Battlestar Galactica Season 3 [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Dante, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the best episodes in the history of the show, I thought. Especially the Amanda Plummer scene, which captured 1) the human society regressing to a more primitive relationship between themselves and their gods, and 2) the cylons - who are essentially infants - encountering their first challenge to their own faith. Fantastic television.

2. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just d/led Season 1.

School work vs. watching the whole thing in one sitting.

Hmm....

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just finished watching yesterday's episode. Now I really can't wait for next week! :cool:

-G

4. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You won't be sorry if you watch the whole thing.

5. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'll tell you what, I watched the pilot last night and I was blown away. I immediately re-evaluated my assesment of the television show. It has to be this, there's no other show with this much depth, this good writing, and execution. I love it and I can't wait to watch the next episodes.

6. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ain't that the truth.

7. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next week should be good. Lots of action as they evacuate New Caprica. So Laura Roselin and Tom Zarek are still alive. Someone will die. Ron Moore has said so. Rumour is Ellen Tigh will not make it. I'm sure there will repurcussions for the collaborators and traitors. Will Baltar go full cylon or leave with the fleet? If he chooses the latter he will be undoubtedly tried for treason.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I wouldn't be shocked to see Moore have some sort of long range idea that Baltar is eventually "rehabilitated" and ends up being on the "human" side.

The fact is, we're watching a soap opera. If you watch a long-running serialized soap long enough, most everybody is good or evil at some point, and virtually every combination of characters becomes romantically involved.

----
    I did miss the first ten minutes of last week's show. I'm guessing we saw the dream by #3 that was referenced throughout the rest of the show.

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've been thinking not rehabilitated, but more that he has something or gains something he can hold over the humans so they won't/can't kill him if he escapes with them.

10. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched some of those old episodes for BSG from the 70's. It was pretty chessey. I watched Living Legend parts 1 & 2. This where they find the Pegasus and attack the Cylon outer capital of Gamorra. It was pretty funny watching John Calicos (the original Baltar) in a cylon helmet leading the attack of the cylons against the Galactica. The new show is way better on so many levels. I have to admit I had huge crushes on Maren Jansen & Anne Lockhart:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite possibly the best TV show of all time. Holy hell was tonight's episode on another level.

12. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
  13. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sweet tiny, helpless, tiny, baby jesus, thankyou for this show.

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The way Michael Hogan (Saul Tigh) said "Not all of them" was beyond heart-wrenching.

The whole thing was brilliant. But his performance stands out even among all of the rest.

And the twist with Kacey? Wow. Fits perfectly with Leoben's character.

Great action sequences.

Thanks for the podcast link.

I should be going to sleep but I'm going to listen to it right away instead.

15. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. If this show is up for any awards the next go around he should be nominated. Absolutely brilliant performances from him. This show has so much going for it. If the show were on NBC I highly doubt they would touch any of the subjects they're addressed. Can't wait to see the justice handed out for the collobrators. I have a feeling Alex Gaeta might take one in the head for being part of the Baltar administration. It would be unfortunate since he helped the resistance the most with inside information. Jammer is dead meat unless Cally stands up for him.

16. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me about it. When a TV program moves me to tears, and that never happens (ever), I have to believe it's beyond good. This is the one show I absolutely refuse to go without.

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The scene where Saul killed his wife was terrific. What could have been the moment where Saul lost his humanity instead was a powerful reaffirmation of it. He was drifting a little bit, with his callousness over the suicide bombings.

18. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I really liked the way Galactica came plowing down toward New Caprica, launched the Vipers, and then jumped away before she hit the ground.

I know we've had the discussion on here before about what makes good science fiction, etc., but I, for one, am glad the show's moving back into space. My preferred science fiction involves space and ships and all that.

19. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested to see how the crew of galactica reintegrates... will Tigh go back to being XO? What about Lee? What about all the extra crewmen? They should never be understaffed again.

20. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Along those lines, the preview for next week looks pretty grim with respect to reprisals.

21. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Last night was just some excellent sci-fi action and battles.

Forget about the great drama and politics and that was still just an awesome fun ride.

When they showed the flashes of scenes from the episode at the beginning and they showed the Galactica in flames going down I couldn't believe they would do that! But Adama's great use of jumping into atmosphere to deploy the vipers and then jumping back out was great strategery.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday's Battlestar Galactica episode, along with the Doctor Who episode "The Girl in the Fireplace" that preceded it (which was perhaps the best, most emotionally-powerful Doctor Who episode in recent memory), comprised the best two consecutive hours of the Sci Fi Channel that I can remember.

Heck, perhaps the best two consecutive hours of television that I can remember.

-G

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was brilliant. I love the ending, where Adama shaves off his moustache, hinting things go back to normal but it was intercut with Kara and Saul and their personal tragedies. Great great television. If I didn't have the season 1 episodes to go to right after these, I'd be insane waiting another week for this.

24. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would go with the season premiere of BG just 2 weeks ago. :p

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That comes in at a very close second. ;)

-G