Beckham: Classy Guy

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by kingjackdaniel, Jul 16, 2005.

1. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the disaster of a game witnessed last year(ManU vs. Bayern) by many Americans, it is refreshing to hear Becks say this about the game today. It's about time athletes acknowledge the importance of fans and how to keep them happy. This coming from the most famous athlete in the World!

"We really don't know much about Chivas,'' Beckham said, "but obviously, Mexican football is tough to play against. We've only been back training for four days, so there'll be some tight legs out there. But people pay a lot of money to see us play. It's only right that we work hard, and I hope you'll enjoy it.''

I do hope he comes to MLS someday.

Go FIRE!

2. wesleyan34

wesleyan34 New Member

May 13, 2004
    Also, just to get this out there, Beckham had told some people he wasn't going to talk to media this weekend. But I've been following them since the team landed--pretty much--and he talked at the airport, has signed more photos/balls/whatever than any other player on the team, has waved to fans and put on a show. When he left the field yesterday someone asked him for an interview and he said he would do it when he changed and came back to the tunnel after showering.
    Not everyone would actually do that, since there was a back way out of the locker room, but he showered, came back and signed photos/talked to reporters for the next 20 minutes.
    Very classy guy indeed.

3. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Beckham is definately very fan friendly. Classy may be a bit much. But he clearly recognizes that being out there with the fans promotes his brand and is the right thing to do.

4. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You obviously missed it when his "Beckingham Palace" web site was up.

5. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bumped into him at City Hall yesterday (read: staked out Real Madrid tour busses) When he walked from the elevators to the bussed, Becks took the time to sign autographs, talk and take pictures, with NO or limited security around. Very pro and very seemingly happy to do it too. Beckham the brand or not, he's still a person that took extra time to connect with the fans that came out to see him. And that is cool and refreshing.

6. UVA-United

UVA-United New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Beckham loves the media. He's gotta be the only superstar out there that doesn't try to hide from it. He loves it. It's refreshing b/c I know as a fan we are all annoying as hell and intrusive and selfish.

It would be nice if the media, though, could occasionally turn the same favors for athletes that they do for them.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have to give to him. When he left the field tonight he acknowledged the fans by giving his jersey away and waiving to the fans. He was the only one that did that.

8. chitownboi

chitownboi Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago
    also during the corner kicks in the southend before any of the chivas players were ready to take the kick. He would turn around real quick so people could get a picture of him

9. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Yeah I just saw a clip of him on ch. 7 news. He was very appreciative of the fan’s and the U.S. love of sports in general.

10. EuroChamp05

EuroChamp05 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Chicago
    It really showed in the 2nd half how bad he wanted to win the match. That free kick that set up the first Real Madrid goal was amazing. Last player to leave the field.

11. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Today I kept yelling at beckham in the tunnel, forcing him to stop, turn around, and glare at me for a few seoncds.

12. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    I swooned when he took off his shirt after the game. ;)

13. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    It is very ingrained and natural for him. Did you guys notice during the anthems, he put both hands on the shoulders of the girl who walked him out? It's a little thing, but very thoughtful. He was the only one doing it. And I'm sure she had her own Beckham jersey before she left the stadium.

14. EuroChamp05

EuroChamp05 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Chicago
    Everyone where I sat noticed that too.

15. irishwhiskey21

irishwhiskey21 New Member

May 22, 2005
    Chicago
    I am just a little taller, but I would have loved to be that girl!!

16. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    up til yesterday, i was another "jealous owen fan". Beckham at least *presented* himself like he cared.. owen looked bored. Ronaldo, perhaps unhappy that he has not mirrored (so far) maradona's golden age.. seems to be on a fast track to mirror maradona's golden days (cept maybe without the powder), looking fat, hungover, and bored. Now, Beckham has reportedly talked about how he loves LA... I say: he looks great in red and white when playing for England. Seems to be his colors. Would be cool to be in the future stadium on a hot july day with 100+ degree temperature watching Beckham play in a long sleeved Fire jersey.

17. upupnaway20

upupnaway20 New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah what was up with the long sleeved jersey in the 95 degree weather?? Maybe he didn't want to sunburn his fair skin??
    At any rate, I'm glad he was appreciative of the fans and the atmosphere (and apparently the pitch). Well done.

18. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I figured it out. In reality, he is the spawn of Satan and just like "Little Nicky" he has to dress warmly to deal with the surface's cold temperatures... he likes it to be hot..... FIRE RED HOT! It's meant to be....

19. EuroChamp05

EuroChamp05 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Chicago
    Yea, Ronaldo was definately still mentally in Madrid. Maybe should have been left there physically as well. I think the way fans come out in Chicago to support International showcases and the way the Fire are supported it would be a perfect fit for Beckham to play here.

20. ibasso

ibasso Member

May 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Ronaldo was the (amusing) highlight of my weekend and more so for his performance at the Real Madrid practice. During a 10 v 10 50-yard scrimmage using the full goals, a group of us were laughing at how he stood for blocks of 20 seconds at a time with his hands on his hips rooted to a spot (as an aside, it was a very fast paced scrimmage with everyone seemingly trying to win). Anyway, Ronaldo ran so little...and the best part was that, despite him doing nothing, he scored the scrimmages first 2 goals. Three touches in 10 minutes and two goals.

He does look like a fat a$$....

21. Landon Donovan

Landon Donovan New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Comiskey Park
    Ronaldo sucks, I hate him, he played like crap. I cant understand those idiot's obsession with him shouting "Ronaldo!" every 2 seconds...

22. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Beckham obviously watches Andy Williams highlight tapes. Andy almost always plays in long sleeves. I was shocked to see him in short sleeves on 6/26 when RSL came to town, but at halftime he changed to a long sleeve jersey.

For you baseball fans out there, remember Terry Pendleton of the Cardinals and Braves? He was the same way...Busch stadium in the summer is a freaking oven, and I'm sure Atlanta is nice and toasty too, but that guy always had on long sleeves under his jersey.

23. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Becks always wears long sleeve shirts

24. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This was a very entertaining match, my faith in friendlies is restored. Thanks to Real Madrid for playing their stars. Beckham was also a class act.

Great day.

25. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh, yeah it was. But TP won the 1991 NL MVP that way, so as a Braves fan I don't criticize. :)