Beasley still lacking in some basics...

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by jri, Aug 13, 2002.

1. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    eurosnobs.
    don't ever acknowledge that maybe just maybe americans can be as good as euro's well sir the reality is that americans have progressed to world class status. now we just need to increase our numbers.
    deal with it

2. wunderkid

wunderkid New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Chicago
    i dont think its eurosnobbery due to the fact most of the players mentioned are South American...Donovan is a great player but to call him one of the top 20 is a bit much.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: Re: Re: Beasley still lacking in some basics...

Fine, tell me why Michael Owen looked better than Landon Donovan in the World Cup. Along with Veron, Requilme, and Rui Costa. Throw in Damien Duff in for good measure. Robbie Keane did out perform Landon Donovan, and I would suspect that most people would consider him an outstanding prospect. The other players? Ronaldo and Rivaldo, Raul and Morientes, Ballack, Basturk, perhaps Diouf of senegal but he never scored. None of the english offensive players really stood out. Totti didn't look very good either after Ecudor, along with Inzhagi and Vieri. It was their defense that was awsome. Once again I know I am going to get blasted for this but what the hell why not.

4. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Beasley still lacking in some basics...

What are you smoking man?? Donovan better than Owen?? You wished he is half the player that Owen is. Don't tell that Donovan is only 20. Remember that Owen was only 18 when he made an impression at the France 98. Owen has consistently proven that he is the one of the best forward in the world. Here is a brief bio:
    In just four years as a professional, Michael Owen has scored more than 100 goals for Liverpool - including the winner in the 2001 FA Cup. He's already considered one of the best strikers in the history of English soccer. In a qualifying match for the 2002 World Cup, Michael Owen scored three goals in a 5-1 butt-kicking of Germany. The hat-trick helped Michael win the 2001 European Football of the Year - the first time a English player had won the award in 22 years

What has Donovan prove?? That he is the best in MLS. He isn't exactly lighting it up in MLS in scoring or assist is he? You arguments are full of inconsistencies. What are you comparing Donovan as?? One of the top forward or AM??? Requilme, Totti, Veron, Vieri, and Inzhagi have proven that they are great players in the toughest leagues. Let see what Donovan does in Europe before saying that he is top 10-15 strikers or even player in the world.

5. Hool

Hool New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    I'm Polish, but I hate euro************ingsnobs

6. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    Let's see. Yao Ming. Probably one of the best basketball player China has produce. All the Chinese people in the world can say that he is one of the best player in the world even if he didn't played a single game in the NBA. But who is gonna believe that he is one of the best or even top 10-15 player until he has proven that in the NBA. Ichiro Suzuki was the one of the best if not the best baseball player in Japan. He proved that he is one of the best in the world by playing in MLB. I can see that some of you MLS supporters have passion about soccer in the States and US players, but let's be real. MLS isn't exactly one of the top league in the world.

7. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002

Part of the problem is that appooOnU you are judging LDs talent level vs these other players on one tournaments play. If LD was as good as you are saying he would be back at leverkusen or at another superclub. Its simple economics. He is not there yet but hopefully he will be when he is 25 or so.

8. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    So just for the record, those of you who have posted that staying in MLS right now will cause LD, DMB, Mastroeni and the rest to regress let me try to get this straight;
    For the last year, they have been playing in MLS to get to where they are now. They all played well enough in WC to get major attention. Now if I am to accept your analysis I would have to believe that just because they did well in WC they will now go backwards if they continue to play AND train with the same organizations that allowed them to get to this level in the first place.

Sorry but my crystal ball is way too foggy to see how that logic can possibly fly.

Yes, at some point I would like to see some of these guys go to Europe if for no other reason than to prove they can play there. It would certainly cause a lot of the naysayers to cease their saying.

Unfortunately, with the state of finances at most of the Euro clubs right now, there is not a lot of money to go around. Don't think for a minute that all the financial woe hasn't had an impact on whether 4-6 of the better US MNT members got a contract in Europe. It has. It doesn't get reported as such but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Just go look at how much money some of the best clubs in the world have lost in the past 2 years and look at what they have had to do to stay solvent.

All that has hurt the opportunities of DMB, Mastro, Mathis and others. It is not their level of talent that is lacking, it is the availability of CASH, $$$$$, GREEN STUFF.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beasley still lacking in some basics...

Please read the post before accusing me of something I never said. In what way did I say that Owen is better than Landon? In point of fact I think that Owen is indeed better than Landon. But I don't think that Owen is THAT much better. I simply asked why he looked like a better player than Landon? To the person who said he would be at Leverkusen? Well Leverkusen wants him back, LD doesn't want to go, there is another thread theorizing why. Look people, I said he is a top 10 - 15 TALENT. That doesn't mean he is better than everybody else in the world other than 14 players. It means he has the potential to be. You can throw a bunch of names into that category. Much more than 15. Is it that hard to swallow that he has that much talent and potential? Ronaldinho, Owen, Cisse (the french one) all have the same kind of talent and potential. Are they there yet? maybe, maybe not. Saviola has that kind of talent and he is a player who might actually make that claim. But does that mean he is more talented than Landon? no. Michael Owen is probably sbetter than Donovan as a forward, but who is the better Attacking Mid? But does that mean he is so much more talented than Landon that he completly overshadows him? no. Stop over-reacting and just think a little.

10. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    I'll be gentle.

Riquelme didn't make Argentina's final World Cup roster. (Neither did Saviola.)

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    World Cup

Most of you guys get waaay too excited about the World Cup.

It's 3 to 7 games every 4 years, fellas. In this past World Cup, Brian McBride scored more goals than Figo, Zidane, Crespo, and Saviola combined. Big flipping deal. The fact that Donovan happened to be the youngest (or second youngest) guy in the Cup to score a goal means very damn little. If the Brazilians brought a good 15-year-old and put him upfront in several games, the 15-year-old would have scored, too. Wouldn't make him the next Pele, just a good young player who was fortunate enough to get an opportunity in games that people really, really remember.

Right now, Donovan is a promising young player with excellent credentials (i.e., the U17 accomplishments) who has played pretty well for MLS and the U.S. national team. He's probably among the world's top 100 prospects, yes. But I wouldn't put him among the world's top 100 players, not until he does something like win a Leverkusen job and perform well, or be head and shoulders better than anybody else in the MLS.

12. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beasley still lacking in some basics...

Maybe you should the one who should be thinking a little. You are basing Donovan's talent and comparing him to established players. Owen, Requilme, Veron, Totti, Vieri, and those who you have mentioned are world class players. Even the best have off performances in tournament. There are tons of talented prospects out there that you have never even heard of because some of these guys were not given the opportunities like Donovan does due to failure to qualify the WC finals or that their country's squad is too talented. Do you think that Donovan would be in the rosters for countries like Holland, Brasil, Argentina, ect... Don't get me wrong, Donovan is talented but let's not get carried away. As of right now, I see Donovan more of a forward than a AM. He scored two WC goals as a forward. He is still weak and can be easily bump off the ball by physical defensive players. Check the US and Germany friendly in Germany when Jermies totally give Donovan fits.

13. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beasley still lacking in some basics...

Originally posted by Jordan

Maybe you should the one who should be thinking a little. You are basing Donovan's talent and comparing him to established players.

While you go on basing it on things that never happened. I'll explain

He scored two WC goals as a forward.

First goal - Poland - Forwards=Mathis / McBride
    Donovan - midfield
    Second Goal - Mexico - Forwards=McBride and Wolff
    Donovan - midfield

He is still weak and can be easily bump off the ball by physical defensive players. Check the US and Germany friendly in Germany when Jermies totally give Donovan fits.

I have a better idea. Go watch the game that MEANT something between the two teams and tell me who gave who fits.

14. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria

How can anyone take your opinion seriously when you don't know one of our player's names?

Can you name just one other player for any other team who played a different position in five different games?

15. nadpolice9

nadpolice9 New Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Boston , MA
    "But I wouldn't put him among the world's top 100 players, not until he does something like win a Leverkusen job and perform well, or be head and shoulders better than anybody else in the MLS"

did you watch the game saturday? he is the best player in mls now.

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Why do you say that? I watched the game and don't remember being overwhelmed by Donovan's performance. I forgot to tape the overtime, but do you have some more details about what leads you to that conclusion? Landon has 4 goals and 3 assists in 14 games in MLS which means he's behind Mark Chung's pace of 8 goals and 7 assists in 22 games.

17. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beasley still lacking in some basics...

You should watched those games over. He might have started in the midfielder, but ended up playing as a forward when he scored those goals. When McBribe was subbed in with JMM in the Poland game, Mathis move down to the midfield and Donovan on top. The same with the Mexico game, when both Wolff and McBride was subbed out. Donovan move on top and scored in the 90 minutes.

BTW. The friendly against Germany doesn't matter to Donovan? Here was a good opportunity for him to show up Bayern Leverkusan in Germany of all place. Tell me that game doesn't matter to Landon.

18. astabo0ty

astabo0ty New Member

Mar 25, 2002
    South Florida
    lol. sanneh and pablo are my fav US players. sorry if i dont know how to spell or even pronounce pablo's last name. i think of it as something like master roenni or something. not being able to spell his name shouldnt take away from my opinion. the thing is how can a top 15 player not make the leverkusen team? wanna know the most talented AM in the world under 20? Rafael Van der Vaart from ajax. well he isnt the most talented but better than Donovan :)

19. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    LOL. Van der who? He didn't played in the WC. He must not be good as Donovan. Seriously, Van der Vaart is a rising star.

20. astabo0ty

astabo0ty New Member

Mar 25, 2002
    South Florida
    hey hey hey, why'd you have to bring up the holland not being in the World Cup thing? ;-) lol but i dont think Van der Vaart has even played for Holland yet, something always goes wrong like an injury when he is called up. But he is the star of the Ajax team and probably wouldn't still be in Holland if it wasn't for the financial problems in other European countries. He is an outstanding player who i believe owns Donovan. PSV has the best defense in Holland and he just had 2 goals against them. This is in a strong league, not the MLS. I dont know if the MLS wants to save all their talent and actually try building itself into a strong league instead of a development league, but their starts should go overseas.

21. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    There are tons of talented youngster out there. It is just that they have got the opportunities to show their talent to the world as Donovan has in the WC. Saviola, Riquelme, Leandro ROMAGNOLI
    and Andres D’ALLESANDRO didn't make the Argentinian squad. I think all of these guys are more talented than Donovan.
    Check out the list from last year: http://www.footballtransfers.net/youth/misc/top50_2001/index.shtml
    I think that Donovan really hates Bayer Leverkusan with the bad experiences that he has got there. He would do anything to get out of the contract. BTW, I thought it was John O'Brien who played AM for the US during the WC.

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: Re: Beasley still lacking in some basics...

John O'Brien was more of a defensive, but in reality he was everywhere. Kind of Like Claudio but on the left side, donovan spear-headed the attacks. Oh and I totally give. I call truce and agree that we can only disagree on the subject of Landon Donovan.

23. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth

No Kidding. I thought the topic was about Beasley. Since when did Donovan get into the mixed and took over the thread?

24. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: World Cup

Unintentionally funny post of the day

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Sorry that was my fault. I made the comment "i wish people would stop cmparinf DMB to Donovan as Donovan is a top 10 - 15 talent"....thats when the sh!t started flying.