teams of that calibre to play in an in season full squad friendly.

More as it settles in. Now let's play football!

15. CobraRC13

CobraRC13 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I've ever posted here but I've been reading these threads for years now. I can't believe the way some of you are bashing Beckham. For the record, I am a true Galaxy fan, not a bandwagon fan. But this is starting to get outta control. As long as a player wears the colors of my favorite team, I will support them. In Beckham's case it's a little different because I kinda feel betrayed. But what's done is done. When he comes back I will still support him because thats what true fans should do. Besides, you don't want to piss Beckham off because he might put in a few good words about the fans to other players thinking of coming to play for us... you never know.:D

16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm kind of happy about the 10% discount, I really didn't expect anything. And if Beckham misses all those games, fine with me - I'm not really that excited about seeing him play for the Galaxy again. I'll be hoping for good resale prices on my AC Milan game tickets. I know for team chemistry, this sucks, but whatcha gonna do? I'm not sure how long the guy's body can hold up anyway. We may not see him play at all.

Had to laugh about all the "Landon is the center of this team now" quotes - Lieweke did everything but hand him the captain's armband. Doesn't Bruce make that decision? Kind of silly. I guess the press release this past week and now these quotes are a signal that the Landon marketing is going to go into an upswing.

17. forzagalaxy

forzagalaxy Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Austin, azTeX/SB, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That was another time for us.

18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10% is a slap in the face when you think about it. Better to have done nothing at all.

I can't help but think that the whole beckham fiasco (the whole 3 seasons he's been involved in MLS) will leave the Galaxy with fewer fans then it had before he came. The new fans will be insulted by this 10% discount. The old fans will be disgusted with this whole sordid saga.

So, Beckham's legacy in MLS from a Galaxy point of view will be leaving the prudest and best supported team in MLS in a state far far worse then it was in before he ever came here.

I'm disgusted that this isn't even a clean cut. We have to relive this circus again come July.

19. Megasuperb

Megasuperb New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't understand why most of you guys are being such Negative Nancies on this whole thing. Sure I understand why you may be angry, but if he wants to stay in Italy longer, so be it. They extended the loan. Thats football for you, happens all the time. Not a big deal.

But if he starts crying come July that he wants to stay in Italy even longer, then sure that would justify being angry towards him. He still has a contract to live up to. At that point I think we would just say "okay, f*ck off" and just sell him.

You have to realize this guy, at this point, is basically buying himself England caps. If you want to do that to represent your country, more power to you, but he's ultimately still a Galaxy player and he's due back in a few months. If he still refuses then we'll end it then and there. No more circus.

I also read in a BBC article that he was considering starting his own MLS franchise after he's retired from playing?? Interesting..

20. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Negative Nancies" would never fall for the obvious rhetorical sop found in that last sentence. He may "consider" starting his own MLS Franchise, in the same sense as I may "consider" walking on my knees from Dammam to Mecca: it ain't ever gonna happen under the longest skein of the bluest moons. :p

If it is your team Beckham is blasting into pieces by his conduct, friend. Best of luck with that great kindness you wish to show him. If it is not your team, why are you so cavalier then with someone else's team?

21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because our ownership just made a deal that helps the league and helps themselves but does absolutely nothing to improve our team, which if you've noticed has been terrible for years. As a matter of fact this hurts our already crappy team because one asset that we thought we could count on is now missing for over half the season. Not to mention the fact that a lot of us stomached 65% price increases on our tickets for this A-hole and now he's missing 66% of our home games this season. No 10 % off doesn't cut it. On top of that over three seasons we'll be lucky if we get a season and a half worth of work out of him.

I wish he would stay permanently. I'm angry at my team for setting up this circus scenario

Oh, I'm sorry...I thought that was the situation we were dealing with all off season. Yeah, great, let's recreate that in 4 months. You're brilliant.

What does that have to do with making the Galaxy a better team. Ok then, why should I give two shts about his England career?

Oh I'm sorry, I thought that was the situation that was sold to us this whole off season.

Words cost nothing.

22. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Firstly, you have misunderstood me here. I'm not against DB. I just feel sorry for LAG now. And yes..I blame Tim L. in all of this. Him, AEG and MLS don't care about football and the fans at all.

Secondly, what I meant about benching DB is not for revenge, that is not professional at all. And useless. And stupid. What i meant is that Bruce should benching him first just to allow some space for the chemistry to come into the team, that's all. Just as a test. If all is well in just the first game, then DB can play all the way in the next game, and the next game. Bruce himself has said in his latest statement that he EXPECTS Becks to contribute fully upon his return.

Thirdly..DB actually PAID (half) for this loan/transfer himself..and I think the 10% cut of the price is covered by him. So..how can you say he fills his pockets out of this?

Yeah..the biggest looser financially is DB himself. No player should have paid for himself in the first place in a deal between the two clubs. But yeah..it shows that he really wants to stay there.

I think all of Bruce, Becks and Milan just wanted to let David go already permanently starting from this whole year..or..if he has to go back to LA then it should be from the beginning of the season. But..MLS (and Tim L.) has messed it up by insisting for him to return to LA in July. I think that is the downside of this whole deal.

And I'll say..go screw MLS and Tim L...not Becks.

23. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about villifying anyone outright in this deal. It seems that all hands were culpable in F*^king this up.

Were things mishandled from the beginning? Yes. Was Becks lying about returning? Perhaps. Was TL being niaive in letting him go? Propoably. Did ACM come across as big italian drama queen? You betcha.

I can't think of an american sport in which fans don't get screwed. We are the cash cow, but we always get screwed! It's the american way! I know that the MLS has to be a very tough business to run in the US and there are so many factors that we are not even privy to which have bearing on every decision. I mean, I was furious last year that the Galaxy were constantly missing players to Int'l duty during their losing streak. I wrote MLS a letter to say that their decision to play during these dates was basically akin to thumbing their nose at the USMT and MLS fans. They responded by making adjustments this year, but ultimately they have to keep this thing afloat. I am sure that the finances of this league are quite the tightrope and while it has not been run perfectly, it has proven to be somewhat sustainable and is still making strides.

I think that their (MLS/ AEG) hands were tied with this Beckham situation as it was really complicated. I am just curious to get a bead on the actually figures of the deal... Right now I feel like the deal is just about a friendly, 10% ticket decrease and not having to pay Beck's salary until July.

24. LAG-Fan

LAG-Fan New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Well I would just like to thank Beckham for helping me blow $825 on freakin' field seats for my daughter's birthday gift! She wanted to see him play on July 4th & possibly get his jersey (yes we had this planned before all the "I want to stay in Milan" BS) but nooooooooooooooooooooooo, because of all this crap she doesn't get to see him play at all!
    I'm just thankful at least Donovan is back. Though now my kid's 16th birthday will be remembered as the birthday she didn't get to see Beckham.

Thanks Beckham, not all of us have money to blow like you!

25. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey..I'm all the way with you here. :eek: