Beasley/JOB PSv vs Ajax Sunday 10/24 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dan Roudebush, Oct 23, 2004.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    73rd min. -- Nigel de Jong booked for Ajax, after taking Farfan down from behind, while Farfan had been running with a full head of steam.

Farfan's ensuing free kick from 28 yards away, comes to nothing, as he hits the curling effort right at Vonk.

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the pbp William!!

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    75th min. -- DMB breaks up a half-hearted Ajax attack, but the Amsterdam side starting to control play a bit more.

DaMarcus showing a good two-way match down the left here so far...

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries, Russ-- always glad to help out, especially when I have the games on exclusively here. :)

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    81st min. -- DMB with what appeared to be a great recovery run down the flank against Trabelski, but called for a foul some 30 yards out.

82nd min. -- Aborah floats a shot high after a nice four-man flowing move from Ajax (maybe their best passing sequence of the match).

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    84th min. -- Nice one-two interplay between DMB and Farfan broken up by Ajax's back four, but some good interplay nonetheless.

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    86th min. -- Vennegoor of Hesselink has his shot saved by Vonk, after Park set him up deep into the box.

87th min. -- Sneijder's shot from 25 yards out goes over the top. Sneijder is one of a few Ajax players of considerable influence to have a quiet match today.

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90th min. -- Lee tries to pick out DMB, who had been in a good position running towards the far post, but Vonk cuts the cross off.

Considerable stoppage time to be called for, with the number of injuries occurring...

Farfan shoots over after making a good move to get inside the area...

Vennegoor of Hesselink has a shot blocked, as PSV go looking for a third goal...

DMB with a great run from the left and into the middle, and wins a free kick on the edge of the box! And DMB's shot gets saved by Vonk, after van Bommel's initial shot was blocked by the Ajax wall.

9. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same Steve Cangelosi that used to play major league baseball (White Sox, I think)?

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full time...

2-0 win for PSV, who were a different class today.

More than a fair effort by Beasley, who did quite well attacking and defending in his 32 minutes on the pitch.

Got quite involved in the PSV attack down the left, combined well on several ocassions with his teammates (especially with Park and Farfan), had a couple of shots saved by Vonk in the Ajax goal, and defended effectively along his flank when called upon to do so.

DMB did well, but he might be best suited for a sub's role for a while, as Farfan's on fantastic form on the left wing at the moment.

DMB's got nothing to be ashamed of, nonetheless.

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the guy, I think, too.

Off-topic, but he and Janusz Michallik sounded really good on the broadcast today. Cangelosi knows his stuff, and stuff beyond what can be regurgitated from a production meeting and worked into a broadcast.

12. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    thanks for the PbP.

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries, always glad to help out. :)

14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought the ballplayer was John Cangelosi.

Steve does a lot of work for MSG/Cablevision,and has done several Metrostars games.He is quite good,and I'd like to see him get some national work.

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez, I might have to start a topic in Business & Media on this, then. :)

Very nice work, indeed-- and I couldn't help but notice that both Cangelosi and Michallik were calling the game with an eye on both Americans on the books at these clubs.

Obviously glowing about Beasley's efforts with PSV, but these guys also made note that JOB's presence along the back line was dearly missed, especially on John de Jong's headed goal that gave PSV their 2-0 lead.

Almost to the point of sounding like a BigSoccer-esque tone of "Well, John O'Brien would have headed that one away." :D

16. Ruby_99

Ruby_99 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Pittsburgh, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for the PBP

17. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Seemed from the PBP that Farfan, DMB and Park combined pretty well when all three were in. That should give them another option to get Beasley in there.

I'm not that worried about Beasley's position on the team -- sounds like he's either the third man in a three-man rotation on the wings or possibly the fourth man in a four-man rotation among three spots. That means at worst he'll get ample time as a sub, and he'll undoubtedly get quite a few starts if anyone else is dinged up or needs a rest. On a team that's balancing Euro play and domestic play, being the first option off the bench isn't a bad thing. And he'll have plenty of chances to move up.

18. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Can anybody gives us any insight on how DMB has been recieved by the PSV faithful? Are they calling for him to get more playing time, or are they happy with the way things are going?

19. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    After being a little bit shocked by his Arsenal flop, I am not that worried about Beasley, either. I think the operative abjective in describing him in the PbP is 'two-way'. Martin Fischer had it right. Farfan is a better forward. But Beasely is a dangerous two-way midfielder -- a complete player and one that is better-suited for a 442.

20. johnnygol

johnnygol New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Nice 30 min by DMB. Excellent going up and comming back, maybe not a 90 min player yet but definitelly he makes a diference when he is in the feld.

:)

21. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Its been a few weeks since I last spoke to this about my friend from Eindhoven, but they like DMB, think he's doing well, and hope that they can "develop" him so that they can prove to Freddy Adu that he should go to PSV before hitting the big clubs. I really didn't try to talk about Adu, but he kept bringing it up.

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    what the hell has happened to Ajax??

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i hate bogdan lobont

24. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
  25. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    That's almost a month old, a.t.m. the crisis is not "looming" anymore, it's there. Van Gaal has left the building, they lost in Eindhoven because of stupid personal mistakes and they're in 6th place in the league.

And what do these last lines about PSV have anything to do with Ajax' crisis.

Too bad for him but no, they didn't. Yet. :D