Beckham and NY

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by bigredmachine, Mar 13, 2011.

1. O.K., take your shots at this, but here's a scenario I think could happen. The Beckham's apparently want their daughter born in England and their children raised there. So, when David's contract runs out next fall, he returns to London and plays for Tottenham. After the Olympics in London, AEG and Tottenham win the bidding for the Olympic stadium and Tottenham with Beckham move in. Meanwhile, the Wilpon's financial issues get resolved and they partner with Beckham, the Cosmos group, or some other NY money folks to buy an expansion franchise in NY and build a stadium next to Citifield. Not so far fetched in my opinion. The new team could be playing a new stadium by 2014 and could play in Red Bull Arena if they want to start earlier.

2. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

This is not News NOR Analysis. This is speculation at best and ill-informed speculation at worst.

Belongs in General.

3. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also NO other New York MLS team will play at Red Bull Arena!

4. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And didn't West Ham already beat out Tottenham for the olympic stadium?

5. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is from an article written in February:

6. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp.

7. Tom845

Tom845 Member

Jan 25, 2011
    New Windsor, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they did. That issued is settled. And Beckham's contract with MLS prevents him from involvement with a NY or LA MLS franchise - at least at the promised discounted rate.

8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Sorry, do you have a source or link for this? I've never heard of it before.

9. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't find a link handy, but I'll vouch for the veracity of that statement as I've read it several times in interviews with Don Garber. Beckham will not be involved in NY2, as it pertains to his cut rate expansion team deal.

1 person likes this.
  10. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's one place MLS needs to expand to, it's.........CALIFORNIA??? :confused:

11. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since San Diego topped the list for ratings during the World Cup (I think for US Men's games) they have been more frequently mentioned in MLS expansion talk. There's really no reason San Diego should be overlooked just due to geography. Should fans/owner/stadium be present there, MLS will come running.

1 person likes this.
  12. QrysDonnell

QrysDonnell Member

Apr 2, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the idea of what presumably would be a second team in Montreal.

13. Tom845

Tom845 Member

Jan 25, 2011
    New Windsor, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Q*bert. I can't remember exactly which site(s) I originally saw this on, (pretty sure at least one was mlssoccer.com) but I did read it several times on different ones. I did a little digging, and found this one link:

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/01/david_beckham_miami_mls.php

This is a quote from the article:

"But Beckham's agreement with MLS -- which would allow him to buy into the league at a fee lower than the $40million other clubs are paying -- rules out teams in New York and Los Angeles."

I wish I could find a better link, but I know it has been reported several times and comes right from Garber's mouth. It seems that most of the reports linking Beckham with buying into a NY franchise come from Europe. Of course, this being MLS - all rules are subject to change without notice.

1 person likes this.
  14. The Olympic stadium issue in London is not settled. Yes, Beckham cannot get a discount on a new MLS franchise, but who says he wants to be a sole or majority owner. Also, MLS has bent the rules before when it made sense. NY for Beckham still makes more sense, even as a minority owner.