BBC: "Voting Error" Gave London 2012 Olympics

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by kwik1980, Dec 23, 2005.

1. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/4553116.stm

The article makes a huge assumption, but the gist is this:

During the third round of ballotting, with the participants being London, Paris and Madrid, a vote was erroneously cast for Paris. The intended recipent was Madrid. This would have caused a Paris-Madrid tie, and a vote-off to determine which city was eliminated. The thought is this: London votes would have gone to Madrid, believing them easier to beat than Paris, Paris is then eliminated, and THEIR votes would have gone to Madrid in the final ballot. The belief is that would have been enough to put Madrid over the top, instead of London.

Like I said, it's a huge assumption, and it ignores that Barcelona had the games in 1992, but I wonder why the story even goes out if there isn't a little something there.

2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    But it was a secret ballot, how does he know who anyone voted for?

3. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    I can't believe the IOC allows members who can not choose one of 3 boxes to tick without ballsing it up!! I could do that for a living :D

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other news, Diebold has lost their contract with the IOC.

5. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? The US lets folks who can't even punch a hole in a peice of paper vote for President. ;)

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  7. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So Paris was screwed anyway, I'll sleep better tonight. :D :(

8. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005

Bush had it monitored.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It also was reported that a terrorist cell erroneously bombed London only after one of the terrorist accidentally voted to bomb Madrid instead of Paris. A vote for Paris would have created a Paris-Madrid tie, and since Madrid had already been bombed, the chosen city would have been Paris. Instead, the terrorists got all mixed up and lost count, and so they figured they might as well bomb whichever city gets the Olympic games, which erroneously turned out to be London.

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    When the result was first announced, there were media reports that the Finns had switched their votes from Paris to London because Chirac had insulted Finnish cuisine! This latest story needs to be filed with reports of all those old people in Palm Beach who claimed that they voted for the wrong presidential candidate in 2000.

11. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This just shows how stupid runoff voting systems are. No matter what system is used it won't be perfect, but it is inevitable that such a voting system would be full of corruption and insincere voting to get desired results. If they just used Approval voting (everyone votes for all the cities they like) then the gamesmanship could be avoided and it would only take a single round of easy voting to do it.

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    So the English cheat at yet another major sporting event?

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Thus, we should return to the more traditional and time-tested system of simply bribing the voters!

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That works too. Why shouldn't the city that can pay the most get the olympics?

15. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i like the free market approach.