Beasley still lacking in some basics...

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by jri, Aug 13, 2002.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Re: Re: World Cup

Actually, some of you guys probably do get waaay too excited about the Cup, now that I think of it.

2. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    Re: Re: Re: World Cup

We got up at all crazy hours of the morning, we went to work with 30 minutes of sleep a day for a month. You can't do that if you don't get waaaaay excited about the cup.

3. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beasley still lacking in some basics...

You can't say he was playing forward or midfielder or anything when he scored against Poland. We basically went to a 2-8 for the last 30 minutes.

McBride was still in the game when Donovan scored against Mexico

4. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beasley still lacking in some basics...

finally someone talking some sense ;)

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: World Cup

Dude, a 15 year old good enough to play ahead of the three Rs would be, by definition, an incredible prospect. He'd, by definition, be destined to be the greatest player of all time, so long as he avoided injuries and drugs.

Which is the whole point...a 20 year old good enough to start for a WC quarterfinalist is, by definition, a special, special player.

6. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beasley still lacking in some basics...

Now I have a question... Is L.D. potentially as talente as the Michael Owen who plays and scores goals by the bagful for Liverpool and England? Or the Michael Owen who spends half his life on the training table?????????

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Re: Re: World Cup

Yes and no.

Donovan was good enough to start for a World Cup quarterfinalist. Saviola wasn't good enough to make the team of a World Cup first-round loser. Thus, Donovan is clearly far superior to Saviola?

The fact is, Donovan was good enough to start ahead of a bench of MLS guys and a Premiership benchwarmer. That doesn't make him a special, special player, except by U.S. standards. I could find dozens of 20 year olds across the world who could start ahead of Joe-Max Moore.

By your definition, every young starter on Korea and Senegal are also special, special players.

So, no, I don't buy your central argument.

As for my hypothetical Brazilian 15 year old, I never said that he's better than Ronaldo. No doubt he's not. But he's good enough to score a goal or two in a World Cup if he plays a few games and gets service. If he gets the opportunity to actually play ... the opportunity that Donovan enjoyed, while equally -- or more -- deserving Brazilians, Argentinians, Frenchmen, etc. watched the games on TV.

Hey, comparing Donovan to top Brazilian or Argentinian prospects isn't exactly an insult, is it?

8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    So you found it necessary to bash the skills of an 18 year old, and want to pat yourself on the back for keeping it up for two years?

Take it from a Chicago fan who has watched DMB for more than "the past two MLS games", the guy is exponetially better at 20 than he was at 18, and there is no reason to think he won't continue to improve.

BTW, That Freddie Adu guy probably can't hack it in Europe. He's not bad for a 13 year old, but I just don't see the development from his days as a U9.

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, Saviola was good enough -- Bielsa just didn't know it. Despite the lack of World Cup success, I think Saviola, Riquelme and Colochinni are still a class ahead of Donovan right now. Which isn't bad and being compared to players like D'Allessandro, Romanolgi etc. is not bad either.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Re: Re: Re: Re: World Cup

Yes, Martin, that was indeed my point regarding Saviola -- and Donovan, too, come to think of it. Guess I made it a bit too drily.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You have proven that it is easy to win an argument when you get to make up the other guy's argument.

But if you're going to make up my argument, why be so half-assed about it? You people are always half-assed about it. Do something like this:

So you're saying that since the US didn't win the World Cup, Bruce Arena must be in league with Satan?!?! That's silly, JohnR.

See? I'm being just as moronic as you, but at least I'm being funny/. And if you can't be moronic and funny at the same time, then the terrorists have won.

I tend to discount Korea because of a) the home field advantage and b) the dubious refereeing that contributed to their semifinal appearance. I mean, they're not really a semifinalist in my eyes.

But as for Senegal, yes...if they have any 20 year olds who started every game, they're special, special players.

Unless he can score from the bench, then yes, you did. Well, not Ronaldo specifically, but *one* of the three Rs.

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: World Cup

Wow that dripped with condensation. Anyway, write what you mean, is all I can say. And anyway, we agree for the most part.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: World Cup

Martin -

"Donovan must be clearly better than Saviola" - irony intended

"guess I made my point a bit too drily" - no irony intended

I am neither foolish enough to think that Donovan has proven himself to be better than Saviola, nor rude enough to make a snide comment to one of this board's best posters.

Hope that makes matters clear. And yes, I think we are very much in agreement on where Donovan stands in the world-talent rankings -- somewhere very high (although not quite at the top) on the "hot young prospect" list, and somewhere quite a bit lower on the "world class player" list.

14. ed88

ed88 Member

May 28, 2006
    Mexico city
    He is in the process of progressing.

15. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is jri actually sidefootsitter? i just realized that.... :confused:

16. Adroit

Adroit New Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    How did you even find this thread?

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, jri is golazo68.

And jri has a mancrush on every US player, while sidefootsitter hates every US player. Confusing those guys is like confusing Gandhi and Stalin. :D

18. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    sidefootsitter is Jaime Trecker.

jri/golazo is still working on a HS diploma.

19. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is JRI really Golazo?

Golazo threatened to put my post that DMB had a 99% chance of not being offered a contract by Man City in his signature. Which would have been nice since that is what happened.

Then again we are talking about the guy who argued for months on the forums about how good Cory Gibbs was only to later find out that he had never even seen Gibbs play.

20. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on he read the match reports, that's almost better than watching most of the time.

21. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its really all in the box score. The recap is just a dramatization of that!

22. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean really, this is soccer. The numbers always tell the whole story, and will give you great insight into the defenders.

23. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

if jri = golazo and golazo hates freddy adu (just read every freddy thread this year on him), but jri loves every US player then either

i) Freddy is not a US player
    ii) jri /= golazo
    iii) I'm drunk

I'll take door number (iii)

24. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States