BBC feature on Adu

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Scotty, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
  2. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is funny, from another BBC report on Freddy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/football/features/newsid_3240000/3240673.stm

When did Lalas play for Coventry? I think they have him mixed up with Cobi Jones. I can see it, they look so much alike.

3. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "A warning has already been sounded by Adu's current coach in the US, Ray Hudson, who runs the Washington-based Major Soccer League club DC United. Hudson"

One or two details are wrong here...maybe next year Adu will be with DC United.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I assume they do this so they can later on sign all the best and brightest from these acadamies? Does anyone else have any misgivings about these kind of setups? As in, leave our kids alone.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Liverpool can sign all the best and brightest they want but unless the kids have EU passports they'll never play for Liverpool.

This smacks of a marketing scheme, not a serious talent raid by Liverpool. Reebok sells shoes, Liverpool sells jerseys, and both parties probably make $$$ from the academy dues, too.

Betcha a dime to another buck that these academies, unlike pro youth academies anywhere else in the world, are pay to play. In other words, mechanisms for separating U.S. parents from their greenbacks, as opposed to true development programs.

6. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's possible that Liverpool sees that there are a number of young Americans who can get EU passports and need the type of academy training that they can provide.

Thus identifying prospects.....and separating some parents from their dollars.

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I'm sure there will be scholorships for those kids who can't afford to pay for it. I went to Catholic school and there was aid available for "at need students". It just happened that all those students ended up starting on our basketball or football team. I'm sure the same thing would happen with these academies and I'm positive that Liverpool would have some sort of contract with those scholorship players, meaning transfer fees for those kids that sign with MLS or a foriegn club

8. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    At first yes, but due to EU work permits and the benefits of bringing these kids to the attention of US Soccer feds, I have to say the benefits far outweigh the negatives..

And whose to say that all these kids will run to Europe in 5 years, thumbing their noses at MLS? Alot can happen in 5 years when it comes to image and quality of play of our young league..

My point is, Europe might not as much of the "promise land" it is now...

9. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Great article - nice catch

I found this particularly enlightening:

"Young players: what's the score?

* Each year, Britain's 92 league clubs sign 500 players aged 16-19 to three-year scholarship programmes. They are paid £45-£90 a week in the first year, £50-£120 in the second year and an unlimited amount in the third. They are required to spend a minimum of 12 hours per week on education and personal development."

This is what some of our young americans are there on - Mascarenhas, Will Johnson, the kid at Middlesborough. If Danny S. goes to Europe it will be via this

10. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Are you sure GersMan? I thought the main reason that Szetela was looking to Europe was because his family was in a tight position and, obviously, he could make a good deal there. Hell, even a developmental player in MLS makes more than £120 a week. I'm sure MLS could offer a much more attractive financial offer than this, along with a significantly better chance to play immediately.

11. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    quote from the independent:

"paul gascoigne was a little fat boy at that age. no one would have gambled three quid, let alone three million."

HAHAHAHA!