Beat vs. Sky Blue (Beat wins!!!!!)

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by kbritt1967, Apr 17, 2011.

1. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since no one else has started this thread, I thought I'd give it a shot. What an exciting game last night! I almost couldn't watch that last free kick by Sky Blue. We still have plenty room for improvement, but the team is definitely working together better than both last week and last year. AND, the Beat are no longer at the bottom of the pack, with 3 whole points!!!

For those of you wondering, we had the same announcer as last week, but he wasn't quite as bad. He had obviously worked on his player names & understanding of the game, and he did a good job of getting the crowd into a few chants. My only complaint about the sound was the fact that they kept playing "Hey-Oh" which seemed odd to have the home field cheering for HAO. :)

Any other comments about last night's game???

2. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lipsher came up big in goal. The defense was better organized, but still SLOW. The team as a whole played much better than they did last week. If they continue to improve, maybe we have a chance at picking up a few more W's this season.

Jesolva is a player to watch. Once they settle in together, I think she'll combine well with Chalupny and Lenczyk.

Call me cautiously optimistic that our season won't be painful.

3. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're right - the announcer showed some improvement!

Dowling still seems to struggle, but I thought that Cat Whitehill did a good job taking her under her wing. Reynolds did well yet again, especially considering that O'Reilly is not exactly an easy player to keep in check. Lloyd put in a lot of work in the defensive midfield. She didn't have a ton of super creative moments, but she definitely helped us keep a clean sheet. I agree that Jesolva was good on the left flank. I do wish that they had been able to create more opportunities, but overall, the Beat put a lot of effort into the game. Glad that it paid off.

4. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree total turn around. Lipsher great game, not just in saves but also in laying off the ball. Was very concerned re Trotter she was very slow in first half, took too long to get head in game.She was easily dispossessed and seemed content to lay off the ball in the 1st half,often to opposition.Must have been told about this at halftime because 2cnd half much improved. Loved Jesolva's work ethic, she was all over the field. As a team we went at the opposition instead of sitting back and letting them force the play.Really enjoyed the game other than freezing.Certainly gives us hope for the season if we improve this much week to week.

5. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Interesting game by Trotter, wasn't it? She seemed out of it for the majority of the first half, but completely unexpectedly, she had about 3 or 4 brilliant scenes. Bizarre!

Someone needs to have a talk with Carolyn Blank. All those sneaky fouls, shirt-pulling, and pushing - not kosher!

6. GaDawg

GaDawg New Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Announcer - waaay better
    Weather - waaaay worse

I thought we looked much improved as a team in the first half, but in the final 30 minutes or so it was all we could do to hang on to the lead (Lipsher came up big repeatedly!)

Still room for improvement on the attacking side, but things are looking up from this point forward.

Related note - there was a video interview of Fitz posted on Facebook earlier in the day where he really showed what a fan he was. He was talking about what a great game Lipsher had and was genuinely excited. It's just nice to see that he gets so excited to see them do well and isn't into it just for the money. For some reason the video was taken down...who knows?