Bay Arena....

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Catfish, Oct 26, 2003.

1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The stadium?! Oh come on man!! Stuttgart's stadium isn't really a football stadium either and they don't try saying the stadium is the reason for lack of crowd noise!

The reason Bayern fans are usually quiet is not the stadium. I've attended MANY matches there too, and it can get quite loud, but it doesn't happen that much.

BTW, I think I was at the match you attended too.

What keeps them quiet compared to many other stadiums is their expectation of success. They are spoiled.

Other fans feel they have to help push their clubs on to success while Bayern fans simply wait for it to happen.

I do agree with you when you say Bayern fans are the loudest when they face big opponents.

It goes back to what I just said. When they play other big clubs, the fans know success might not "just happen" as they are used to and they get into it.

However, against many other opponents, that stadium, when compared to some others, like the Arena auf Schalke and Westfalenstadion, is like a morgue.

That's not the stadium. That's the overall attitude of Bayern fans.

You hear them like you said, where there is another "big" opponent on the pitch, when they score and when they are about to lose.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't "dead" fans, but they aren't as loud as many others in the Bundesliga.

2. HeyaBVB

HeyaBVB New Member

May 4, 2005
    Kiel, Germany
    You see, we Borussen don't even need a Big opponent ... we ain't have that arrogancy , we are loud for big opponents as well as for small.

3. HeyaBVB

HeyaBVB New Member

May 4, 2005
    Kiel, Germany
    Keith, they are just arrogant, like the players, like the managers ... Bayern fans really lost touch , the forgot what it means to be true fans . mostly they are success fans. Imho, if bayern would suddenly fight against relegation , it always can happen, if the players have a bad year. The fans would just not help the team ... they would jump into live boats, while the ship is sinking. Not as true fans who would try to help getting the water out of the boat.

4. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Expansion seems to start after 2005/06. 2 new upper tiers will be added to the Main and opposite stand. Each wil hold 4.000 seats so that we will end at appr. 32.000 seats. Maybe some seats on the North stand will be converted to terraces to meet supporters' demands.

Stadium could looke like this (though not the definite design):

[​IMG]

5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If they raise the "Haupttribune", do you think that will affect the hotel operation??

I'd think they'd raise the other stands.

But, you did say this isn't the definite design! Sorry! :)

6. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    No, it's mostly the stadium. Stuttgart's stadium has a roof to keep the noise in. The Olympiastadion only has a roof over the Ehrentribüne, where there is no noise to keep in.

7. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion

The (Lindner-)hotel is on the left, behind the goal IIRC. So it won't be affected.

8. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you should check your information again.

That roof goes two thirds of the way around the Olympiastadion. The only part that isn't at least partially covered is the "Gegentribune". You know, the section directly across from the "Haupttribune" or as you called it, the "Ehrentribune".

I know you guys have to make excuses for Bayern fans not being as loud as some others, but fact is fact.

I saw most of my major matches in Munich. I saw more matches there than I did in Dortmund simply because Munich was a lot closer to where I lived.

I can't blame Bayern fans for not getting "up" for every team. They are so used to victory there, they often just sit around and wait for it to happen.

9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Okay, I'll compromise and give you that only half of the stadium is covered, and coincidentally that mostly includes the bigwigs and the family section, who are not a noisy demographic:

http://www.stadionwelt.de/stadionwe...onfotos&tribuene=stadionfotos_auf_einen_blick

I'm not making excuses for anyone. I hate Bayern as much as the next guy, but you cannot compare a big, spread-out stadium with a track and only half-covered with a pure soccer stadium that has a roof to keep the noise in. I've been to the Olympiastadium a couple of times, once versus Bayern and once versus 1860, and the fact is that the stadium just doesn't keep the noise in.

10. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, did you look at all of the pictures? It's as I told you, two-thirds of the stadium is covered by the roof. The only part completely uncovered is the "Gegentribune".

It's plain as day.

Trust me. I've been to most of the BL stadiums more than once. Bayern fans are not one of the loudest in the league even with the stadium being taken into account.

As you said one time before, the new stadium should make a difference, but the noise levels still won't hold a candle to the Westfalenstadion or the Arena auf Schalke........

Those fans just aren't that loud. The loudest I've ever heard that stadium was for a 0-0 draw between Bayern and Dortmund on a Sunday night in 1997

11. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Alright, this is a stupid argument, but this picture...

[​IMG]

... clearly shows that the roof only covers half the stadium.

12. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's more than half. Look at the sides.

You are right. Stupid argument.

I've only been to the place over 100 times......

13. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

Arrgh!!! Okay, I'm glad that the roof covers two-thirds of the stadium in your fond memories, but in that picture it's clearly only half!

14. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Look at your photo again. On the left, the "roof" clearly goes past the central stands where the Bayern "ultras" normally stand. It goes about another three sections over.

On the right, where the 1860 fans normally stand/sit, it covers more than that much area past the center section.

It's not my fond memories, it's fact! Anyone who's ever sat or stood in those areas knows it.

15. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I keep looking at the photo, and it keeps looking like it's only half the stadium. The picture does not lie my friend. But whatever, this argument is just inane. What is not inane is that when this much of a stadium...

[​IMG]

... or this much...

[​IMG]

... is left open to the elements, the atmosphere will suffer. And I'm not even arguing that Bayern fans are terrific and loud and passionate, because both home and away they are not. But the Olympiastadion is a complete passion-killer, so to speak, and anyone who has ever watched a game there will attest to that.

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've watched over 100 matches there and think that's incorrect.

I also think anyone who lets the fact that a stadium is open "kill their passion" isn't much of a fan to begin with. You only cheer when you are "comfortable"?? Come on.

In an earlier response, I said the loudest I heard the place was in a 0-0 draw between Bayern and Dortmund in a Sunday night match.

I was in the open side of the stadium that night with my son and it rained. Rained like a SOB. And that side of the stadium was clearly the loudest.

17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    No, you misunderstand me. It has nothing to do with being comfortable; when you attempt to cheer in an open stadium the noise gets sucked out, and this impairs the atmosphere. It shouldn't, but it does, which is why they added the roof when the built the HDC for the Galaxy - not to keep out the rain, but to keep in the noise.

18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Understand now. Thanks for clearing that up.

In my times in the open area, bad weather never stopped the cheering and singing. When it's actually very loud in the Olympiastadion, you can tell.

But I do know what you mean. I can't wait to get up to the new center in Frisco to see FC Dallas and view what is supposed to be "one step better" than the HDC.......

19. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion

Just to clear that up - plain wrong what you posted.

28. Juni 2005 13:45 Uhr [​IMG]
    Bayer AG sehr großzügig

Bisher war es ein gut gehütetes Geheimnis, wieviel Geld der Chemie- und Pharmakonzern Bayer AG in seine Fußball-Tochter Bayer 04 Leverkusen investiert.

Wie der "Express" in Erfahrung gebracht hat, wurde der Bundesligist in den vergangenen vier Jahren mit 199,8 Millionen Euro unterstützt.

"In guten wie in schlechten Zeiten stehen wir zur Fußball GmbH. In der Saison 2002/2003 war die Situation nicht einfach. Da haben wir Hilfestellung in einem gewissen Umfang gegeben", sagte der Sportbeauftragte Meinolf Sprink.

http://www.sport1.de/coremedia/generator/www.sport1.de/News/Fussball/Bundesliga/Meldungen/fus_20bun_20bayer_20bekam_20200_20millionen_20von_20ag_20mel.html

The report says that Bayer AG pumped next to 200 Mio Euro into their football daughter over the last four years. That's to your theory "Bayer did not compensate any cent of it".

20. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Wow, that a lot of money!!!