BC Place Reno thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by NF-FC, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    I would not be surprised if playball2 is spiral on the V-board.

2. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Actually this rumour was sent to MLS Rumours before this thread was started again. I'm guessing that playball2 is the one spreading these "rumours". Apparently playball2 uses about 12 different usernames on various boards, sometimes 2 or 3 on the same board. He has been spouting this nonsense on various Canadian sites and there is ZERO foundation to back it up. He's probably a butthurt NDPer.

3. playball2

playball2 Red Card

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Fat chance the Whitecaps are ever going to outdraw the BC Lions. But they'll give them a run for their money.

I could see 50,000 for the first game. And then much smaller crowds afterwards.

Whitecaps fans are in for a rude shock in a few weeks when it comes to light the roof is dead.

Cause it is. Deal with it. The Legislature resumes tommorow in Victoria.

The money isn't there. Stop dreaming.

The Liberals are playing the same game with BC Place that they are with the HST.

I'm sorry the truth can hurt

4. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Ah, so it is Spiral. I no longer read the Voyageurs board so I wasn't aware he's up to his old tricks.

5. ShevaDani

ShevaDani Member

Jul 14, 2009
    MIGHTY EUROPE:D
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In the end,Whitecaps will play in MLS on which stadium?BC or waterfront?

6. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is the same crap that's been spread around the Skyscraper City and SS Page forums. towerguy and his many aliases is on those forums, gamesbids, and the Canucks board. Never accurate info.

Lenarduzzi on his interview at 'It's Called Football' basically said that there hasn't been any changes in the roof plan. Also, the Caps moving in to BC Place being contingent on the roof reno has never come up, 'cause the roof reno was never not going to happen. Recent Lions' comments read the same way. Lenarduzzi said that he is briefed regularly on meetings the Caps have with Pavco and everything seems the status quo so far.

If the Province decided to scrap the whole thing is possible, but we haven't heard anything concrete why they would...yet.

7. playball2

playball2 Red Card

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  8. playball2

playball2 Red Card

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  9. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. ShevaDani

ShevaDani Member

Jul 14, 2009
    MIGHTY EUROPE:D
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why it so much talking about the roof?What difference does it make?

11. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    It makes alot of difference. We most likely would not have got the franchise with out it. An open air stadium is a must to be even considered a "soccer specific" stadium. Without the retractable roof this is just a bland cavern to play in and not in line with the MLS's vision of stadia. It is a very big deal if this gets cancelled, do some reading about it.

12. TO2988

TO2988 New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    what would happen if they just removed the roof and wait for the retractable roof money for future renovations?
    rain doesn't affect soccer/football as much as baseball does

13. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Columbia City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Did any of you even WATCH this? She said "COULD". There was no hard news, no quote from the Government, no interviews, just an old clip from a Whitecaps FO guy edited finely. There is NO new info. This is crap journalism at its finest.

14. football_world

Jun 13, 2006
    If you refer to the article playball posted, there was official news from the government:

'“I think (the project) will have been delayed because . . . the bidders have agreed to hold their bids in place longer than anticipated,” B.C. Tourism Minister Kevin Krueger told reporters in Victoria.'

It's not officially cancelled, but it's obvious the politics are swaying against the roof and rennovations at this point.

15. football_world

Jun 13, 2006
    Several issues:

1) My understanding is the budget included rennovations to BC Place that would make it more soccer friendly (ie. the stadium would better support a 20K lower level atmosphere). The rennovations and roof were part of the MLS bid, which MLS may reconsider if it doesn't go through. (If the rennovations were not part of the budget, please correct me).

2) BC Place uses Astro Turf. It has to be played inside. However, they could replace it with Field Turf which would allow them to play outside. But the BC Lions would have to agree with playing on Field Turf outside as they are the other major tennant.

3) You just can't take a portion of the roof down like the original design for the retractible roof - look at the mockup video for the retractible roof and you will see the retractable portion makes up a smaller portion of the overall roof. Right now at BC Place, it's an inflatable dome so the whole dome needs to be removed. The problem is, BC Place probably isn't ready to deal with the rain on the rest of the stadium if it is opened up. Again, if you look at the original design for the retractable roof, only rain would get onto the field, and not the portion of the stadium around the field including the stands. To rennovate BC Place to allow it to deal with rain over the entire stadium would also cost $$$ and require a budget.

4) Even if $$$ were put aside for rennovations to deal with the rain if the inflatable dome were removed, the BC Lions would probably object to this because that means the crowds will get pelted with rain and ticket sales would be affected. Unlike other CFL cities, Vancouver is well known for the amount of rainfall it gets annually.

All said and done, the original retractable roof design would have kept rain off the crowds and prevented rain from hitting the rest of the stadium (except the field) which was part of the design. In addtion, the rennovations to make the lower level of BC Place a more friendly soccer atmosphere was also a factor in the MLS bid. Also, the retractable roof would have allowed the BC Lions to continue to play under a closed roof. There is no guarantee the BC Lions would accept playing in an open stadium and I doubt the Lions are nice enough to make sacrifices for the Whitecaps, especially if they perceive the Whitecaps as a competitor.

I would not be surprised if the MLS bid is in jepoardy if the roof and rennovations are cancelled.

16. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Columbia City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I was refering to the video that was linked yesterday.

As for the dome upsetting the plans of Vancouver 2011, I dont see that happening, the field turf will still be put in, BC Place can do a Seattle style cover on the upper levels. I mean if San Jose can get away with the Buck and KC with the little league field they currently play on, I dont see any problem with BC Place, it just will not be as cool.

Who knows, this might be the best thing for getting the Cap's own stadium built- providing a reason to get to better digs.

17. leftcoastkicks

Aug 20, 2009
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I sent a quick email to Gordon Campbell (BC's premier) reminding him that he is accountable to the public for promises made. I suspect he doesn't care much what I think (hasn't in the past), but a critical mass of emails may give him pause for thought--for a second--before making any decision to pull the plug. Let him know that we'll retract our support (if we supported him at all to begin with) should he ditch the roof. Here's the premier's email address-

premier@gov.bc.ca

18. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Let's be honest, Gorden Campbell most likely NEVER reads, or has knowledge of, what goes to that email address. Its just there for the illusion that we can email the premier.

19. leftcoastkicks

Aug 20, 2009
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Absolutely, but someone in his office reads them and they do make note of public sentiment particularly if there's a groundswell. That doesn't mean they'll act on it necessarily, but they do look at the numbers to gauge opinion. If they've floated this balloon out there to gauge response, let's be sure to let 'em know. Email, letters to editor, call in to talk shows. Hell, might as well do something, anything is better than nothing--perhaps. Maybe it'll only count as "getting it off my chest," which feels better than punching a wall.

20. football_world

Jun 13, 2006
    This is an unknown. The plan was to put the Fieldturf in along with the retractable roof. But there is no guarantee the BC Lions would accept Fieldturf without the retractable roof - none of us can comment for the BC Lions.

$$$. It will cost $$$ to remove the inflatable dome, and install a Seattle style cover. The lower levels would also have to be able to sustain rain (and it rains in Vancouver) and rennovations would have to be made to ensure the lower level is flood resistant. This all costs $$$. Also, there is no guarantee the BC Lions would want to play without a roof. For all we know, the BC Lions may have agreed to the original plan because they were assured they could play with a covered roof, which the retractable roof provided.

21. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

They already play on FieldTurf, so why wouldn't they "accept" new fieldturf? Besides it's not up to them.

22. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Yes, this whole thing could be just so they can test the public to see if they can get away with cancelling it. If enough noise is made, they may not. I am nervous nonetheless.

23. football_world

Jun 13, 2006
    LeftCoastKicks is right. If we hit critical mass, Campbell's staffer will pass on the message to him. It takes two minutes to send an e-mail to that address. Two minutes is not alot if you're going to enjoy the Whitecaps in the MLS for years to come.

24. football_world

Jun 13, 2006
    Please send an e-mail to that address and another one to Minister of Tourism Kevin Krueger:

kevin.krueger.mla@leg.bc.ca

25. playball2

playball2 Red Card

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Shouldn't Don Garber step in here and start making some comments? Nothing from MLS offices yet...