BC Place Stadium - 2011 (hopefully just a temporary home)

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by canuck51, Jul 28, 2008.

1. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    What the current big white marshmallow will look like in spring 2011,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
  3. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
  4. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    I may be one of the few supporters of BC Place; even if in the future after an SSS is constructed, I'd like to see high profile matches and playoff games at it this stadium will just be too nice to only have the Lions play in it. It just seems silly to knock down something of its magnitude and skyline enhancement to put in more condos like some of the debate running around was.

Plus, were probably still paying taxes for it from 1983 and will be again, might as well fill'er up and get it back in the form of a "$100 Whitecaps Tax Rebate" :p.

5. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm very optimistic about the Caps at BC Place. Seattle looks like it'll be setting attendance records next year (i think they are going to have to open the upper deck) and Vancouver would be entering the league in a very similar situation and market. Plus the Caps will be playing the first ever game in "new" BC Place, which should be a huge draw in itself. i predict first year attendance at 35K dropping down to 30K a year after that

6. whiteymirbowl

whiteymirbowl Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Kamloops, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If the new waterfront stadium could be built, i think it would be a great place. However, BC Place will not be nearly as bad as some people way it will be. 30,000 on the lower level is not that much when marketed correctly. They could sell the end sell the end seats as cheap cheap seats to all the University kids in the LML. Even if it is not sold out, who cares, that would be tops in the league even with 3000 missing. Maybe in a few years if the Cap's begin to fade, a smaller stadium would work, but for now, BC Place is perfect. (Just dont open both sides of the upper deck cause it just looks empty sometimes)

7. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If the Caps can average around 30 000 at BC Place, the new Waterfront Stadium at 30 000 capacity would be perfect.

8. whiteymirbowl

whiteymirbowl Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Kamloops, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If thats the case then why build a stadium that they already have?

9. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think they would have a better revenue stream from an SSS they own and operate.

10. TO2988

TO2988 New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I think the Whitecaps should stay at BC Place.
    Why leave when you have a grade A facility? plus in 15 years the MLS will need 50,000 seat capacity stadiums

11. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they'd likely have to pay rent for every game and not get all (if any) money from parking and concessions.

12. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Lenarduzzi was on the Team 1040 today. Basically said that they had a meeting with the Port Authority and he couldn't talk about what when on, only that they are still talking. It sounded to he was a lot more optimistic today though than any other time in the past about the new stadium so I hope that is good news.
    As well, he confirmed interest from Mallett but he was not yet a part of the ownership team. It was also noted that Mallett is apparently friends with Don Garber. Read into that what you will.

13. Shootdapuck

Shootdapuck New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    I agree that BC Place will be great with the hole in roof, but the casual fan will grow tired of it by year 2. However, I am hopefull that if the SSS is built with a heritage look + coupled with its trendy downtown surroundings, nearby cruise ship terminal, rapid transit location, the waterfront stadium has all the potential to draw sell out crowds on its own (Kinda like Fenway or Wrigley Field) but with the BMO field atmosphere. :D IF you build it - we will come.

14. Shootdapuck

Shootdapuck New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    And heck- maybe an NHL Winter Classic hockey game in the rain to kick things off. HA!:eek:

15. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    Check the other thread with the links to news coverage...

In today's Province newspaper Mallet confirms that he will come on as an investor *after* Vancouver gets the franchise, not before.

Makes sense though really... there's no need for him to come on while they play in USL. He's already investing the so-called "human capital" that Steve Nash referred to prior to his official announcement... and by that I mean talking with the MLS bigwigs.

Todays article in the Province confirmed that Nash & Mallet met with Garber several times in the past year as Kerfoot's official representatives...

This is a fantastic set of circumstances lining up for Vancouver... both Nash & Mallet have made a point of sharing childhood memories aboutt Empire Stadium with the media. They're clearly trying to hammer home the point that they are lifelong fans of this club, not just fly by night investors.

16. TO2988

TO2988 New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Once Vancouver gets a team in 2011 they will start building the waterfront stadium.
    The renderings need to be re worked to have a capacity of 25,000

17. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    I think they actually had a 30K capacity expansion planned if they could get the BC Lions to sign on to the Waterfront stadium idea.

18. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that was just speculation.

19. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    At no time has the 30,000 seats been contingent upon the BC Lions' tenancy...

The Caps consulted with the Lions very early on. At that time the Lions politely said "thanks but no thanks" because they require 40,000 seats for big season matches, and 60,000 for playoff & Grey Cup finals.

The Caps last official proposal called for 15,000 seats to start on Kerfoot's land, even if they remained in the USL. This would have been be comprised of an east & west grandstand, and a much smaller south stand.

Had that design been approved at that time, it would have been built to allow expansion of the east & west grandstands to 30,000 if/when popularity of the Caps warranted it, not if/when the Lions moved in.

Expect some changes though if the plan moves forward on port property west of Kerfoot's land, or somewhere in False Creek (this seems to be the preferred alternative ID'd by both major mayoral candidates).

If Vancouver is approved for MLS in 2011, and if the port property or False Creek neighbourhood is the new location, I would then expect that a revised plan will come forward to start with 20,000 seats, expandable to 30K - 32K.

This is because the stadium will no longer be pushed up against the so-called "vulnerable people" and heritage buildings of Gastown and the downtown eastside. Hence, the larger seating tally will be viewed as more "socially responsible".

Did I mention that Vancouver's left wing NIMBY poverty pimps make me want to puke?