Be kind to Duke

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by SueB, Sep 26, 2003.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    There seems to be a pervasive anti-Duke attitude on this board, which is apparently spurred on and encouraged by a Wahoo moderator (who will remain anonymous ;)).

Come ON. I know the success of the Blue Devil basketball team and perceived snooty attitude of certain Duke fans, students and alums isn't exactly conducive to generating the love of neutral fans. But believe it or not, there REALLY ARE some normal and decent people out here who happen to follow the team.

So, given the current poor record of the soccer team, why keep piling on? Can't we just all get along?

Okay, I've said my piece and now have my anti-Duke player-hater flame-resistant suit on. :D

2. jmsdoc

jmsdoc Member

Jun 25, 2000
    The Valley
    Mods,

Can we close this thread?

John

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Oh, come on. Are you serious?! It's not like I'm a newbie. I'm making a serious point here (and trying to do it in a nice unsnooty way).

4. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I liked watching Duke against Clemson this year. Clemson scored early but Duke kept the pressure on, playing a very dynamic and open game. Smart players. Unfortunatly when they got the equalizer they were too tired to stop Clemson.

5. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    I think I'm going to lurch all over your pretty blue and white jumper!!

6. FritoBandito

FritoBandito New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    US
    I don't know folks, she sounds pretty snooty to me no matter how you slice it.

7. EatHoHos

EatHoHos New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    If we promise to get along, will you get us free tickets to b'ball games at Cameron?

8. FritoBandito

FritoBandito New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    US
    Jeez, next thing you know a UMD Terds fan is going to ask us to swap spit in the shower.

9. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    We'll be kind to Duke when Rennie says bye bye to college soccer. However, you gotta love Coach K.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Lots of newbies around here, aren't there!

11. EatHoHos

EatHoHos New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Don't got to be an old fart on BS to say somethin'. How's your flame retardent suit doin' now?

12. JBinSC

JBinSC New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    i saw duke when they played against clemson, and i thought that they were a very good team. the second half they balled out. it wasnt a matter of if they were going to score, but when. they were just too tired once they scored to hold on to the momentum.

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    You're right, of course, and my suit is doing just fine. Actually, I was only mentioning it because I'm testing a theory. When a bunch of newbies with similar points of view start posting in one thread or board, it often means a) they're all friends or b) they're all one person! But it's just a theory.

14. EatHoHos

EatHoHos New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    hey folks....

...we got us another music major looking to do her PhD on us lads and lassies of BS. I got your theory right here baby!! Besides, you're probably right, but it's been thought of before. 8^(

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Er, okay ... so I'm right!

ANYWAY ... to try and be constructive, I guess the reason I started this thread is that when I entered this board, the first thing I did was read the "Note from the moderator" and was immediately made unwelcome by the "rule" which said "Boo Duke."
    And I've noticed it seemed to set the tone because I've seen disparaging comments in other threads such as "must be a Duke fan" etc etc.

Now rivalries are rivalries. I hate UNC, obviously.

But I don't see a sticky thread at the top of the MLS forum saying "Boo MetroStars!" and I don't have a sticky at the top of the Italy forum saying "Boo Roma!". It just seems a little silly (and I suppose it's meant to be humorous, but it does set a definite tone).

Anyway, I promised something constructive. My suggestion would be to have a "Smack" or a "Rivalries" thread, just for that sort of stuff.

16. jmsdoc

jmsdoc Member

Jun 25, 2000
    The Valley
    No........Just BOO DUKE and the #$%^&*METROSTARS!!!!!

John

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Really, I honest to god don't have a problem with YOU saying it. I mind the MODERATOR saying it.

18. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    With the banality of the Furman posts I think our moderator was trying to put things in perspective. It was a joke!

I also thought, like you, that the problem is that the fans on this forum have to share the forum and as soon as someone puts up a, say, pro-UMaryland post there are posters from UVA, Salisbury, Clemson and Duke that see it and reply. It's kind of the nature of the forum.

So let's make fun of Vermont instead. What's Vermont's tourism slogan? It is, "Thank you for comming. Now leave!"

19. EatHoHos

EatHoHos New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    nothing against mods having opinions

Suzie, what's the problem with mods having opinions? Further, what's the problem with mods (or anyone for that matter) having multiple personalities on BS? I doubt it influences any of us opinion minded posters on BS anyways. It does have positive influences like making people laugh and getting excited enough to post more. We make fun of Duke because we all want to be Dukies but can't afford the B'mer. 8^}

20. jmsdoc

jmsdoc Member

Jun 25, 2000
    The Valley
    our precious

WE hates them,we does, because they stole our precious.

John

21. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Hey, eat: If by "multiple personalities", you mean "sock puppets", it's against the Terms of Service, per this:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2860

So take that one up with the admins.

As for my disagreement with Courtney, I can see that it's meant to be a joke, but I'll catch up with her elsewhere (since she doesn't appear to be reading this).

Thanks for all you kind responses. :D

Now, I think I'll take a spin in my new BM'er. Get a new one every year.

(don't I wish ... actually, I never had a car of any make in college and currently drive an 8-year-old Subaru just like everybody else in Vermont :)).

22. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    If Rennie coached either one of those teams you would...

23. Courtney

Courtney Member

May 14, 2000
    Massachusetts
    I do indeed hate Duke but it was meant to be funny. If you can't tell by my sig and picture, I don't take things overly serious. So simma down/lighten up!

And yes, there are lots of newbies around here lately, and I have similar theories and have done more than a few ip checks to investigate.

And I don't have multiple personalities.

And I DO drive a BMW.

24. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Thought this was all pretty light-hearted, frankly. Except I'm serious about the "smack" or "rivalries" thread suggestion (see your thread in the Mod board).

Damn, there goes my image of you as a poor down-trodden Wahoo. ;)