BC Place Retractable Roof announcement today...

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by vancouversoccerman, Oct 23, 2009.

1. vancouversoccerman

vancouversoccerman New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver
  2. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the $65m currently put into interior refurbishment for the Olympics is in that $500m. I don't know why these local reporters keep missing that.

So the stadium is a positive thing as we'll have our club at a facility for 2011 but this really is still a temporary solution. I think our goal is still hopefully to have a proper football stadium for the Caps in a few years. Unless, the inner roof system turns out great and they install a modular grass system.

3. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  4. vancouversoccerman

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver
  5. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yea replacement BC Place with a new stadium wouldn't be a smart choice.

6. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Columbia City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Huzzahh!!!

'Bout bloody time!

Now we can talk about important things again- like logos, and sponsors! :)

7. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    GREAT NEWS!! i'm kind of surprised there is no mention of the P3 cost-sharing of the roofs which would have involved private investors-- like the BC Lions and the Caps-- to share in the revenues
    i still think there will be a lot more details coming forth that will allow this to happen

8. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    So what will Spiral bitch about now?

9. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I'm interested who is doing the temporary stadium at the old Empire stadium site and how it will be configured and look. I'm guessing seating will be at least 30,000 for the Lions. I suspect that the Whitecaps will be playing there for the entire 2011 season (Summer 2011 could easily mean up to Sept. 21st. 2011)

10. vancouversoccerman

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver
  11. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    for those who have not seen the german model of the retractable roofs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commerzbank-Arena

having read other news about the bc place stadium roofs, it seems like the P3 possiblity is still being discussed

12. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    It may be discussed but I'm guessing it may not go anywhere. The province isn't selling that land after all and are going to lease it. I'm guessing they don't want to get burned like they did with the Expo lands. It seems that the Province is trying everything in their power to pay for this themselves with some creative accounting.

13. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That new flythrough [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYG4PPYiJA"]video[/ame] is pretty awesome

14. vancouversoccerman

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver
    Just a couple of things on BC Place;

First, The BC Soccer Association has strongly endorsed the renovation:

Retractable roof plan is the right plan for BC Place
    http://www.bcsoccer.net/bcsa/Rotate...roof-plan-is-the-right-plan-for-BC-Place.aspx

Second, I think most of us understand that the government is going to take a lot of heat for this. It would have been politically easy for them to go with something second-rate, or walk away from the project altogether. They could have been yet another level of government that screwed over the Whitecaps, only this time it could have been fatal for our team.

But they didn't. They kept their word. They've taken action that will ensure the Whitecaps will continue to exist for years to come. And now they're going to get hit hard by their critics, including the NDP who have once again changed their position on the BC Place roof.

Whatever you may think of this government, I believe it's important to let our elected officials know when they've done something right. I also believe in publicly supporting good decisions against critics who are bent on shouting down good ideas. Supporting good decisions now makes it easier for everyone in the soccer community to work with government in the future on other projects (ie. the Waterfront Stadium).

If you support the Whitecaps, and the BC Place renos, I encourage you to drop a quick thank-you email to Premier Campbell and Kevin Krueger (The Minister responsible for BC Place). Letters to the editor supporting BC Place would also be a big help. I've listed some addresses below.

People are always willing to take a swing at governments when they screw up. But few people are willing to come to their defence or thank them when they do something right. I know they appreciate it a lot when it happens, and it encourages them to do more good things. I hope you'll take a moment to write.

Cheers,
    Bill Currie
    Friends of Soccer

MLA: Hon. Gordon Campbell
    gordon.campbell.mla@leg.bc.ca
    premier@gov.bc.ca

MLA: Hon. Kevin Krueger
    kevin.krueger.mla@leg.bc.ca

The Vancouver Sun
    To submit letters to the editor for publication in The Vancouver Sun newspaper:

sunletters@vancouversun.com.

The Province
    E-mail: provletters@theprovince.com

The Globe & Mail
    Letters@globeandmail.com

24 Hours (Vancouver)
    Online form at:
    http://rapids.canoe.ca/cgi-bin/reg/NR-register.pl?FORM_ID=24hrs_Vancouver_On_Your_Mind

Metro (Vancouver)
    Online form at:
    http://www.metronews.ca/Vancouver/comment/lettereditor

15. football_world

Jun 13, 2006
    A big win for soccer in BC and our tourism. I agree that we should continue to push for positive publicity on this as many BCers don't understand the long term benefits to our tourism, economy, and Vancouver's prestige with this plan.

16. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    New architectural renderings at the BC Place website. Larger size and a couple more drawings here - http://www.bcplace2011.com/#gallery,0

-It seems they also revised/enlarged the size of the roof opening to 119 yrds long x 92 wide.

-The roof will be closed during winter months.

-Preparatory works starts in Spring like waterproofing. The Auto show will be in there from 30/3 - 4/4 but all other shows after will move to the VTCC.

-Summer 2010 will see the removal of the roof.

-Summer 2011 will have substantial completion of the retractable roof.
    BC Place opens for events. The Whitecaps move back into BC Place in the Summer as well.

-Nov 2011 the roof will be completed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The renderings look great.

18. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The complaints from people when seeing those is the cables are so noticeable but what they didn't realise is that it's a drawing with a white background. In person the cables won't be as visible and would be similar to how noticeable the cables are on the arch at Wembley. Though there will be a hell of a lot more of them.

19. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Having watched the Olympic opening ceremonies I'm wondering if you'll be going with that golden "prairie turf"? :D

20. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    Grows pretty fast, doesn't it? Can't guarantee the flying kid will make our starting XI, though.

21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    similar cables at Commerzbank Arena in Frankfurt

[​IMG]

22. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The cables are not a distraction at all.

23. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I agree.

24. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    AT least we will get a new jumbo screen... the one in there now was state of the art in 1983! Its well past due

25. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

The one in there now is not the original. It is the one they bought from the Seahawks that used to be in the Kingdome.