Beasley - psv @ vitesse 11-21 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by afgrijselijkheid, Nov 21, 2004.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

johnson will not be eligible for competitive matches during his trial - sibon can and likely will fill in ably

2. im_spartacus

im_spartacus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Santa Clara, CA
    Thanks for the video Johan. :D

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Robben is better than Beasley....but that's ok.....I am just talking production that's all...

4. Karl Lagodzki

Karl Lagodzki Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Bloomington, IN
    The link still not working for me. Any advice?

5. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
  6. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: :eek:
    What more would you like him to do?

7. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    Did you see/hear Hiddink say this from somewhere?

8. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the same time you talk of the English overhyping Robben...Sure they do, they always do....but they do a far more egregious job of that with someone like, say, Rooney, than someone like Robben, who went on this crazy return from a broken leg playing as if he was possessed, reviving and electrifying a team that looked effective but boring, before he came back...... And i, like you, have not seen PSV last season, but i guess Blue Daddy explained the probable reasons of the scoring not being high enough for your expectations....And despite all that, all of these great club were chasing him as the great next thing.....not completely without reason, now that we get to see him in the EPL much better than we ever could in the Dutch league.....

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

he has said this more than once - remember, i live with all the dutch media so not everything is linkable - the coaches talk everyday to someone on tv, newspaper, magazine, etc. - i will check and see if any of the magazines i have had a quote of this nature - if so, i can translate it here

10. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    Thanks.

That works for me (quick time)

Hope they get Bease shooting similsr long free kicks. Lot of power on Sibon's.

11. wrightcor

wrightcor New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Maryland
    Thanks for providing the goal for us all to view.

12. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have to ask how many full games of PSV have you seen this season, i mean hes a winger, hes got a good goal tally but that doesnt mean hes playing like a world beater. other attributes are required, like crossing ability(one of his weaknesses) and setting up your teammates, how many assists does he have? i really dont think psv fans have an anti-american bias, when he scores at home the crowd goes nuts like they do for any other player.

13. Joel Goodson

Joel Goodson Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two Red State cracks in the last couple of days. How's your election therapy going? :p

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Politics board...

15. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0, to answer your question but apart from the Arsenal game where he was not effective, I gather that he has been a threat on offense and good on defense. He's scoring goals, including CL game-winners and for a forward in a 4-3-3 I would guess that's important. I just find the "not that impressed" talk odd if it's the general concensus.

16. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some notes on Beasley:

1) Beasley is not likely as good as Robben and not likely to be as good going forward primarily because of Robben's technical and tactical advantages.

2) That said Beasley does have an advantage or two over Robben himself in his pace and his absurd work rate and activity level. Robben has the ability to pop up and murder the opposition at any given moment. Beasley is the death by a 1,000 cuts player, each serve a different purpose, indeed they might be excellent complimentary players, just as Beasley's activity level allows Donovan to pick his spots a little more.

3) Beasley played a part in both goals. Unlike over here, the Dutch and other Europeans can score on free kicks and any team with Beasley on it is going to get an absurd number of free kicks. Beasley draws fouls like fewer ever have because he's just so small and wiry and quick it's difficult to get the ball from him without fouling.

4) Beasley's one of the most aggressive players I've seen and by far the most aggressive American player I've ever seen. When he's at his best he must annoy other teams, "this guy's coming at me, again?"

5) Beasley appears to enjoy playing a role far forward into attack where his defensive responsibilities are limited. Bruce likes to exploit DMB's defensive work rate and he defends extremely well, but obviously he can be a more effective attacker when those are his only real responsibilities.

6) Scoring for PSV is not exactly the most difficult thing, not because the Dutch league is weak, but because the league is weak compared to PSV. Teams that are this much better than the rest tend to provide goals by the truckload. See Larsson, Henrik. That said, DMB's scoring and that's significantly preferrable to not scoring.

7) I see no reason for Beasley to be looking for a move elsewhere at the moment. If it comes to that, by all means but this is somewhat of an ideal situation for a player like him. Probably a better one than Donovan's going to have at Leverkusen.

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Great post!

18. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Didn't vote, don't need any. :D Not to turn this into anything political, but I'm a moderate, just ask superdave, I've taken just as many or more shots at Kerry & Democrats. It's not my fault that Dubya is such an easy target. Ok, now that I've gotten that out of my system, I promise to refrain from political jokes, jabs, and snide comments for awhile.

19. Ruby_99

Ruby_99 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Pittsburgh, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Belated thanks for the pbp.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bluedaddy19 again."

20. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Favorite Beasley PSV Goal Clip: http://goalz.150mb.info/psv-ros.html

PSV vs. Rosenborg - UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Beasley scored the lone goal in that Match!

Was that the first time that an American scored a goal in the UEFA Champions League?????

21. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    awesome post, i felt guilty earlier arguing robben over beasley a little. i mean i support two teams:chelsea and the USMNT. I love watching beasley play, definitely my favorite national teamer(overtaking mr mcbride, 2 players with exceptional work rates) i just have never seen someone make a splash like robben has and his skills are incredible, he does work very hard, but like you said beasley is as agressive as it gets.

22. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Kirovski scored.

23. terrywilson

terrywilson Member

May 3, 1999
    Atlanta Ga.

One of the best posts I''ve seen in a while. Thankyou. After seeing Robben playing today on The Chelsa vs. Bolton replay. There is no doubt Robben has better technical, creative, and tactical skills than Beasly. He also hits a better free kick, but Beasly can do things than Robben cannot. I think when you look at what type of play the coach is desiring either player could be the one you need. I am not a fan of having a team full of superstars ala Real Madrid because of personality issues and everybody has to have the ball at their feet, or everybody has to be the hero. I like teams that have 3-5 stars on the field who can create for other players along with players like Beasly who just play hard all game and cause the other team headaches all day with their hustle. These are the teams you don't want to play against because of the never quit attitude. Beasly to me is the type of player that is underrated in a team chemistry standpoint because of his hustle. Out of all the players I played with, the ones you respected at the end of everygame are the ones who leave it all out on the field and that is Beasly.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    But give DMB a year or two with PSV and that gap, at least in footballing skills, may get a lot narrower than it is today.

In transfer value, it'd probably still be Robben by $18M.

25. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    though i agree beasley will get better, so will robben.....hes only 20 years old.