Baumstark Called Up?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by k1v1n, Nov 12, 2002.

1. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
  2. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Alternates are with the team

Rongen named three alternates (Craig Capano, Clint Baumstark, and Miguel Saavedra) to the squad in case of injuries. Capano and Saavedra played in the recent U-20 warmup against Charleston, so I assume all the alternates are training with the team.

3. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    From today's article in the Charleston paper:

Is this a mistake or is Williams injured?

4. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Good catch

The newspaper is likely correct.

Baumstark wasn't called up to camp right away with the rest of the team.

"Rongen selected Clint Baumstark, and the Chicago Fire pairing of Miguel Saavedra and Craig Capano as alternates. Capano and Saavedra will train with the U.S. prior to the tournament, while Baumstark will remain on call as he continues to play with the University of Alabama-Birmingham."

Plus, Cronin played the entire 90 against the Charleston U-20 team, which likely wouldn't happen if Williams was completely healthy.

Maybe GersMan can confirm all this speculation.

5. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    Williams played a full 90 with UNC against South Carolina last Friday. I think this was the same day as the Charleston U-20 game? This could explain his not playing in that game.

6. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    I just got an update on Ford Williams from a reliable source. Ford sustained an injury in training late on Sunday that required further diagnosis. A prognosis was not available at the time that the roster had to be turned in. His condition was still a question mark on Monday, and the decision was made to bring in Baumstark. There just wasn't enough time to look at his situation with the care it required, and clear him to play by today.

This has to be a tough blow for the young man. The good news is that he is just fine, and he will be playing again by next week.

7. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I cannot really vouch for Williams' ability but I know that Clint Baumstark is very good. Good enough for int'l level....I don't know. I sure would like to see him play in one of the qualifiers. Good to see someone from my alma mater doing well. Go Blazers!

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I echo these sentiments. He is an awesome keeper. Sure the collegiate level and U-20 internationals are two different things, but I've seen Baumstark play probably a dozen or so games in person and he is the real deal.

9. Sammys

Sammys New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Virginia
    According to the article on www.soccer365.com Williams was in the hospital for three days undergoing cardiac tests. He is fine but fatigued from the testing which is why Baumstark was called up.