Beckham Deal is Done - LA Times

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Topper, Mar 8, 2009.

?

It's DB's first introduction on the roster since rejoining LAG. How will you greet him?

1. Cheer wildly! After all, he's still part of the LAG family!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'll clap, but I'm not thrilled with his recent actions.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I will boo him as loud as I can!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. F**K David Beckham! Let him ride the bench from July to October!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham has eluded that he will be back FULL TIME with the Galaxy after the 2010 WC is over. He doesn't need to top level of play anymore to make England's WC team anymore so he has hinted he'll be back in MLS FULL TIME.

How do you feel about that?? :D

2. lagalaxy_302

lagalaxy_302 New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Doesn't the Serie A season end on 5/31? Does our designated player really need 6-7 weeks break before rejoining the team he is under contract to, was the captain of before his loan, and that he takes up a significant amount of the salary cap of? I understand a 2-3 week break would be beneficial and that there are world cup qualifiers during that time, so maybe even 4 weeks max. Six to seven weeks seems much too long. The benefits of him coming off of playing for Milan will be lost with such a long vacation.

3. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He needs to wait for the transfer market to re-open. I don't think he or Galaxy has a choice in that.

4. lagalaxy_302

lagalaxy_302 New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Transfer market window rules still apply when a player is returning from a loan to a team he is already under contract to? Apparently so or else Beckham would be receiving much more criticism for not returning to the galaxy sooner. The galaxy are playing decently but he's really dealt them a difficult hand since he takes so much of the salary cap and is not playing.

5. tehphil

tehphil Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't count against the cap during his loan period

6. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allude to- to refer casually or indirectly to
    elude- to escape, avoid, evade

sorry, man.

7. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while this may be true, there isn't much we can do with the space for only 4 months... if we are going to bring in a player, that player isn't going to want to have a four month contract and then be sent packing when beckham gets here.

it would be better to offload beckham so we can move on with finding someone that wants to be here.

8. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that per his contract he could buy himself out of the MLS all together at the end of the year. But if he does that then he can't own a team in this league. So next year he is likely to go on another loan just as he did this year, play in the 2010 WC then comeback to MLS just to retire the following year. That way he gets his 250 million, a Soccer club and more Caps then any English Player in history. All good for him but as a Beckham and Galaxy fan its disappointing that he would only have spent 3 out of 5 years actually playing for the Galaxy. The upside is he'd be returning to play in time to actually help do some damage to other teams that challenge L.A. in the west and help potentially get the team into the playoffs.

Also the Galaxy will be getting a new English midfielder in Chris Burchill who will arrive when Becks returns in July. and will cover him when during his loans. There is a thread about that too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/8042385.stm

:cool:

9. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's an interesting development. Birchall is a reasonable player and I could see him fitting in well in the MLS.

10. lagalaxy_302

lagalaxy_302 New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Originally Posted by The Beautiful Gamer [​IMG]
    I heard that per his contract he could buy himself out of the MLS all together at the end of the year. But if he does that then he can't own a team in this league. So next year he is likely to go on another loan just as he did this year, play in the 2010 WC then comeback to MLS just to retire the following year. That way he gets his 250 million, a Soccer club and more Caps then any English Player in history. All good for him but as a Beckham and Galaxy fan its disappointing that he would only have spent 3 out of 5 years actually playing for the Galaxy. The upside is he'd be returning to play in time to actually help do some damage to other teams that challenge L.A. in the west and help potentially get the team into the playoffs.

Also the Galaxy will be getting a new English midfielder in Chris Burchill who will arrive when Becks returns in July. and will cover him when during his loans. There is a thread about that too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...on/8042385.stm
    ________

I don't see him retiring until 2012 or after. Everything he says always indicates that he accepts that his level of play decreases some with age - he wants to play until he absolutely cannot anymore.

11. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm his fan, but this really makes me laugh hard! LOL! :D

12. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! I didn't get enough sleep overnight and the post was made in the morning.

Like you have never made a mistake before. :rolleyes: