Beasley to Puebla [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jeffmefun, Aug 3, 2010.

1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Don't think his product on the field would be worth a DP salary at this point. I doubt Houston would go for him but I hope we don't use that much salary on Beasley at this stage in his career.

2. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  3. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be interesting. Possibilities include Beasley at LB (bye bye Ashe), or move Davis centrally and play Beasley at LM.

4. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My money is on the latter.

5. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I find it quite ironic that I made the post I did right before the post linking Beasley to Houston.

Gorky repped this.
  6. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not claiming he's worth the $ in this regard, but one thing Beasley brings is strength and stoicism in difficult situations. He's a leader, and a damn good one. If Houston's issues are locker roomish in nature, he would make a good stabilizing force.

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't locker room issues so much as on the field issues. Our defense has no leader back there. It used to be Onstad back in the day. Then it was Boswell until his form fell off a cliff. Now we have no one to keep things organized back there. If he indeed does play LB it would certainly help in that regard.

8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    #858 kruck, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    Corey Ashe is one of the better LB's in the league even making an all-star team or 2... If Beasley came I think he would push Brad Davis inside... I think it would look like

------Barnes---- Bruin
    Beasley---Davis--Garcia
    ------- Clark--------
    Ashe---- Taylor--- Horst/brunner/Cochran( all horrible, Taylor isn't great either) ----sarkodie

Houston could use a lot of help though... they have almost no depth and our defense is awful. Mostly due to a lack of quality at CB IMO

Beaz would at least help with depth some.... though I think he is past it and would be a waste of money...

Seattle gets Dempsey... Toronto gets Bradley... Houston gets gimpy old Beasley... vundervall.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Wunderbar?

BTW, one way DMB can help Dynamo is if Davis moves inside and Clark moves to central defense because what they have there is, as mentioned above, pretty close to Horst shit.

ttrevett and El Naranja repped this.
  10. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce Arena, in his infinite wisdom, also played Beasley at right midfield, center midfield, and even (IIRC) striker. I think Beasley also saw some time as right winger in Holland.

11. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider 2h
    Good morning. Hoping for more Beasley news today. Sounds like Dynamo looking to move Ashe. Another club may enter chase at last minute

Testudo and beamish repped this.
  12. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Looks like Goff was right. Beasley to Houston (apparently they traded Creavalle to Toronto to get him).

http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/Dynamo-working-to-acquire-DaMarcus-Beasley-5641031.php

Testudo and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes but without the ball.

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an interesting trade as I thought Creavalle was a pretty important player for them last term. They must really want them some DMB.

He is my all time favorite USNT player and I was hoping to see him in the blue of SKC.

Editted:

Whatev's. I am just glad to get to see him play on a regular basis again.

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Beas?

Did he get a DP deal?

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad to see the DMB threads past and present in this forum come to a close. :( Ten years and five countries later, Mr. YA, himself, is coming home. We should all salute his accomplishments: 2 Eredivisie titles & 1 Cup; 2 SPL Titles, 1 League Cup & 1 Scottish Cup not to mention the one and only Yank to play in the CL semifinals. All of that -- plus 120 caps and 17 goals and the only American to play in 4 WC's. I am happy to call to DMB, one of -- if not -- the most decorated YA of all-time. It will be a bittersweet moment seeing DMB graces the pitches in MLS but it is sad to see his career abroad come to an end. It's been one helluva ride, DMB! You made us all proud. I know you will continue the same in MLS for Houston, I presume.

ebbro, autobus39, chalaron and 7 others repped this.
  17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Creavalle had a promising 2013 season, but the performances I've seen from him this year have been dismal. A change of scenery seems to make sense.

ttrevett repped this.
  18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-fc-clearing-way-to-acquire-damarcus-beasley/

Goff's latest:
    "Terms of Beasley’s contract have not been disclosed and probably won’t be made public until the MLS players’ union updates the salary list in September. However, he was expected to become Houston’s second senior designated player (salary of at least $387,500 over a full season)."

19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Beasley's time in Mexico deserves some recognition, as well. Not only is it a good level of competition, but he performed there successfully for several years despite being the only non-Latino player in the entire league. Not an easy transition from his earlier career. Also, even though he didn't have much success in England or Germany, he nevertheless played in two of the current top three leagues in the world, which is yet another accomplishment that few Americans have managed.

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely his time in MX deserves some credit. Hands down he was a success and certainly was a key player for Puebla. He scored some big goals for them, too. The Puebla fans loved him and was a fan favorite as he was/is everywhere

But............he wasn't the only non-Latino is the league. Fellow Yank William Yarbrough is one, too. He's not ethnically Latino but he's definitely considers himself Mexican. :D

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Apologies for a pedantic reply, but Yarbrough is in fact Latino by the definition in standard use ("a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race"). He was born in Mexico and raised in Mexican culture.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg_1997standards/

Sandon Mibut, (TxT) and m vann repped this.
  23. sweethome_bama

Jul 21, 2013
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could have sworn there is 1 or 2 African players on some Liga MX teams. Not to mention a Spanish player too.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    [​IMG]

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "According to MLS rules, Designated Players of a certain threshold - as determined by the league - are subject to the allocation ranking. Beasley falls into that category the same way Maurice Edu did when he signed with the Philadelphia Union earlier this year."
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...rld-cup-veteran-damarcus-beasley-close-intl-p

Testudo repped this.