BBC radio

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Beau Dure, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Probably a question for any British folks who are perusing ...

I listen to BBC Five Live a good bit online. I sometimes try out their other shows, but I haven't found many music shows I like. Liz Kershaw on Radio 6 seems OK, but too many of their music offerings are either bad dance music or weird metal.

If I'm someone with good memories of XTC, the Sundays and other such intelligent alt-rock of the 80s and 90s, which shows should I check out?

2. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Might not do exactly what you want, but give John Peel a go.
    He's on Radio 1 late nightish.

3. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the same memories as you. That was such a golden age for not just music, but British music in particular. If you're stuck on the BBC, I'd recommend Steve Lemacq's show on BBC Radio One. If not, I'd check out Xfm.
    If you can sit through the interspersed 50 Cent, Nelly, Nickleback and Limp Bizkit they play, you'll find some real gems.

4. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I think I heard Xfm while I was last in London.

I occasionally check out John Peel, and I'm aware of his history, but he too frequently opens with something I simply don't want to hear.

I'll check Lemacq.

At least the BBC is a bit more predictable than RTE, whose Radio 1 and Radio 2 offerings are all over the map in the same hour.

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are looking for that same 80's-90's progressiveness in a modern form I highly suggest you listen to Zane Lowe's show on Radio 1

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard New Member

Oct 16, 2000
    London
    Tom Robinson does a show on Radio 6 at 8pm. That's the one I'd go for.

7. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Is that "2-4-6-8 Motorway" Tom Robinson?

8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard New Member

Oct 16, 2000
    London
    The Very Same !

It's a really nice mix of old and new stuff, a little less obscure than Peel and none the worse for it.

Cheers
    CM

P.S are you going to be in London any time soon?

9. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Radio 1

There may be something like what you want later at night on Radio 1, but you have get past "Bangin' house choons wiv DJ Scrotum", or the joke that is Tim Westwood. I fear Zane Lowe will be a butt-licking sycophant trying to look credible, like when he did MTV 2 but I could be wrong.

Just don't touch Radio 1 during the day, it's simply awful. It's strictly playlisted with crap and the DJ's are all tossers.

Radio 2 is more for the middle-aged market, whilst radio 4 and 5 are more news orientated (4 the more serious, but has comedy, wheras 5 is a bit lighter).

Not too sure about digital radio, because I don't have it.

10. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Wow, I had no idea he was a BBC jock...I checked his profile on the BBC website, and am surprised to see his CV so broad. I've gotta hear his show now. Thanks for the tip.

There's an outside chance that I'll be in London just before Christmas, but most likely not until February. I was actually considering flying in special for a Wonderstuff/Voice Of The Beehive gig I was invited to...that's gotta be a hoot!

11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Re: Radio 1

I like 5 -- just looking to broaden my horizons a bit.

Good suggestions, all. Thanks.