BBC edits out the word terrorist

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Jul 12, 2005.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/07/12/nbbc12.xml

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Very PC and all, but remember after Oklahoma, everyone was shouting 'Arab,' until McVeigh and his cronies were picked up.

Ultimately, I doubt that it'll be anyone other than Al-Qaeda, or an off-shoot, but even if it is someone or some other group absolutely not connected with the Middle East, they too should be/will be called terrorists. A moot point really........

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    No me. I was pretty sure that Arabs weren't responsible because there aren't many Jews in Oklahoma.

4. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    this one is so obvious to be done by Arabs after all we have all those shops in Edgware Road owned by Jews ;)

5. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need to call a spade a spade; if it were Muslim terrorists involved in London bombing, then they should be specifically blamed and there is no need for politically-correct speech in the slightest! Terrorists!

6. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    They are simply misunderstood religous activists

Sheesh and I thought that was easy to see......... :rolleyes:

7. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    you are a funny guy.... I'll be sure to take your advice and address criminals by their race and religion not their name or their organization names ;) ....

anyways kudos on totally missing the point I was trying to make!

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Actually (and sorry to spoil the party) this has nothing to do with being "PC". This is a direct result of the language used in the Beeb's governance charter, which forbids the organisation from reporting on events using what is termed as "pejorative language". In other words, the Beeb should always strive to report facts in a value-free manner.

Naturally, some instances will arise where that leads to outwardly pernickety use of language (i.e. changing "terrorists" to "bombers") but that's a tiny price to pay for maintaining the organisation's freedoms, granted by that same charter.

But hey - the "it's PC gone mad" spiel is more fun I suppose. Worn out, repetitive and reactionary ... but more fun.

9. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

So basically what you are saying is blame it on the British predisposition to be tight-a$$es ?

It all makes sense now

10. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yes. it's only fair this way after all American sense of humor was blamed for the crap they said on FOX news about these attacks!!

11. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

But see FOX is garbage and the BBC isn't.

But I do give you credit for the light speed FOX is evil defense

12. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    and the love that I harbor for BBC... I'm gonna name our first child George and see to it that he'll become a plumber.... ;)

13. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Well the George part I can understand

As for him being a plumber, I suppose it's a good trade. See I'm not a plumber, I work in IT which you could draw parallels to plumbing I guess in that there are times I unclog the pipes if you will, but kudos to you for being the 1,235 person to make that incorrect assumption

14. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lighten up buddy it was just an easy word that had "plmr" in it... but the true kudos again goes to you for counting the ppl who made that mistake!

15. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

:rolleyes:

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll have to explain to me why one wouldn't refer to the perpetrators of the bombings as "terrorists."

17. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Actually, the Beeb will have to explain that. I call them terrorists too. But I can appreciate the (entirely technical) point that doing so before the investigation has been concluded falls under the category of "pejorative language". I never said it had to make sense, nor that we should all follow suit. I was merely having a little tinkle on the right-winger/PC blah blah before it gathered it's usual frothy, unstoppable momentum.

18. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Oh we knew you were just being a d!ck. It's expected of you

19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes. That's right. I'm the one being a dick ...

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Main Entry: pejorative
    Function: adjective
    : having negative connotations; especially : tending to disparage or belittle

I still can't wrap my head around how calling them terrorists is wrong. They bombed innocent people, of course whatever we call them is going to have a negative connotation, but "terrorist" is no more pejorative than "bomber." Why not just get it over with and call them "a bunch of ****sucking cowards who need to have their nuts removed by a wood chipper?" But the BBC is too civil for that. Where's Fox News and Brit Hume when you need them?

21. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Admitting ones problems is the first step to recovery

22. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:

What the hell are you talking about? He's simply explaining the situation as he understands it.

23. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Don't worry, it's just that I'm wasting value "PC" ranting time. George is a busy man - Oprah's on in a minute.

24. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Matt, what's it like to be a c0ck holster ?

Unless she's on Bloomberg or CNN, I don't think I'll get to see her

Thank god for Tivo however. I sure hope that Dr Phil is on today. Or better yet that Tom Cruise fella !

25. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well like I said, it's one of those anomalies of a codified way of communicating that are the by-product of having a charter which does as much as the BBC Charter does for ensuring that the Beeb is the excellent output broadcaster it is. Of course it's silly, but it's also just formulaic, automatic and largely inconsequential. Only if you immediately create a mind's eye vision of a load of wishy-washy apparatchiks going "You can't say that" and sending each other tortured memos can you acutally eke some form of a story out of this.