Beasley -- Reported DUI

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by WarriorSoccer, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Re: Beasley Arrested

you care WAY too much dude...

2. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is most definitely news regarding the USMNT. Beasley is an integral part of the USMNT. How hard is that to understand?

3. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004

Well since it didn't happen in the USA it would be a rather big assumption to say that's always the case.. Unless you happen to be an expert on Dutch law..
    In some countries you may face many years in prison or worse..;)
    Not that Holland would be one...

I found a few here... Note the last one...:eek:

http://webpages.charter.net/ricknet/duilaws.htm

I like this one:
    :D

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inj...ountries/dwiothercountries.html#_Toc449518794

For first offenders not involved in a traffic accident, fines are graduated according to BAC level. Fines range from a minimum of f390 for BAC of 54-80 mg/100 ml to 2,200 for BAC of 211-250 mg/100 ml ($194.94 to $1,099.65 US).

Suspension of license for BAC level greater than 131 mg/100 ml. Length of suspension increases with BAC level.

2 week imprisonment may be given for BAC over 211 mg/100 ml. Motorists refusing to take evidential breath test incur a penalty equal to that given for BAC level of 211-250 mg/100 ml.

5. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great find and information, rep

6. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

post deleted!

8. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the research, I would have done it myself but I had to step away for a moment.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

well that's from March 2000. It may have changed since then

10. PasadenaBlitz

PasadenaBlitz New Member

Mar 17, 2003

Never linked here before but I found this:

http://www.cjjcc.org/download/DWI_Report.pdf

It's down on p.13, looks like up to $1100 and alcohol counseling, but no mention of jail time.

I looked on LexisNexis and Westlaw but couldn't find any international statutes (I'm just a first year law student).

11. DiscoWarrior11

Dec 27, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm curious if this is newsworthy enough to ever get into the public media, meaning soccernet or sportscenter... or even a local paper...

Well I hope he learns his lesson... a couple of my friends have had DUIs... and they don't live near any cities so their transportation has been quite limited... I'm sure Beasley won't have a problem like that even if he loses his license... he probably lives in Eindhoven.

Someone should start a poll about what his punishment will be... fine? loss of license? jail time? combination?

12. XYZ123456

XYZ123456 New Member

Jun 13, 1999

Thanks Appoo and Pasadena

I'm still not sure how that 1,3 number translates into Appoo's mg/100 ml data. Maybe that's 130 mg/100ml, I don't read dutch so I have no idea?

I think the Beasly link says the legal limit is .5 so he was 2.6 times the legal limit.

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

Maybe someone else has already beaten me to it but if Dempsey sat one game for punching Franchino, Beasley should sit for at least that for a DUI.

14. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is completely relevant to this board, thank you for posting it, let's just ignore the nuisance(lastort). As much as Damarcus will probably get a slap on the wrist, this is very dissapointing to me.

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

By all means, we should punish Beasly before he ever sets foot in a courtroom.

:rolleyes:

16. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No one here has punished him, we are discussing the possible punishments if he is found guilty and we are analyzing the possible effects it could have on the team. Also, we are pondering what BA may do with him, comparing and contrasting with punishments to other members of the US MNT when they have had brushes with the law.

Huh, i guess thats the defination of news and analysis.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think some gang references might be appropriate.... :)

18. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm too white and too suburban for a gang reference, but I do have a set of 8's in my pick up truck.

19. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Jermaine Pennant had a 3 month sentence for drunk driving, hitting a lamp-post, and driving while banned and I think Mads Timm had a years sentence for causing a serious accident while racing some other Man Utd reserve player.

20. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Duke LaCrosse team certainly was so treated.

Certainly a team or National Team has no reason to need to meet legal standards of "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" in order to choose to discipline players for behavior they think is detrimental to the team. If there's evidence that Beasley was drinking at all and then went out and drove, the team would be well within reason to give him some sort of punishment regardless of whether he is legally guilty of DWI. For example, calling someone a racial epithet is, I hope, not against the law in this country in any way, but clearly is something worth disciplining a player over. There are different behavior standards for a courtroom than there is for a team enviornment.

So I guess it's just a matter of what is and isn't in dispute in this instance.

21. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Being very drunk is one thing, but driving a car at the same time is another thing. He could have killed people, including himself. This is not good.

22. OCKlinsmann

OCKlinsmann Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At Beasley's weight. .13 is reached at about 2 Coors.

Jesus, he lives in Holland. Home of the Coffee House and 3 week Mj binges. O'Brien looks like he just came out of the Meth clinic and noone arested him.
    Give Beasley a break. In fact, I may just start a

FREE BEASLEY

campaign. It's obvious Hiddink is really putting down the screws on ol' Beas. Cocu would have walked....no question.

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Oh, so you're sure he's guilty then?

Got a source for that?

24. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

There are two paragraphys, in Dutch, on some web site that I've never heard of stating something that I'm not really sure of since I don't read Dutch.

It's obvious that we should ban him from all future USMNT games because of this.

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Finally, does ANYONE have ANYTHING that confirms that Beasley was indeed arrested, or is this entire thread libelous? Or is that slanderous? I can never remember which is which.