Beasley's Brother

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by pwip, Nov 24, 2004.

1. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Not sure where this thread belong, what is the story on Beasley's brother?
    I tried to sit through the Futsal game last night for the first time and I saw an absolute clone of DMB.

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  3. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    If I'm not mistaken, his career has been something like: Fire, Revs, A-league, MISL

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    If I were RSL, I would take a serious look at him after the futsal tournament is over. I think he can still be a useful player in this league, and RSL will need all the help it can get.

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    And a brief stint with Puteolana in Italy's Serie C.

6. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    I don't know. He seemed this past year like a pretty average A-League player to me.

Not sure if he (or his teammates for that matter) will try to find a club and play in the A-League this year - he was with Milwaukee, who folded their A-League team and will now only play indoor.

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, it can't hurt to invite him to train. They will start Kreis and (they're hoping) Mathis, and they have Erick Scott, but they'll need to beat the bushes for one more forward, I think.

8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's sad, but I had all but forgotten Jamal. Sad. It goes without saying, but man I'd hate to be him.

9. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    The story is that Jamal is faster, but DeMarcus is quicker and more skilled. Jamal never got good development when He was in Revelution. In one exhition game against Mighty Ajax, Jamal kept killing Ajax's defense line with his speed and I believed scored one or two. Ajax saw the potential on him and inquired the transfer, but MLS proved to be too difficult to deal that time. Think about someone faster than DMB, but he lost all valuable time on his development years.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Am I the only one who remembers when "Beasley's Brother" was DeMarcus, and "Beasley" was Jamar?

not that that was ever true in terms of the USMNT and the Beasleys, but for so many National Team stars, there was often the older, less effective sibling who drove the younger one to greatness and then faded or drifted into other (often indoor) fields.

here is Jamar's current bio:

http://www.ussoccer.com/bio/bio.sps?iBiographyID=11732

i'm looking forward to seeing how Jamar is doing in

U.S. Futsal vs. Japan
    Thursday, November 25
    Delayed on Galavision:
    Midnight ET/PT

11. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Jamar Beasley was once called in to a USMNT camp. I think that I even remember seeing him warming up on the sidelines for a game. I can't remember which one though. ...Anyone remember

12. A_Bomb

A_Bomb New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Lee's Summit
    He played for the Kansas City Comets in the MISL last year. Decent player with decent ball handling skills and speed. He might be able to play for a MLS club especially with the expansion, but he has nowhere near the talent that his younger brother has.

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Better to be remembered and forgotten (Jamar Beasely) then never remembered at all (you).

I don't know, he seems to be scratching out a living playing he sport I assume he loves. Probably also has to work part time jobs to support it. But he got paid to be in Italy for a little bit, not so bad really.

14. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I also see this on the US Soccer site, but Galavision's site still lists it at 10 pm EST, which is the normal time they've been airing their daily broadcasts. So it's certainly worth checking at the earlier time, just in case.

15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    yes, i saw this un the galavision site as well. thanks for posting this, as 10PM is an easier time for viewing.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Shaster,

I think in retrospect DMB's talent was always greater, but you are right that Jamar had the ability to be at least a good MLS player, ability squandered by poor development in my book.

He'd been hoping to be a 'get behind the defense' forward of the type we didn't have many of at the time (Lassiter, Razov). Of those, he was about as fast as Lassiter (but not as strong), had better positional sense (ie not an offside machine) and first touch. Razov was probably a better finisher, but that could have been worked on.

17. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw him play many times for the Revs and see little difference between him and DeMarcus except DB has been luckier. Jamal seems to have a bad reputation that follows him around while Demarcus walks on water. Wierd. Both are very fast and exciting and have the potential to make something happen any time they get the ball. The crowd used to stand up to see what Jamal would do everytime he touched the ball and he was an exciting player to watch. Now the Rev's have neither players with speed, crowds or excitement at their games and I for one would like to see him back with the team. I would take him over Noonan any day and think a guy like Nichol could polish the raw talent that he has into a valuable player.

He could probably be obtained for a case of Sam's too

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, yes and no. You and I are developing our skills in the working world, for which we expect to be compensated later on. Soccer doesn't work that way. Jamar will be retired at 32 or so, without a big pile of money to sit on, and will have to work a regular job, without the years of training he'd have if he'd taken a college scholarship and then gone 9-to-5 in the outside world.

So yes, he's having a lot of fun, but it may come with a price tag down the line.

19. nedigital

nedigital Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Mass
    I'm going to respectfully disagree here. I think that DMB is somewhat exciting to watch but I feel like his runs usually end in losing the ball because he's going too fast for his own good. If Jamar is less skilled/developed than Damarcus I can't imagine he's going to hold a lot of possession.

I guess it depends on what style of play you like but I'd rather have Noonan with his less burst (but a nose for the goal) than a streaking player who won't control the ball.

I only vaguely remember Jamar playing with the Revs so feel free to correct me if I'm not giving his skillls their proper due.

I will give concede the point that the Revs don't have any speedy/exciting attacking players though. Any buildup they get is through slow deliberate passing and then a run down a wing followed by a cross, or a fluky over the top pass that a forward runs onto.

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    He joined MLS via P-40. Doesn't P-40 offer some sort of educational compensation for these kids who pass up college degrees to play pro soccer, or does that expire after some period of time?

BTW, I can't feel sorry for anybody who is good enough to represent his country at a world championship event.

21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    It does expire at some point. I think you have 10 years or something. So he could still do it.

I don't guess I do, either. I enjoy what I do, though, so I wouldn't trade places with him.

22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. And what I was referencing to was the fact that he'll forever be in his younger brother's shadow.

23. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    damarcus has taken a far more professional approach to his situation...

jamar the party guy he is spent too much time with the New England PATRIOTS clubbing....

24. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Galavision confirmed on-air during tonight's game that the USA-Japan game will be shown tonight at midnight Eastern and Pacific, 11 pm CST.

25. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    Wasn't Jamar one of the players for whom P-40 was created. I remember there was a lot of buzz around him and talks about how not to waste his talent in college. He was always used as an example to illustrate the need for teenagers to jump into professional rank so as not to stagnate their development. Unfortunately, whatever talent he has was wasted in professional environment. Maybe he did need college, after all.