Beasley to Boro resurfaces...

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 25, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i don't think the market is going to perk up next year, players in mls are already making it clear they want out

mathis, mcbride, pablo, beasely, etc. have made light that they want to go... mcbride does seem a bit old, but the guy has done his time here and should get a chance if anyone wants him

mathis will be gone after next year if the league doesn't do anything with him... pablo i'm not sure on his contract

beasely wants out too, he wants to go

i have no problem with ld staying here because of personal reasons that are real... that means bogus bayer isn't going to give him a chance notions need to be left in la-la land (it's helpful to have actually watched the world cup to realize he would get pt)... if he still wants to be a kid, fine, he is 20, that's a college sophomore

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    it wouldnt' be a problem... they want him, they will get around it

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

nobody, it's because mls doesn't have ANYONE that is a draw

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

they have already shown that they won't

see decimation of the early d.c. united dynasty and then the chicago fire

the coaches work their butts off to get a team to come together and then they have nothing to show for it because they have to start over completely anew the next year... players have to be dumped to stay under salary because many players get an increased salary each year... keep them and drop someone else or restructure

18 man rosters at 1.7 million doesn't work, very little job security for the lower end guys, higher end guys are forced to get mud thrown in their face... this past year the fire had to get rid of gutierrez and wynalda because of cap hits, next year the fire can't keep wolff and razov... one of them has to go

5. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Beasley also played in all WC matches he was healthy for, as well as Gold Cup matches. It is clear that he is a regular international so it is likely he would get a permit. Juninho and Gilberto Silva have WPs without that magical number.

All you really need to prove is that you are a regular international player in the most important matches, and/or you are a player of significant potential.

6. slacker

slacker Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think TV

Most of your posts on this subject are refuting the notion that any single player draws many additional fans to come to the stadium and buy a ticket to see a game.

But what about trying to increase MLS' pitiful TV ratings? Thats where having known "stars" can bring in more casual sports fans - to watch a game or two or three on TV, not necessarily go to the stadium.

Plus, these known MLS stars (from the USMNT) can draw in TV viewers in markets that don't have an MLS team.

IMHO, the use of star players to market sports is not really just an NBA tactic - the NHL also highlights its stars on TV promos, and even the NFL and college football market stars for the sake of TV.
    So do the women's leagues - WNBA and WUSA.

Are all of these sports marketing folks who come up with these star-driven promo campaigns clueless about what actually helps the growth and profitability of pro sports in the USA? Is soccer somehow different?

I don't know how to quantify a particular player's value for marketing's sake, but MLS clearly feels that they need a sufficient number of star players to market, and that makes sense to me when you think about the TV side of the equation for long term growth of pro soccer in the USA.

It may suck for the players that want to go to Europe now, and MLS does have to be careful not to get a rep as too restrictive of players' desires to move on. But without MLS, these guys probably wouldn't have even gotten in the position they are now - and without MLS, the USMNT probably wouldn't have been so successful at the World Cup as to increase their chances to go to Europe. It's fair and smart for MLS to get a little more mileage out of its own home-developed "product" before selling off its assets.

7. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    Kirovski didn't get close to 75% and he still got a permit.

8. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    :rolleyes:

knucklehead: Landon, Clint, Beas to start.

Maybe they aren't world known players but those guys put people in chairs.

9. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    it is a constant balancing act, does the MLS keep our talent here, and build our league or let our best go and let them risk improving or not getting any playing time...
    I think if MLS isnt careful they have to give the individual players more say in the outcome.
    Primary reason: If you piss off the MLS players by rejecting straighup offer and not letting the players have a say (ie. Brian McBride) all the younger talents will have reserves about playing in the MLS and look to go to Europe, etc. MLS has to
    take the $$$ and continue to get new talent. IF MLS survival depends on being a "farm league" for top euro leagues for 5 years, SO BE IT...
    And this "getting playing time in europe" arguement doesnt hold water with me, if they are good enough to get it, they will get it... If Beasely goes to AJAX and sits the bench the entire season, he sits the bench, and we wait for the next American prospect to come by to crack teh starting lineup... I dont buy it that a player is better off starting MLS than gettting partial time in a top league.

just my .02 ...

10. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

excuse me???

you are the dude in france on a message board for soccer telling me who draws in mls????

you think that makes sense????

have you seen SJ attendance??? they are down this year..
    metrostars are down around 10% this year..
    the fire is down too (more location than anything)

no they don't... good soccer does, having a couple of good players and shitty role players doesn't good soccer make

11. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Re: Think TV

stars means a star

US soccer has no star... shaq is a star, kobe is a star, mcgwire is a star, randy johnson is a star

who dominates the game of soccer and is an american and is universally known... no one... who draws butts to the seats for mls games... no one... you seen the numbers???

mls gets more people interested by providing a better product... that means more roster slots, more cap room, and if they aren't going to do those two things... letting the high priced players go so that they can free up cap room and keep creating new players... in addition, the newer players are cheaper, the get money for selling the "established" players, and they can increase the wages of players that deserve it

this would mean that players wouldn't be retiring before their time because mls doesn't pay well enough for them to feel comfortable attempting to raise a family while in the league

as it is they are drowning themselves...

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

you are right, it is a balancing act... mls shouldn't sell every time, some guys are going to be lifers, some will choose to do that, others will want the challenge...

to sell all is bad and to sell no one is bad... you are ruining the league either way... well, unless they raised the cap and the roster slots, but let's be reasonable... that ain't happening anytime soon

mls would rather put a band-aid over the whole thing and say all better... when it's actually a gaping flesh wound that needs to be sewn back together

13. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    so first I'm the guy in France, so I can't make a comment on attendance.

Then you ask me if I've seen the numbers.

I need an automatic :rolleyes: for when you post.

I mention how they aren't world known players, and you follow up with a post about how Kobe and Shaq are stars, not Mathis and Donovan.

Really???? Where did you come up with that brilliant deduction?

This just in: Water is wet.

14. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

you are trying to tell me they draw people to games on their own accord... the numbers don't support it... besides, living in france is not here which means you don't see the multitude of commericials for cobi jones and tony meola

it you want to even begin to tell me how the people you listed draw people to mls games, please let me know... i have seen no evidence for it

i'm sorry if i happened to list people that draw people to games based on who they are, i'll remember that they don't belong in this conversation

15. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Jesus, take it the MLS boards. Beasley to Europe, topic.

Not MLS as a drawing card, etc.

16. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    can't buff... they are related topics

you can't have one with out the other

you want the discussion of beasely going anywhere, you have to be willing to leave the door open for mls coming into the picture

it's all related, he is here, there is looking at him

here and there got to agree, so either side is going to be looked at

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll fall under the same condition as LD would: future potential. Beasley is 20, but was a national team play only recently, and a World Cup starter v. Portugal (that would be the first game, not quality of opponent, that is important). The first go at a work permit would be denied on a technicality that he doesn't have enough A level national team games. But there is much president set for which he will win on appeal. Beasley will get a work permit, though when is the question. And what are the stipulations that FIFA has for this situation.

My assumption (assuming the transfer goes through) is that Beasley will win the appeal, but that will be after the transfer deadline and thus the transfer will not be allowed to go through until winter (somebody said December). At that point, Boro may with draw the transfer, knowing that he will be approved, and look for someone with more impact, later to come back for Beasley, upon the risk that he gets injured.

This is to bring the tread back on target, as Buff asked

18. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  19. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    It also has an article about the Korean bloke who was supposed to go the the Premiership, but couldn't get a W.P. Seems to me like Beasley'd be in the same boat.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Rowdie

Rowdie New Member

Jan 27, 2000
    The difference between Beasley and Ahn is age. Ahn is already 26, Beasley is just 20. Future potential, and the early start to his nats career probably would allow him to get a WP, but the home office is fickle so who knows.

22. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Boro denies it, it appears

http://www.mfc.co.uk/

You have to register to read the actual article (and I don't really want to register for yet another club's site, let alone one I don't care about). However, the title says it all.

23. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
  24. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    BTW-You don't have to register, just accept the site's cookie.

Yes, it denies the interest reported in Beasley.