BCS is Un-American?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chizzy, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    generally they don't seem to want anything to do with the matter, which is wise - if i saw them wasting time on this i'd blow a gasket - it's none of their business

3. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any help to get rid of the BCS system is appreciated. I think the Capital Hill politicians are making a valid point.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Note to Congress - start with boxing & horse racing first. 2 sports that we KNOW are fixed. And then take on "amateur" (HA!) athletics in the colleges & universities.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i don't care if they have the greatest notion in the world, i don't want congress dealing with sports while there are some far more important matters for them to screw up

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is not an issue for congress, but as an immigrant who doesnt follow much college football but is a sportsfan, I am wondering how sports fans in the US can accept the legitimacy of any sports championship that is decided by computers and coaches and sportswriters instead of by a logical playoff or point system determined by teams playing each other on the field.

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't care as long as Notre Dame is losing.

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

well theoretically we are talking about student athletes who must also focus on classes... (waiting for the laughter to die down)... seriously i have proposed for years a scenario which would involve ONE extra game, boatloads of added revenue and an end to much of the debate - unfortunately i do not have the collective ear of the NCAA but all my friends think i'm brilliant

the system is... before the bowl games, combine the two polls into one - the top 4 teams are designated as semifinalists with #1 scheduled to play #4 and #2 scheduled to play #3 - put the 'semifinal games' on a rotation among the rose, sugar, orange and fiesta - one week or so after the new year's day bowls, the winners meet in the national championship game - combines the current system with a mini playoff and, as i said, reaps an extra sweaty wad of cash

all the people who want a freakin' 16 team playoff are out of their minds... like 16 teams are 'championship contenders' - four sounds a bout right and sure some years somebody will have a legitimate gripe about being excluded, but hey, life ain't fair

9. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    How about 8? 6 conference champions+2 at-large?

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    8 at the absolute most, but i don't think the conference title games should get anyone an automatic berth - in reality though i don't even think 8 teams are worthy of a title shot in any given year

11. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Utah's economy is dead in the water (but in no worse shape than most other states), our only growth industry is storing nerve gas and toxic waste, cops here marry underaged girls, Bloods & Crips have joined the California Diaspora & are moving here & don't get me started on Ed Smart.

So what are our senators concentrating on?

Getting BYU & Utah a cut of the BCS money.

Nitwits.

12. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1608729

I saw on SportsCenter. Argumental some exercpts

In the 20 years before BCS started, only one school other than Norte Dame that is not currently in those six conferences played in one of the series' four bowls.

I think and I looked around time during SportsCenter. They stated "Since 1950-40 a team, similar to above quote; has won it. So is plot for prerequisite, a reduction including synopsis. Over all, it has sour points but the statistics says a sure thing.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe if we would have used the BCS system for the world cup Argentina would have been in the final. And I bet we would have beaten France to become champions.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the real tragedy behind all of this is that our elected representatives are wasting their time with this when the WAC and Mountain West and MAC and CUSA have proven ON THE FIELD that they don't really deserve to be in the BCS.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    is it at all possible that the smaller schools aren't good enough to play in the top bowls? - when they decide to schedule top teams and then go 11-0, they will get into the big january 1 games - BCS or not, they weren't involved so why the sudden beef? i don't think the BCS is perfect by any means (the computer rankings are crap), but it ain't that far off - look there was a time when florida state was absolutely wretched - so what did they do? they recruited and worked hard and built a top program - why should these small schools be handed something they haven't earned - is that the new american way? whine and legislate your way to the top?