Beasley's Brother

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by pwip, Nov 24, 2004.

1. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    No, you're not.
    I also remember when I first read in Soccer America (I'm thinking like around 1997) about Jamar Beasley, a very talented youngster making a name for himself in the youth ranks. The article also mentioned his little brother as being a potential star for the US National team.

Where does the time go? :confused:

2. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Apparently time goes into a warp where half the people remember Jamar as Jamal.

It could be worse - didn't Jose Canseco have an identical twin who still wasn't anywhere near as good as Jose?

But seriously, are there any successful brothers in American soccer? Alecko E's bro played college ball as a defender, but that's it.

The Farfans are still in development, so I refuse to count them.

3. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There are a bunch in the youth team ranks right now. The Farfans, Sororkas, Valentines, Adus, and I'm pretty sure that there is at least another one that I'm forgetting. I hope at least one pair pans out.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, so far there have mainly been examples that paralell the Canseco's.

*Alexi Lalas and his brother Greg.
    *Chris Henderson and bis brother, Sean.
    *Michael Mason and his twin Marco. (OK, I kid.)

And we also had Steve, Geoff and Roy Wegerle who all played in the NASL and Roy, of course, played in MLS and with the US national team, though they were all born and raised in South Africa.

Several MLS/national team players have brothers playing D-I college ball who could make it in MLS. Among them,
    Jim Curtin's brother Jeff and Bobby Convey's brother Tim play for Georgetown.
    Tayt Ianni's brother Patrick, plays at UCLA.
    Chris Albright's brother Sean starts for American.
    Jason Moore's brother, Justin, is at Clemson.
    Taylor Twellman's brother James is at Stanford.
    Brian Carroll has two brothers; Jeff is at St. John's, Pat is at West Virginia.
    Chris Gbandi's brother, Sandy, plays at UAB.
    Adin Brown's brother Chris is at Boston College (I think he redshirted - just like his brother!)
    Nelson Akwari's brother, Stephen, redshirted at Saint Louis.

There are others, but it's late and I'm about to go to bed!

Personally, what I'm waiting for is the first father-son MLS combo. I know there are a lot of MLS players whose dad's played in the NASL, MISL or elsehwere overseas professionally, but I want to see the first kid in MLS whose old man also played in the league.

Any guesses for who that will be?

5. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'd help if I knew of any with sons, but I'm going to say McBride.

6. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Bryce Wegerle's dad ever play in MLS?

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually there are upcoming situations to paralell the Beasleys.

Obviously there are the two Fredua Adus.

Gabriel and Michael Farfan are twins from San Diego and both at Bradenton

Preston Zimmerman has been one of the top Bradenton players this cycle and his brother Brandon made the Region IV ODP 90s.

8. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a link to the PSV.nl story about Jamar Beasley

http://english.psv.nl/show?id=21372&contentid=7764

"A connection between PSV and the World Cup futsal (indoor soccer) in Taiwan seems to be far-fetched, but is conspicuously present all the same: he is American, 1.78 meter tall, weighs about 73 kilo and answers to the name Jamar Beasley.

The elder brother of DaMarcus Beasley is a player of the national futsal team of the USA. The 23-year-old midfielder is active in the Major Indoor Soccer League (MLIS) and makes appearances for the Kansas City Comets"