BBC poll: Nearly half of Britons never heard of Auschwitz

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's a bit simplistic, isn't it Coach?

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The first three points can be all filed into an "effects of the war" category.I would add America's refusal to join the League of Nations.

Incapable political leaders?Well,some were capable, but on the wrong side mostly.

I think the inevitable part of WWII occurred in the Pacific.

The new technology point is interesting.I don't feel people really think,"Oh,look, new weapons!Let's use them."Is that what he meant?

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    No. First of all new technology allowed Germany to build up an army as fast as they did, secondly new weapons allowed for their blitzkrieg tactics.

4. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Yeah, but WWII is a bit easier to figure out than WWI.

Perhaps I should have said "We didn't know the correct procedure on how to effectively 'step down' Germany at that point".

That, and a worldwide economic depression.

5. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Third: Spain's civil war allowed both sides to test their new weapons and tactics.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've always felt that the ludicrously unfair terms of the Treaty of Versaille, (in which Georges Clemenceau and, to a lesser extent, Lloyd George were the prime movers), were a significant factor in WWII in that they created the conditions for Hitler to argue his case that Germany had been harshly treated. His criticism of the politicians in the Reichstag was made possible... they were part of the 'November criminals' together with communists and international Jewry... who had committed the 'Dagger blow'.

It must have also been obvious to Hitler that the right could do pretty much what it wanted and nobody was going to argue... with strong Fascist parties in Italy and Spain being given free rein and, in many quarters, even supported because they were 'anti-communist' it looked a safe bet that no one would argue.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Actually, the technology and weapons stockpile issue is more true for WWI than for WWII.

8. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pretty much sums everything up, and to further your point the fact that most German soldiers during WW1 weren't aware that Germany was closer to defeat than they were to victory, only gave Hitler's "Stab in the Back" ideal more popularity.

And like most have already posted, the main weakness of the Treaty of Versailles was the fact that the US Senate would vote against joining Wilson's proposed League of Nations, which could be argued, would have prevented Hitler's eventual rise to power.

And with regards to Japan, them attacking the US is something that bewilders most historians.
    Some would argue the US and other Big Nations forcing the Asian nations to "Open" their markets was one of the main causes.

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I partly agree Andy. The Germans felt humiliated and Hitler played on that. But again it was a combination of factors, you can't really say this or that caused WWII.

10. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you expand on this? While I agree that a "stronger" league might have helped, Hitler left the league. I'm not sure that the participation of a very pacifistic and isolationist US would have made much difference. I can see a much stronger argument that the great depression that undermined American banks and caused them to pull the loans they had made to Germany was a major contributing reason for Hitler's rise. I am very interested in your POV however.

I don't think that "most historians" are bewildered on this point. Japan was being starved of oil and other critical raw materials. It could not seize the Dutch East Indies, which was the best Pacific basin source of oil, without bringing the US to war. Most of the historians I know and have read see the Japanese as being in a box they could not get out of. Add to this the fact that very few Japanese had any knowledge of America (Yamamoto was an exception), and you have a situation that is ripe for startegic miscalculation.

11. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maby if British was run by Jews most would know about Auschwitz, like Americans.

But anyway, so what? I find it great that at least 50% have heard of it. And let's face it most have heard of the holocaust if they actually went to school.

But so what anyway? What difference does it make? Britain is still going to be ruled by the same type of politicians (who would have heard of it and know it quite well more so than British culture of the 21st century) since Parliament is one big click allowing only toffs in.

Does it really matter?

no

12. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London

i agree - the results of the poll paint a misleading picture of awareness in this country, if you asked "what was the holocaust" and then "what was auschweitz" you'd get a very high score on the 1st question and a much higher result on the second than if you just asked them blind "what was auschweitz"

13. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London

obviously versailles, with hindsight, is a clear cause - but i'm sure you can understand why it was put in place in the first place. the trouble is that once it was there it couldn't be dismantled until it was already too late.