Beasley should be the other forward

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by BenfromUSA, Apr 12, 2006.

1. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think beasley would be a good partner up front with McBride, he is speedy, good with the ball, relatively smart, makes good runs, his finishing has improved, and I think he and McBride could click well together.

I'm not sold on Johnson starting, so moving beasley up front would open up another spot in the midfield which would be good.

any thoughts on why this would not work?

2. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would put who on our left wing?

3. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Would have to be Convey.

Also I would agree with Beas last year but Beas this year is missing his first touch and confidence. If he regains it then ok.

4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Convey

I dont like how this will work, where would Donovan go?

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lewis? JOB? Convey?Noonan?

6. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    attacking midfield. and for the three behind LD you can take your pick out of: Dempsey, JOB, Reyna, Mastroeni, Convey.

7. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the problem is johnson's touch is worse right now.

8. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lewis/JOB/Noonan are not replacements for Beasley. Lewis doesn't have his speed, JOB probably won't be able to do 90 minutes in ANY roll, much less left wing, and Noonan is still a long shot for the team.

Convey. . . Ok, I'll accept that, although I still think it's Water for . . erm. . chocolate.

Beasley could be the "other forward" if he teams with McBride, but it would still put all of our speed in the middle-front of the field, which is gonna be a problem against Italy.

You put Beasley and Dempsey on the wings, with Donovan in the middle, and you have a pretty fearsome bunch, each with different skills.

9. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    of all of the proposed moves at the last minute that have been given, this one makes the most sense. he plays in a similiar position at psv, and we have an embarrassment of riches on the left side. this could only work if JOB is fit enough to get some time, and/or dempsey is not a starter (he played left mid against england i think), and/or lewis does not start at LB, i.e. we need someone other than convey who can play at LB during the same game(s)

10. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i like this idea. frankly beasley can't be any worse than wolff, ching, twellman or johnson (barring the possibility of him returing to form)...

I guess the lineup would look like this
    McBride Beasley
    Donovan
    Convey Reyna
    JOB

that works. how is that any worse than McBride-Donovan at the top? In fact, with Donovan as an attacking midfielder, its more like a 4-3-3...

11. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    Beasley's defensive talents would go to waste up top. Note that after the Germay game, Bruce said that he would like to see more out of Convey on the defensive side of things... Beasley doesn't usually go 90 minutes if I recall correctly. Maybe for substitutions we'll see mostly straight swaps between the two. They are two of our best though, it would be nice to get them both on the field at the same time. I would be more interested in having Beasley play on the right, as he has done some at PSV. You'll see Landon playing forward nex to McBride long before Beasley, though.

12. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be very interesting to see us play a 4-3-3 , with Beasley up top , like he plays at PSV . With BMB , EJ , and DMB , we could have a pretty good offense , and that would open up space for Convey and Deuce , but then that also takes out either Reyna , JOB , or Mastro , unless we want to play three at the back . It will be interesting to see what BA does in the may friendlies .

13. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    Thank you,hisdefense would be gone and that is a big part ofhow he contributes. Plus, his touch around the box and all through have always been inconsistent, but the lost of his defense is what makes this a horrenduous idea that came out of the blue. Thank goodness Arena really not thinking that at all.

14. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Beasley's one of the best conditioned players in the NT pool, I wouldn't worry about him being able to go 90 in the World Cup. With the way our forwards are playing, McBride would be a bigger concern for me, especially in the 3rd game against Ghana...

15. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    It's not really about conditioning with Beasley. I guess it's more like, when we are winning, he gets subbed out, maybe to keep him from getting hurt. I just seems to always happen, although I'm not going to bother finding stats to back it up. McBride also is one to get subbed out almost every time these days, probably because he's getting older and Bruce wants to keep him fresh whenever possible. It sucks that this is the case because he is without a doubt the best we have at winning the ball, holding the ball, and generally keeping possession for us, obviously helpful when we have a lead to play with. Both were subbed out in our last "big" match, vs Mexico. Maybe I would contrast the two by saying Beasley certainly has the stamina, but his body frame is not built to hold up to the physical punishment one absorbs playing forward. McBride, the other way around.

I think it's also worth noting that Beasley's right foot is not impressive in terms of shooting the ball, at least the last few times I've seen him play. You need good finishing from a forward above all else.

16. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I agree for the most part. However, the World Cup is completely different than every other game we've played thep ast three years. Arena will pull out all the stops, and I think Beasley will be logging a lot of minutes...

I'm actually excited/hoping all our mid's stay healthy, someway we'll have a pretty good offensive super sub coming off of the bench, depending on the starting lineup.

17. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    I think a 4-3-3 with beasley can really work and may be our best option if we intend to score...

and honestly, i think that beasley will probably play every minute of the opening round...