Beasley -- Reported DUI

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by WarriorSoccer, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Re: Beasley Arrested

Look, what I'm trying to say is that we're talking about a real human being here. Damarcus Beasley is not some hypothetical entity here.

These accusations about a DUI are pretty damned serious, and making assumptions about how a DUI is going to affect Beasley's life is not something that should be done lightly.

If that's trolling, then I guess I'm guilty.

2. XYZ123456

XYZ123456 New Member

Jun 13, 1999

In case anyone missed it Johan Derksen posted the initial translation over on Yanks Abroad...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8161054&postcount=83

So everyone can either believe Derksen or not, it's not Mike's babblefish riddle that is so indecipherable.:rolleyes:

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

That's a fair point - hopefully it's untrue. At his weight, he really needs to be careful about any drinking - one Zima and he's probably in trouble.

4. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is a freakin internet message board, do you think DB will really read any of this and care that people are speculating as to whether he got arrested and what the punishment may be?

After reading a proper translation, you can go troll somewhere else

Back to analyzing this situation...

Regardless of what happens in the Dutch courts, I think DB needs to get at least a one game suspension and if convicted, at least half of camp and 2-3 games. Then let BA evaluate him for 1 game and part of camp, if he fits the team, then take him to Germany, if not leave him at home. Really gives him something to think about next time he has a drink and thinks about driving.

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe his BAC was .13 actually. But, I am wondering about him. Hopefully, this is will blow over soon, with little more than a slap on the wrist. I wonder when's the last time he got to spend time at Home

6. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, this isn't college athletics. This is professional football, with grown men making adult mistakes. He's in camp, and maybe Bruce benches him for a friendly, but FFS he's what? 23/ 24?

7. XYZ123456

XYZ123456 New Member

Jun 13, 1999

Remember this happened 3 months ago, lets not assume that just because we are all hearing about this for the first time that Arena doesn't already know about it.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

That post doesn't say he was actually arrested. It says he will have to appear before a judge, but we can't assume that there was an actual arrest made where he spent a night in a cell somewhere in the Netherlands.

Also, Europeans measure alcohol content differently than we do in the States. 1.3 is actually 0.13%. In most US States, the maximum is 0.08% (down from 0.10% that was prevalent about 5-10 years ago), and some have gone even lower, to 0.05%. A .13% would be about a six pack in an hour for someone of Beasley's weight.

If someone had a BAC of 1.3%, they would be dead from alcohol poisining.

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

I am NOT trolling, your inabilty to comprehend my point notwithstanding.

And the "proper" translation has incorrect math.

10. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very true, i did not take that into consideration. However, if (and this is a big if) he is convicted, then there should be some additional/greater punishment.

11. XYZ123456

XYZ123456 New Member

Jun 13, 1999

Trust me I know, I was a touring musician.;)

Here's a BAC chart if anyone is interested

http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/general/bac.htm

12. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA

So anyway, I don't think BA will do anything suspension-wise unless he's found guilty. Then a 1-game suspension would be reasonable.

We can't have our guys acting like basketball players.

Foolishness like drunk driving could have cost him his job, his spot on the Nats, or he might have even killed someone.

Does anyone recall anything about PSV possibly suspending him within the last few months? He had a period where he wasn't playing much earlier this year if I recall (or was that due to injury?).

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Geez. I consider it news. I'm guessing fidlerre, a mod, considers it news. Let it go Mike. Hit the report post button and move on.

14. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8

i'm with nancy

if i had seen it anywhere, i would have posted in the daily news thread... but i didn't

as it is, i do expect someone to follow up on this (jack?, ives?, steven?, someone?)

and if i see it anywhere, i will post it... it's news... clear and simple... is it utterly defined? no

but neither is a rumor of a trade or potential signing... which both get tons of ink both in the papers and on the boards

15. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH

Sometimes, I really wonder about BigSoccer. :cool:

16. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC

Sometimes, I really wonder about Mike.

17. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Give.

It.

A.

Rest.

18. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston

Man, because he's black, please don't make silly references please, even if you have the smiley face.

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

is there some sort of dispute over the translation? i can help, but bear with the sometimes odd dutch phrasing

PSV player DaMarcus Beasley must appear before a judge because he drove with too much drink.

On January 17, he was caught in Valkenswaard (which is just south of Eindhoven). A breathalyzer showed that he ad .13 BAC, while .5 is the acceptable legal limit. The case will be heard on April 21 in Eindhoven.

Last year, Beasley had a case that occured. The PSV'er had, after a flight from America to Holland, brought items along that he had to claim at customs . He underdeclared an Ipod, a GSM (?) and a digital camera.

20. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK

Lighten up Spock! You seem to be always causing problems. Your problem is your a smart guy, just not to wise.

21. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its a cell phone

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's a reference to a thread from before you were on the boards.Chill.

23. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think it was due to injury. I was thinking the same thing as you...maybe Guus had him ride the pine for a while as punishment. Hopefully that got his attention.

Notice that he's been back in the PSV First XI for much of the last part of the season.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Presumably, that should be .05, since per Mike's message .5 implies that the driver would be unconscious.

.05 is pretty low by the way, Beaz could have had as few as 3 beers and violated that rule.

25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

And it was a classic.