Battlestar Galactica Season 3 [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Dante, Aug 29, 2006.

1. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It would be a very bad idea. Just tape the Friday show, rent season 1&2, there actually aren't all that many episodes, and watch those first. It's worth it.

2. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Damn, I'm in class at that time. I think I will check out the first two seasons before jumping into this. I'll still watch it on Friday though, even if I'm not confused I'll check out the first two seasons. Thanks again guys.

I'm interested in this show particularly because of the parralels to modern day political affairs.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't want to start watching it Friday and start in on Season 1 and 2, it will ruin many surprises for you.

4. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9pm TONIGHT! 2 hour premiere. I am so looking forward to it.

6. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Hat tip: NicoleAnell, TV Without Pity's BSG in the media forum.

Just think of this as Christmas in October.

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that was a great episode.

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not resting on their laurels, are they?

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all. The scary part is that if you go to Sci Fi's boards people are up in arms calling it Anti-American, etc. People are so friggin clueless.

10. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was something else.

Fatass Apollo really threw me for a loop. I didn't see that one coming. Intense all the way through. Sometimes you think maybe baltar will grow a sack, but then you realize that's just silly. The conflict among the cylons is interesting.

What a great show.

Edit: did anyone else hope that Starbuck would just break that little kids neck?

11. chrisinho

chrisinho Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Back in HelLA
    Someone actually used "moonbat" in their post. Maybe neocons should be targeting the geek vote in 5 weeks.

Back to BSG - that must be one of the best episodes ever and the writing seems to be going from strength to strength.

I wonder how much of this season will take place on New Caprica?

Is Gaius a toaster after all?

How did the President escape?

The drought is OVER!!!

12. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    At the end, Starbuck was just playing her part. When she has an opportunity she will kill the cylon again. I am 50-50 as to what she would do with the child. I think that depends on the child, honestly. Is the child human, cylon, or both? I don't think it is both like they said, because the whole premise of Sharon's kid being extremely special and unique. Thus if the child is human and say the Cylons found her on one of the planets, then I think that Starbuck won't kill her. If she is a young cylon, she is dead.

Other than that, that was an absolutely brilliant episode on so many levels. The cliffhangers were phenomenal. It also makes you rethink a lot about the war on terror, the israeli situation, torture, insurgencies, etc. It wasn't unamerican. What we are doing in the war on terror is unamerican, not the show.

I was really upset that they pulled all that New Caprica shit. But, I liked the first epsiode.

13. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Starbuck; I did. But as someone else said, she's still playing the psycho Cylon. That kid is her ticket out of there.

And I love all of the parallels that they're drawing between this show and what's currently happening.

14. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going with a big "me too" on the "Starbuck is still sandbagging" hypothesis.

I've heard of people gaining weight for a big movie role, but to do it for a TV role strikes me as pretty hard core. However, the disdain the other officers, including his wife, were showing him was equally surprising. You have to admire the risks the show's leadership is willing to take in making a character like Apollo as unattractive as that, both physically and behaviorally. What's good about it is that the change doesn't seem arbitrary or random--the explanation for how and why he lost his edge fits well with what we've seen of him already.

15. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I chose to watch the premier last night. I feared I'd be lost not having seen the previous two seasons but I understoof everything and I like it a lot. It's well written and loaded with allegorical political messages, which attracted me to the show in the first place. I'll be tuning in next week.

By the way, Maybe it's just me watching it for the first time, but replaceing "f**k" with "frack", I found it a bit silly. I'm sure I'll get used to it as the series moves along but did anyone else have this problem?

16. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did. But it's like complaining about a beautiful women with a few extra pounds. The whole package is still pretty f**king good.

17. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never liked it either. I think they'd be better off just eliminating the profanity altogether instead of making something up. I used to read a lot of sci fi and phony sounding futuristic cuss words are a consistent failing of the genre. The only time it works is if the author's managed to create a whole new dialect (Hoban's Riddly Walker, A Clockwork Orange, and to a lesser extent Dick's "Do Androids...) so the cuss words blend in better. It's relatively easy to ignore, though.

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I used to think it was silly too but it's used normally in the show - not exagerated or placed in sentences you wouldn't expect the f-word - so eventually you get used to it. I think if the show were campy and cheesy like the 70s version it would stand out, here it blends in.

Absolutely amazing first episode. Wow.

Wow.

19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fracking love it.

20. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are many of them.

And they have a plan.

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamie Bamber didn't gain any weight for the role, it was all done with a fat suit and make up.

22. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A Child. Watching StarBuck. That is where i get my good looks from.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just finished watching the season's first episode off of my HD-DVR. It was great, and I'm glad that I watched all ten webisodes back-to-back beforehand. :cool:

Regarding "fat" Apollo: according to this article, Jamie Bamber (who plays Apollo) wears a fat suit for the season's first several episodes.

I also remember reading an earlier interview with producer Ronald Moore that it'll take somewhere around 4-5 episodes to completely resolve the New Caprica arc.

Bring on the next episode already! :D

-G

24. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dont watch the new ones because they are shit. StarBuck and that robot Dog. Happy day. Getting older is a bastard imo. I would like to use my Penis without any ********ing comebacks ffs. Woman are Whores.

25. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way! I was totally fooled.