Beautiful Game Beautiful political moments

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Guinho, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, all,

The 9/11 thread prompted me to think about those moments where the beautiful game transcends to be beautiful in the world outside the pitch. My favorite two memories:

the US and Iranian teams posing together for their match photo and the Iranian team bringing roses. That gives you hope for humanity.

Also, the outporing for Marc Vivien Foe was pretty touching too, although not really political.

Please join in.

2. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    All I can think of is 95. Once in a lifetime thing. Won't get better than that moment in time, ever. Unless history repeats itself. I hope I live to see that.

PS not political. But I couldn't think of anything.

3. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Robbie Fowler displaying a t-shirt supporting the striking Liverpool dockers when he scored was class. And the way they ripped off the Calvin Klein logo was funny too: doCKers

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2002/may/1/N134807020501-1231.html

I was a bit surprised to find the link on the official Liverpool website after Fowler was sanctioned by football's governing bodies, but fair play to them.

4. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than that though was the amazing goal he scored that night against Brann Bergen - one of the most memorable I've ever seen.