Bayern Munich Transfer Update thread part 2

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by MikeLastort2, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parthian

Parthian New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    (A) If you could not see how flagrantly awful that foul was, and the entire Aussie team vehemently reacting to it you should watch the game again! . He went out of his way to hurt Popovic, and should have have been red carded you should watch the game again its very easy to see. you might also have not noticed notice Schweinsteiger “missing” from Germany’s most crucial game, because of card troubles, reciveing yet another yellow card, after the Australlian incident.

Bottom line he is young, capable of making costly mistakes in crucial situations.It is not his time yet.

(B) I never said Karimi will start right away, I only reported, and gave my approval for Magath’s announced planes which he specifically outlined his vision for BM, where he declared he would pull Ballack back and place Karimi in as the AM. When this is going to happen is anybody’s guess but personally, unless Magath wants it to happen that bad, that soon I don’t see Karimi starting until at least several weeks into the season.

2. Parthian

Parthian New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Btw for your refrence on Schweinsteiger foul (In case you didn't actually watch the game) ..

Australia lodges official complaint
    AAP

Angry Australian officials have lodged an official complaint with FIFA over the German tackle which stomped defender Tony Popovic out of the Confederations Cup.

Socceroos coach Frank Farina blasted the tackle by German midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger in Wednesday's 4-3 loss in Frankfurt - which appeared a deliberate studs-up assault on Popovic's ankle when the ball had gone.

Popovic was on crutches and won't know the full extent of the injury for the next couple of days until heavy swelling on his ankle subsides.

But he will be out for at least three weeks, ending his Confederations Cup.

Schweinsteiger's tackle amazingly escaped unpunished, but Farina is hoping FIFA may take disciplinary action against the German.

"The tackle was a disgraceful tackle and we have made an official complaint about it because Popovic won't take any more part in the tournament - he's out," Farina said.

"For me when you talk about fair play (FIFA's motto), that's unacceptable. Everyone's professional players."

"I'm not sure what the disciplinary process is, that's up to FIFA."

"But if it stops those sort of tackles happening again, then it's served its purpose."

Popovic has not yet watched a replay of the Schweinsteiger tackle - and said he'd probably prefer not to see it.

"I think it would make me a little more frustrated," he said.

"It wasn't a great challenge and it was more disappointing to be injured in that way."

Doubly disappointing for the Crystal Palace centre-back is that if the injury does become a worst-case scenario, it could interfere with the club's pre-season training.

After winning back his first-team place late last season, as Palace was relegated from the English Premier League to The Championship, Popovic was hopeful of staving off the challenges by the time the season opened in August.

But he was upbeat about being fit for the start of Palace's pre-season, confident it will be no longer than a three-to-four week injury.

"I'm not too concerned about that. Pre-season training starts in three or four weeks and hopefully I'll be there or thereabouts to start training," he said.

3. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Arsenal wouldn't do it. Viera means more to them than Ballack does to Bayern. And they are two different types of player. Arsenal would need a Ballack with Viera, not in place of him.

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

EXACTLY!! I can't see what Catfish was on about.

Ballack is replaceable. Doesn't it say anything to you guys that Ballack had to go to Bayern to finally win something??

Don't you remember that Bayern didn't win in Ballack's first season??

As I said back when I first started posting on the Bayern boards, Bayern won titles long before Ballack and Bayern will win titles long after he's gone.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You are so right. But concerning my praise of Ballack, I ment that Ballack is amazing and if Bayern truly wants to compete for CL glory they need him. They still can compete and be favorites to win The German Double without him, but they are just so much tougher with him.

Hey if you can transfer his and fill some other needs and get some cash, then it's a deal worth looking into. Remember you will face him in Europe because only the big guns will pursue him and he will only want to go play for them.
    Go easy on me.....lol.

6. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Footy and I are not criticising Ballack and we both recognize his importance to the team. Hey I understand where you are coming from on this....I felt the same way, but finally got over it. :eek: :p

Personally...I would love it if he stayed, but I don't think Bayern would be that worse off if he left. I have more concern about our forwards and defense than our midfield.

Teams have won European titles w/ much less.

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly!

And Ballack didn't exactly set the world on fire in his one trip to the Champions' League Final. IMHO, Lucio was Bayer's best player that evening.

Is it just a coincidence that Bayern didn't win with Ballack and Ze Roberto, but won when they got those guys Lucio???

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know, supporters can become emotionally attached to a player and not think about the big picture....forgive me, lol. I too think that Bayern need help up front and in back, they are a friggin ROCK in the MF.

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Defense wins championships we all know that and in the last year I have grown to really like Lucio. Just like how over the past 3-4 yrs that I have followed football, I have more respect and admiration for defenders than when I began. Everyone loves the glory of goals, but shutting people down is vital.

10. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  11. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    actually footyfan, bayern DID win the double in ballacks first season in 2002-2003 when ballack did actually play quite well, albeit in a position with more responsibility accounting for his relatively lower goal return than during his last season at leverkusen...

13. Locke13

Locke13 New Member

May 14, 2004
    Centerport, LI, NY
    This is the first time I have heard anything about this. I watched the Australia game, and I don't remember anything overtly intentional about the foul. I might have missed it though. It could have been an awful tackle.

However, you really shouldn't judge a player on one incident. Of course he is young, and capable of making mistakes, but so is everybody else. Frankly, I am much less worried about Schweini making mistakes than some other players much older and more experienced than he is.

His performance throughout this season COMPLETELY merit a starting position next season. In some games, he has put the team on his shoulders (away at Wolfsburg). He was Bayern's best player in their most important game of the season, the second leg of the tie against Chelsea. He shredded Gallas on the right side. He scored crucial goals (away at Chelsea), and he played a major part in Bayern's second half surge. I think you may want to look at his performances at Bayern before criticizing him for one incident away from the club.

I didn't realize Magath had said that. If he did, than I apologize. But I don't think Ballack will be pulled back into the holding role. He was put there at the beginning of last season, and he struggled. Once Demichelis was put into that position, and Ballack was pushed forward, it suddenly clicked on for Bayern. Many would say that was the turning point in the season. I don't think those two positions will change. However, if Ballack is sold during the summer, it could be totally different.

I'm still not sure how Karimi is going to fit into the team. Unless what you say is really true, that Ballack will take the holding role and Karimi the attacking role. However, I think this was severely undermine Bayern's defensive capabilities. Ballack is not the defender that Demichelis is, and Karimi, from what I can tell, is certainly not the defender Ballack is. Ballack provides offensive inspiration moving forward, which would be lost if he moved into the holding role, but he also provides defensive support, tracking back to make imporant tackles. He is also very fit, something that Karimi has to work on.

14. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I stand corrected. For some reason, I thought Ballack played one more season with Leverkusen.

I should have remembered because Leverkusen flirted with relegation that season too.

Thanks for pointing that out!

However I still believe it says something about Ballack that he had arguably the best team in the league around him at Leverkusen and he still couldn't lead them to glory.

I think it says something that like so many other players in the past who couldn't get over the hump on their own, he had to move to Bayern to finally win something.

15. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    See...I don't think Bayern would ever find another Ballack, just like they never found another Effenberg.

In one way or another, they'll continue and who knows, maybe they'll pick up another great talent along the way. I want Ballack to stay and possibly play out his career with Bayern. He could establish a legendary career like Zidane if he keeps winning domestic championships with Bayern and the CL so he doesn't neccessarily have to move to become legendary. No matter how much german football is underrated and overlooked, winning the CL is always recognized.

On another note, I doub't FCB will make any more major signings...I think the team is ready to go!

17. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i agree... i noticed that maursberger played a full half in the 19-0 friendly so he may be the youth CB promoted to the professional team to complete the squad...

certainly dont see us entering the transfer market this summer anymore, either...

18. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    More "contract negotiations" through the media

Bayern battle for Ballack

Bayern Munich boss Uli Hoeness says he is confident that Michael Ballack will extend his current contract at the Allianz Arena.

19. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, don't buy into everything you read. Did you notice the only people quoted in that article are Bayern officials??

When Ballack or his agent say chances are he stays, then I'd buy into it.

Right now, I think it's just what DF said. More negotations through the media.

I think Ballack is seriously still trying to consider what he wants to do next. I think Hoeness is right when he says this is the most important contract of Ballack's career and Ballack knows it.

I do think Ballack is trying to decide if he wants to finish his career at Bayern or if he wants to reach for higher stars somewhere like Manchester, London, Turin, Milan, Barcelona or Madrid.

Like it or not, Bayern is just seen as the big fish in a shallow pond outside of Germany and for the most part, I think that assessment is right on.

In the end, I think Ballack will stay at Bayern, but those articles are just Bayern officials trying to pressure Ballack into extending with them.

That's how Bayern does business. Not a thing wrong with it.

21. Matschr

Matschr New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Bayern is one of few top-teams which doesn't buy players like psychos. Bayern seldom had to gave up players to a other top-club. Bayern surely doesn't have too less money.

22. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I say we put a gun to his head and make him extend the contract. :D

23. Matschr

Matschr New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    I dont't know why star-players often are switching to other teams. What is the difference betwean rich and richer?

24. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well...the difference is money...more money is always better and more tempting than less money...also, if Ballack were to leave...it would be to have a better chance at European success if you look at how the teams that want him have done in the CL in recent seasons.

For Ballack to be truly recognized as a legend he must prove to Europe what the german people think of him. If he stays in die Bundesliga, people outside Germany unfortunately will never see him that way.

25. Matschr

Matschr New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Many outside Germany see him as a superstar. He will be a legend if he stays, because this Bayern-team can win the CL ;) Also last year they had a good chance.