Baumstark?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by PumaJohnny, Oct 5, 2003.

1. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a name I'm not familiar with.

I wasn't able to catch yesterday's match. How did he look? Does anyone have any kind of history on him? (where he last played, basic stat stuff)

Thanks

2. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    Clint Baumstark is the starting keeper on Thomas Rongen's U-20 team. He's actually be brought in to DC practices and one game, I think.

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    If Geddes isn't ready, does this mean we will keep Baumstark through the playoffs?

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Something about this bothers me. With Rimando out, we do have two GK's on the roster. But the events of this weekend say that we actually don't have two GK's and that MLS is willing for us to forget Geddes- because we say he's not good enough- and to bring in some other guy, Baumstark.

It just seems to me that MLS should make us play Geddes because he's on our roster before we go with a non-roster player. It's a weird loophole like the Gaven as GK/ fourth sub is a weird loophole.

5. I imagine the league loaner 'system' is designed to ensure that there are always two goalkeepers in any given team before a game, in case the starting keeper gets injured. The choice of who actually starts is left up to the team coach, which seems reasonable enough. Otherwise the league would be dictating who does and doesn't start, which I doubt it would want to do.

In theory they could mandate that the roster keeper started, but it doesn't seem important enough for them to bother. It's not much of an advantage to start a loaner goalkeeper over someone who already has some experience with his teammates. Particularly since your 'loaner' goalkeepers are hardly a worldbeating bunch. For all that the guy is supposedly the U20 starter, he didn't manage to get into any of the MLS teams even as a developmental player, so how good can he really be ? I'm not sure we gained much, if anything from starting Baumstark over Geddes. Now if we somehow managed to sneak Tim Howard over from England as a loaner, that might be a different story..

6. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally, I"m betting that MLS HQ was HAPPY that we started Baumstark. As I understand it, he's not on any team's roster or cap, but the league eats his salary (so that there is an available 3rd keeper). The more use he gets, the more PT he gets, the happier the league honchos would likely be. And, the less dis-satisified Baumstark is likely to be (and that's important too b/c it affects how likely a host of amateur US talent is to take a chance with MLS vs. going for overseas trials or contracts).

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    And its not like he played poorly. Who would you rather have as your 3rd keeper next year, this kid or Geddes?

8. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Interestingly, this may be why he took until the last minute to be called in. It seems likely that DC had to petition for his services and get that approved. Then they had to wait until he could drop whatever he's doing in order to fly in for the game.

Just speculating, but that could be why he only had a day to practice with the team before the game.

I agree with Joe though that this a good thing for Clint and the league. Especially without an A-league contract, teams need to have emergency protection.

Also, Baumstark has been on the bench for at least three different teams that I know of and in all those cases, the normal second keeper played the whole 90, so it's not really a loophole in the sense of Bradley's sub. The keeper sub rule had only been used previously to keep 11 players on the field in the case of injury (as far as I know). However, Cheatin' Bob used it to get an extra field sub. That to me wasn't cool. Had Grafer come in and Howard played the field, I'd have been fine with it.

9. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Baumstark is not the starter for the U20s. He is probably third behind Ford Williams and Steve Cronin or maybe Schuermann. He left UAB to turn pro in hopes of improving his stock for Rongen's team IMO.

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was struck by this keeper's agressive style and very defensive action in the goal... I think Baumstark should definately be added to team's staff... he certainly had a good first professional game and having a physically big keeper may be just the thing for DCU and it is something that Rimaldo lacked.

IntheNet

11. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Did anyone else see his interview at halftime? I missed the first part of it, caught about the last 10 seconds of it. He had a real 'deer-in-the-headlights' look, was speaking about how must faster the game was, how much better the players were, etc. Almost looked scared. Did pretty well, all things considered.

12. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    We got the point but I would not put this guy as someone we definiltey want on the roster. He is worth a look in camp next year.

13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Is there an official explanation for how this roster move worked? Like is he on DC but loaned out to wherever he came from? Or is he being loaned to DC from another club? Is this move only do-able with goalkeepers? I can't find anything on DC's or MLS's website.

Thx,

Jay!

14. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    I think he did OK given the circumstances. He did not make the difference in this game, which is good.

I think it's still too early to think about this guy for next year or even the playoffs. If he plays next week with us and gets to practice with the team at least twice, then we can praise/criticize his play.

Isnt he out with the U20 team though?

15. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't come from anywhere. He's an MLS 'floater'. Kind of a GK Temp. The league pays him, I think he's been on the bench for 2 or 3 teams.

16. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Thumbs down not for Baumstark, but for the pathetic pair of trained chimpanzees that MLS strategically shaves and puts in front of the cameras for MLS Wrap. What a pair of bumbling bozos! I mean the show is a joke (start with two of Saturday's games, *then* do international and league news, *then* do the games leftover from the previous week and only then get around to doing the rest of Saturday's games? What morons!), but they throw some meaningless comments about two players apparently selected at random, or based on who the graphics manager can find photos of, before the match, and they don't even bother to mention that one team is playing without it's first, second, or third-string GK? They have several shots of Baumstark and continue to fail to mention that he's not a DC roster player, then when they finally mention his name, they call him "Sean" Baumstark. I honestly think they could get the Siegfried and Roy tiger from Las Vegas (I mean, he's nor working right now), team him up with the tiger that got pulled out of the apartment in NYC, and the two of them could do a better sports show than Harkes and Wheelock.

Johnny, the only reason you're going to keep working now you're not playing soccer is if you can talk intelligently and entertainingly about other people playing soccer. And you can't. Start training for that real estate agent's license. And Sean, the bright light that's out in front of you on top of the camera is your cue; the one you're looking at is called a spotlight, and it's way too high up. But at least you're trying to find the cue, unlike your buddy there.

I mean, it's nice to be able to see all the goals and everything, but can't MLS manage something better than this? It's pretty sad.

17. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    What a great rant -- well done!

18. GOLEE37

GOLEE37 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    COLORADO
    CLINT

Clint is from Colorado and went to Horizon high school where he won a state championship and was on the number one ranked team in the nation about three years back now. He attended a few of my Keeper sessions before moving to a team that matched his talents at the youth club level. It is my understanding that he trains with the Rapids and has been the 2nd Keeper for a few teams now. Metrostars, Burn, Galaxy and now United.

When not on loan, he can be seen working with the Rapids before games. It is a funny site to watch with Garlick getting ready for the game, Cannon, Vallow, Foss and Clint all working with Dougherty coaching them. "How many Keepers does it take to screw in a light bulb?"

Anyhow, the kid is strong but I feel you have some better options at the top of the A-league. Huddock ot name one.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I said this on another thread but if Geddes isn't ready to play, why is he on the roster? Baumstark is available as a roster exempt player and we could just as easily have him than have Geddes as our No. 3.

Baumstark has a much better pedigree and he is a big GK. I would like to see the club add this guy as a backup next year (especially since either Dougie or Rimando likely won't be here next year).

20. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    what is Geddes background?

21. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    He went to West Virginia Wesylen (sp) which is a Division II school. He trained with United for most of the season before getting signed sometime during the summer.

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that he's going to go into the draft next year and that's why no one has been able to claim him. Just a hunch.

23. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone remember what number Baumstark was wearing on saturday?

Thanks.