BC Place Roof Installation

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by TheIronShiek, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Yep, the new stadium has already held 3 CFL games. Seeing it on TV you wouldn't know that it's a temp stadium.

2. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Hi
    I have been told that the retractable roof on BC Place will only open about 1/3 of the field size.

I personally think that if this is the truth, that alot of people will be quite discouraged after spending half a season out doors at wonderful Empire.

3. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Until it starts to rain:rolleyes:

4. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I don't think it is the truth. There is a scale model of the new BC Place being shown and from the overhead shot of it the roof pretty much only covers the seats.
    That being said, it still won't be anything like Empire. I went to the Lions home opener and it was great. Of course I'm sure people will grumble about it when the fall rains come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    directly from the website:
    "The blue-sky opening is 100 metres by 85 metres — the same size as the field below."
    http://www.bcplacestadium.com/index.php/roof.html

Plus, (as shown in the renderings) the roof is quite a bit above the top of the upper bowl seats and it appears to be continuous, transparent glass in between. Obviously it's not going to the be the same as a true open roof stadium, but even when the roof is closed that will surely let in a lot of natural light.

6. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i've got to imagine with the weather in the Pac NW that at least a dozen times a year you are going to be quite thankful there is no "completely open stadium". that is one thing i will give SSFC fans credit for. whenever their is shite weather in other MLS cities you can see its effect at the gate but SSFC will sit thru basically any kind of weather and there have been some absolutely dreadful weather games in the last season and a half at Qwest.

7. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
  8. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Please keep this quote: The stadium will not be ready by July 2011; it will take longer than expected at this is new territory for the developers. It will be ready sometime in the fall. You all try to discredit me but this will come to pass. You will see.....

9. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    ok, seriously wtf are you smoking? There was a major news conference yesterday which was covered by all Vancouver media outlets where they announced it's on time and on budget and isn't expected to be fully finished until Fall 2011 which is something we've known for quite sometime now (I can see you and your sources are just catching up to speed now though). Despite that, as was mentioned in the Sun, the structural part of the roof is expected to be finished by July so theoretically the Caps and Lions could begin playing then.

10. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Please keep this quote: Tomorrow will not be Tuesday; According to my inside sources, tomorrow will in-fact be Saturday. You all try to discredit me but this will come to pass. You will see.....

11. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I said in other threads on this board that it would not be ready in JUly (before any news conference) weeks ago.

12. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    did you now? where abouts then? in your head doesn't count....

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348826
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1374369
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1374923
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329865
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1212191

I do see some articles/facts posted by others from January that state it's not anticipated to be finished until mid-summer 2011 which is widely accepted and I dont think anyone here is denying. So even if you did mention this "weeks ago" you're still behind the ball since it became public knowledge months ago.

13. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think people, not on this board, can possibly get confused with "stadium won't be finished until Fall" equates to the stadium not being open for business by the Summer.

The stadium will be available for WFC to play in the Summer but the entire refurbishment of the stadium will not be finished until Autumn in time for Grey Cup. This may mean the finishing touches is down to minor adjustments to the new roofing, installation of the clerestory glass around the stadium rim beam, cosmetic additions, etc.

The Terry Fox memorial outside the stadium is finally going to be dismantled and a new plaza will be built with a new memorial. So this could be one of the things that will be constructed post Summer '11 hence the stadium "not being finished" until Autumn.

14. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Now you are just being silly. The ROOF wont be ready until Fall 2011. You heard it from me; and I will gladly remind you when I am proven right.

15. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    No, we didn't hear it from you. We heard it from PavCo chairman David Podmore whose exact words were "Our objective is to have the permanent roof in place by July and then continue to install the retractable portion after that,"

16. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Yes, but i was saying this months ago.

17. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    as I said a couple posts ago, where? I even posted links to all the threads about BC Place or the Whitecaps stadium situation.

18. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I may not have posted it publicly, but I have been saying it to anyone that I know.

19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me just snicker here. Riiiiiiight. We believe you.... Honest.

20. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    canucks51 and Yoshou

Listen, in the following thread.. I posted on JUNE 25TH:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1472281

My post is the 4th in that thread, Where I clearly stated that the roof will not be ready by the summer.

I got you on that one. Thank you.

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends what you meant by not ready. It sounds like it will be ready to host games by July, but won't be done until the Grey Cup.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if it's not ready is it really a big deal? The Whitecaps already have a very nice temp venue in place at Empire Field.

23. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    and you're posting something that was common knowledge back in January. so what?

24. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    After being at Empire I would be happy if the Caps stayed there.

25. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    *searching in vain for a block/ignore button for Sheikh's posts*