Beat Trades No. 1 Dispersal Draft Pick

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by ATL Beat GM, Feb 2, 2010.

1. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    BEAT TRADES TOP PICK FOR THREE ATHLETICA PLAYERS​
     ​
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE​

KENNESAW, GA (Feb. 2, 2010)
    - Atlanta Beat General Manager Shawn McGee announced trading the No. 1 overall, Dispersal Draft pick and the Beat’s second round 2011 WPS Draft choice for three Saint Louis Athletica players: defender Kia McNeill, midfielder Angie Kerr (Woznuk), and the rights to second round 2010 WPS Draft pick Amanda Poach. The Beat obtains Athletica’s second round Dispersal Draft choice at the ninth overall selection.  

"This is a great trade for us," said McGee. "While we certainly would have loved to have Marta, the fact is that we have a game plan and a budget, and it is important to us that we stay true to that plan." 

"McNeil is a hard-nosed defender and Angie Kerr can play anywhere in the midfield," said Head Coach Gareth O’Sullivan.   

McNeill, a centerback from Boston, Mass., played in 19 games with 17 starts in the 2009 WPS inaugural season.  She helped anchor a Saint Louis defense that allowed the second fewest goals in the WPS, (15), the second least GAA average (0.75), and the second most shutouts (10).  

"Kia is a versatile defender who can play centerback or outside back," said O’Sullivan.  "She had a strong year with KDDF in Sweden in 2008 and performed very well with St. Louis in 2009." 

Kerr, formerly Woznuk, joins the Beat after starting and playing in 18 games with Athletica.  She logged the second most minutes for the Arch City with 1,577 and played 1,246 consecutive minutes to start the year. Kerr has also appeared at six different levels of the youth national team in addition to holding a spot on the full US Women’s National Team for the 2008 Four Nations Cup and Algarve Cup with an appearance and a goal in the 2009 Algarve Cup. 

"Angie Kerr is an excellent midfielder," said the coach.  "She maintains possession well and has spent time with the full WNT." 

In addition to McNeill and Kerr the Atlanta Beat also obtained the rights to Santa Clara midfielder, Amanda Poach. 

"Poach, who suffered through some injuries during her collegiate career, is a very technical player and could be a pleasant surprise for us," said McGee. "We are very pleased with the way our team is taking shape, and we still have a great opportunity to pick up a solid player from LA’s roster." 

2. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW.....So that means the Athletica have Marta unless some miracle rebirth of the Sol happens in the next 48 hours.

It's great for St.Louis but I'd rather see Marta in LA with the Sol where they belong.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent. A quality starting defender (either inside or outside), a quality midfielder that also started a lot of games for STL, and the no. 9 pick in the dispersal draft, and Poach. Nice deal :D

I like what McNeill brought to the field last season. I do wonder how Woz will fit in an already crowded offensive midfield situation. She's going to have to dig in on defense a bit more that I remember her doing previously. Regardless, a good trade for Atlanta.

4. Garrettt

Garrettt Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Canton, GA
    Looks like we played a hot hand and got the most out of it. Addressed the team's needs on defense and can still pick a quality player at #9.
    Good stuff all around.

5. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Kool-Aide...told ya we listen to our fans....;)

6. REALSOCCER

REALSOCCER New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Now what about the keeper situation?

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude. Had I but known how much I'd have made a much different request... Like moving a franchise to NC and hiring me to the full time staff..... :D:D

8. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kool-

He's already in ATL from DFW. You can at least meet him in the middle. :)

9. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Would have been great to see Marta here, but fully understandable to put some quality into weaker parts of the squad

10. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Good point Diego Red. Kool-Aide, you should go to Vegas...being able to predict the future like you did.

As for the GK situation...got Whitworth (big fan of hers...she is going to be VERY good) and got something bewing on our other GK...more to come..=

Now, leave me alone...I gotta get off chat boards and get back to work....:D

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahah. nicely played.

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the rest of us going to get work done after your trade? At least bigsoccer is related to your job--fan relations being important and all ;)

13. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Just trying to keep you from getting any real work done. Of course, your real work now is to get people to buy season tickets, or at least come out to the games and give us a try.

In fact, if any of you are willing to help, I am willing to work out a commission structure for you. Just let me know...

15. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a deal Beat fan's !!!! get to work selling tickets . Shawn can you tell us what time the dispersal draft is on Thursday ? Is it going to be done over the telephone or live in person ? just curious..I'm sure you will keep us updated

16. tobinheathfan13

tobinheathfan13 New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha official street team forming up soon??? Shawn, how are the season ticket sales looking so far? on track?

17. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Draft starts at 1pm EST. We will make an announcement on who we get once it is all over....probably at about 3-4pm.

As for season tickets, we are doing well. Are leading the league by a wide margin for new 2010 season seats and revenue. However, we have a LONG way to go to hit goals. So, please consider spreading the gospel for us and encourage everyone you know to buy season seats. We can use all the fans we can get.

18. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have any members of the other Atlanta pro sports teams shown any interest?

19. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    What do you mean? In buying season tickets? And, are you referring to players from the other sports teams...or staff..or fans?

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm all out of face palm imgs today.

21. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, players from one pro sports team follow other pro sports team all across America.

St.Louis Blues players go to Cardinals baseball game and Cardinal players have gone to Blues games.

I also know that some of the Lakers have gone to LA Kings games and vice versa.

That's what I mean. Of course it could be staff of other teams too although they may not even divulge that unless they offer to.

22. futbolreal

futbolreal Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Regarding spreading the gospel, it is important for the Beat to have a story line. Star power does not have the same draw, especially given the current economy. So it is good the Beat stayed true to their game plan. Fans relate to underdog stories, whether it is about the team or individual players on the team.

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said. Chasing celebrities in the hopes some of their 'celebrity' will rub off on you is a fool's errand. If celebrities or other pro athletes are interested in soccer, they may give WPS a look. If they aren't interested in soccer, it is a waste of time and resources to try to convince them or get some sort of photo op of dubious values. I'm pretty sure the Beat ownership and management realizes that. Successful partnerships are built on connections with mutual interests.

Know the product. Know the marketplace. Work like h3ll to build the business. Keep your eyes on the real prize.

24. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Y'all grow the hell up and stop bickering.

If you don't like someone, there's always the ignore list. And at no time are personal attacks allowed. Next one to do so gets popped with an infraction.

25. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I appreciate both points of view. When I was at FC Dallas, we had lots of Dallas Stars and a few Mavericks and Cowboys attend our games occassionaly.

However, we have to build out busines on people that are willing to suport this team day in and day out. True fans, so to speak.

So, when I say spread the gospel, I mean tell your friends and neighbors to just come out and give us a look. I think we will be entertaining and exciting on the field, while providing a great experience for you and your family at the stadium. We think you (or they) will be back.