Beating DVD copy protection

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tpmazembe, Dec 16, 2004.

1. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    How does one go about making a VHS copy of a DVD (for personal use of course!) which has copy protection? Any help would be appreciated.

2. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, why make a VHS copy of a DVD? The quality of VHS sucks SS! You have a PC? A dvd player? Pickup a dvd burner for $60 and download & install dvdshrink. Dvdshrink will remove the encryption and reencode the dvd to fit on a single layer (4.7 gig) blank DVD. Welcome to the digital age. :)

3. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I hear you, but its for someone who doesn't have a DVD player. Is there the same sort of process available for tape conversion.

thanks

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could try to get a Macrovision remover, or find a DVD player that does not have Macrovision on the output. If you can play the disc on your computer, the output (via your video card, if you've got S-Video out) will likely not have Macrovision.

Macrovision:
    [​IMG]

No Macrovision:
    [​IMG]

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $50 for Toshiba - Progressive-Scan DVD Player with MP3 Playback SD-3960
    DVD, DVD-R, CD, CD-R/RW, V-CD, WMA, MP3 and JPEG playback; 3D Virtual Surround Sound.

There is really no excuse for not having a DVD player.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You can't just do output to the VCR and tape it? How does DVD protection prevent it from being taped on VCR? Seems hard to believe to me.

7. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    NO, you can't. the signal is scrambled just like old-school vhs protection. I tried to tape some of my wife's pilates dvd's for my mom, and had to burn unencrypted copies, then tape.

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Macrovision. Most DVD players have a chip that add Macrovision to the outgoing video stream if a certain flag is set on the DVD being played. It's total BS, but... what can you do?

9. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Macrovision remover huh?

Where does one purchase this? Or is it simpler to go to a tech shop for them to re-jigger?

thanks

10. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Is this an example of what you are talking about Foosinho? They don't expressly say its to beat Macrovision, but seems to be implied in the disclaimer.

http://www.videoguys.com/sima.htm

[​IMG]
    If it is, seems like it has added advantage of seemless VHS to DVD copying as well. I've been thinking about longer term storage for my classic games collection.

11. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    If anyone interested; bought the above, came in 3 days and works beautifully.