Beckham: Classy Guy

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by kingjackdaniel, Jul 16, 2005.

1. JTorres

JTorres New Member

Mar 2, 2000
    The Globe-Chicago
    To cover his tattos?
    Possibly wouldn't be seen as quite the kid friendly figure to some parents looking to purchase a replica jersey?

2. SpeedyH

SpeedyH New Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Out of curiosity,

for those that attended the match on Saturday, Were there any Real Madrid merchandise being sold? And if so what kind of stuff were they selling?

3. FireAddict

FireAddict Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Grayslake, IL
    Shirts, t-Shirts!

4. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here is a picture :)

5. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Absolutely. Real (and Beckham in particular) set a standard all other visiting foregin teams will now have to meet if they want to see fans packin the stadium. Most of teh soccer fans at work were convinced that:
    1) It was ChivasUSA that Real would play against, and/or
    2) Real was sending its reserves.
    Simply because of last year's Man U-Bayern bullsnot and honestly, the history of inetrnational friendlies. I think the days of getting a group of guys together, promoting them to 1st squad on their respective nat/pro teams, sending them here and knowing at least 40 thou will show up anyway are long gone.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but I heard that the *big* matchup between the "Champions" of Mexico and Poland is actually a load of.... According to the rather drunk Polish immigrant I was bummin smokes to after the match, he said the team was actually 5th in the league. The Polish, team, not CA. Is this true? If so, take two steps forward, 1 step back.

6. firefly

firefly New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Libertyville, Ill.
    I followed Beckham the entire game to see if he was as good as the hype. He was. He was fast. His positioning was outstanding, and his passes (several were 30+ yards) were pinpoint. The only faults I could see were on two of the three free kicks (shots were too high). The third free kick was perfectly placed.

Most of all, he was trying--this did not appear to be a friendly at all. Except for Ronaldo, Real Madrid and Chivas played hard. It was a thoroughly enjoyable match. Both teams made many fans. I also have a lot of respect for Chivas as they hung with Real Madrid for 70 minutes and I thought played quite well.

ManU and Bayern should be embarrassed.

7. Bayernfan

Bayernfan Member

Mar 7, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Actually, Bayern played most of its first team lineup in the match at Soldier Field; they just played like crap.

8. Elisa Uranga

Elisa Uranga New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Sierra Madre, CA
    Ronaldo's first touch was appalling and he needed to stay off the BBQ.
    Owen was much better when I saw him in LA.
    Zizou was on fire in both games.
    Gravesen played well in both along with Guti.
    Iker always is class.
    RC was pummeling the ball in LA.

I am so glad I was able to go to both. Quality stuff. :)

9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    People always wonder why Beckham is the biggest star in the game when he's not the best player. Maybe this is why.

10. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Too bad United didn't play more than their reserve bench but I really liked watching the local boy Spector being attacked by some very good Munich talent and holding his own.

11. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    http://www.rsssf.com/tablesp/pol05.html

They finished second, but won the Polish Cup.

12. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks for the info. Any word on how ticket sales are going?