Beasley 'Boro Blow?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcc134, Jul 29, 2002.

1. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Yes, but at this point, talks between Boro and MLS are presumably sleeping with the fishes after Boro offered less than 2m USD for Beasley.

3. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still can't believe Beasley is around...he has made it very clear he wants to go. He is young, and could be had for less than 3 million pounds...I know it is probably partially MLS' fault...but it still seems, even after our success at the WC, there are still reservations about signing Nats.

I mean, Breen moved to West Ham today, Blackburn signed a guy from the Israeli league for cryin' out loud!! I am going to be disappointed if a few US based Nats don't get a shot in Europe before or after the end of this season.

On a positive note...it really seems like the Boro is really trying hard to improve their lot...so DMB going there is still not out of the realm of possibility.

4. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  5. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I guess you're not a Fire fan.

6. wva97

wva97 Member

Jun 8, 2002
    east coast/west coas
    Usually, I'd be upset that MLS couldn't find a way to get DmB to Europe, but the offers I saw were disappointing - perhaps even insulting (rumored 825,000 Pounds from 'Boro and 1.2M Euros from Ajax). Even considering his inexperience, these offers were far from his value to MLS and the Fire.

7. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, and to be fair to Gershon...he played for a team that did pretty well in Europe last year.

What would be the problems with the work permit?? I thought after a certain number of caps, that kind of thing was easy to take care of.

8. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    I would think that Beasley wouldn't have too difficult a time qualifying for a work permit, although it would probably be initially denied and go to a hearing. His situation is very similar to Milan Baros' of Liverpool.

Both were very young and could not reasonably have figured in the requisite number of international team appearances over the last few (is it 3 that they evaluate?) years. However, DMBs age and junior international status would probably have been acceptable "mitigating circumstances".

Still, you never know. Brad Friedel sure had fits for awhile.

9. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    is it becoming any easier as americans seem to establishing themselves a bit there?

10. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    The potential DMB transfer does not take place in a vacuum. Money is tight all over international football. Beasley is a great prospect but it's not as if he's proven himself over such a long duration of time that teams are just going to throw dollar after dollar at him.

I agree it would be a good investment for someone, but anyone is going to be pretty antsy about leaping out like that just now.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I don't know about that. DaMarcus surprised the world with his athletecism and falshes of brilliance at the World cup. But he is still pretty raw. His skill level still needs to go aways. But think of it this way. If he signed to a team like Ajax, he'd gain much more out of it than Ajax would. Ajax gets an incredibly athletic, but still raw major proespect. And DMB gets some of the best coaching in the world. The offer from Boro was stupid but Ajax I think made a good offer.

12. wunderkid

wunderkid New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Chicago
    We'll never officially know how the Ajax deal fell apart...whether it be MLS or Ajax pulling out, but i think that deal would help DaMarcus out...Sure there's no language barrier in England, but O'Brien could really act as a mentor to Beasley...Even if he didnt get playing time, and with a full slate of CL, the Dutch Cup, and League play, Beasley might get a couple of starts here and there...i just think the style of play suits Beasley more...but he should be let go for peanuts...2 million dollars seems like a decent number in todays market.

I know boateng plays in the middle...i dunno who is on the left at M'boro, but Beasley could get some playing time there...maybe not many starts at first, but if Jonathan Greening can start, Beasley could too. I just think the style of play, although more direct, just seems to be too physical for him.

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not agreeing with his valuation, even in a down year, being less than pounds 2m. He showed awfully well at the WC. On top of that, even in this market, Macconi (misspelled), an italian striker, same age, signed for pounds 8.1 in the EPL _ was it villa, or boro, whoever. He's a striker, so he's worth more, and he's Italian, so he's going to be valued more highly. But to say he's not worth a quarter of that is off. MLS should stick to their valuation. Besides which, he still can gain a lot simply by playing all the time, which he will in MLS.

14. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    The sale of their current left winger flopped dead on the table when Fullam gaffer Jean Tigana somehow managed to screw it up...surprise, surprise...(Free Eddie Lewis...oh wrong thread :))as far as the offer from Ajax for DMB is concerned, I saw it on the boards was around 4million USD..

15. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    While Beasley did have a good showing in the first match of this past WC, he was far from being effective in the second match and was physically outplayed, resulting in an injury that finished off his playing for the cup. This, coupled with the way he is built, has to put some doubt into the minds of Ajax/Boro with regard to his durability. This may at least in part explain the low bid.

16. tpm

tpm New Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    Good point, striker. Putting together a team for an entire league campaign is also entirely different than putting together a team for a tournament. A European season is a heck of a lot longer than MLS, and since clubs are watching their cash alot more closely, they probably won't pay a max transfer fee for someone whose ability to withstand physical play is suspect.

Also, doesn't Ajax still have Wamberto? It seems to me he's very similar to DMB, but more polished.

17. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    There is no language barrier in Holland either for a guy like Beasley. Basically everyone he would deal with would speak almost perfect English. It is the best league in Europe for these young Americans. Pretty good level of play and a lot of matches per year. I'm surprised these guys aren't swimming the Atlantic to get there.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods - this is tuning into another Beasley/Ajax thread. Please merge or close as nothing more from 'boro is appearing.

Original Beasley to Ajax thread

19. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    Now that Blomqvist is going to sign, there is pretty much no chance at all of DMB at 'boro. Ah, doesnt it feel good to know that your player was choosen over a treble winner but for your leagues dilluted value system?

20. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Ajax pull plug on Beasley move

Dutch giants Ajax have pulled out of a move for Boro target DaMarcus Beasley, clearing the way for a fresh bid from the Teesiders...

TeamTalk

21. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    How many ********** people have to get that Ognjenovic stuff wrong?

Yesterday, a Chicago paper. Today, TeamTalk.

Ajax did not offer Ognjenovic a contract. They signed Sikora. That's why Beasley to Ajax is dead.

[/vent]

22. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Take a deep breath and step back form the computer for a few minutes.

23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  24. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    He'd be rejected on the application but be awarded one on appeal due to "potential", the fact that he played in the world cup, is a starter on the national team, and will meet the regular requirements within the year anyways. If Milan Barros can get one on an appeal like this with a resume much less than that of DMB's, than DMB is a shoe-in for one.

25. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Same scenario as with Juninho. Robson mentioned that only Rivaldo and Roberto Carlos from Brazil would qualify for a UK work permit under the criteria used.