Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by NORML, Feb 23, 2011.

1. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi2tae2PmmU"]Battlefield 3 gameplay premiere[/ame]

Trying to keep a cap on my excitement for this game but the little bits of footage in that video looks pretty sweet, wonder if its in game or cut scenes? Normally don't care all that much about GDC but I want to see some more gameplay footage and know when the multiplayer beta is gonna come out.

2. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Back as a kid, it was my dream to be able to play Battlefield 2 at the highest graphics settings.....NOW DICE DOES IT AGAIN!

GODDAMN I just got this PC! I don't wanna upgrade! :(

3. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks good and from an article in gameinformer it sounds like it has most of the features added that I'd want after playing BFBC2. I hope people actually use the drag your corpse feature since I'm sick of idiot medics reviving me right in front of enemies. Dying half a second after getting revived sucks and the fact that the medic usually dies too doesn't make it better.

4. jasperb

jasperb Member

Dec 30, 2006
    netherlands
    what really bothers me about bc2 is the lack of team balancing on rush and conquest servers, i often have to hop servers for a while to find a somewhat balanced game

hopefully bf3 will be different

5. jasperb

jasperb Member

Dec 30, 2006
    netherlands
    [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=BkZp2c_vzNY"]YouTube - Battlefield 3 - Fault Line Episode 1 Gameplay Trailer [HD][/ame]

6. Rafa9

Rafa9 New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Arizona
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  7. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    indeed.
    the player movement looks like it has been greatly improved

8. jasperb

jasperb Member

Dec 30, 2006
    netherlands
    [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=-2E-_G_MT9w"]YouTube - Battlefield 3 Gameplay (GDC 2011) - Leaked[/ame]

more awesome

9. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed they need to fix that. I get that they want people to be able to play with their friends but watching a bunch of guys at or near top level take on little kids + me gets old real fast. The number of players per team is also a problem although not as bad. Having said that, a few days ago I'm in a pretty unbalanced game with a bunch of run and gun twits on my side that go through tickets at max speed but with a lot of work from me and one of my friends who joined mid round we at least lost the last game by a just a couple dozen tickets. The two of us were the only ones with scores above a thousand. Three or four of the kids had sub 300 scores and two more were negative despite playing at least most of the round. Not sure how they managed that since I saw them running around and you'd think they'd get some points just by accident :rolleyes: The next round my two man squad is killing guys left and right and getting captures one after the other but I find that my side can only hold an area if I'm sitting on it and I'm not seeing anybody on my side except my friend. So I check the scoreboard and see that we had 5-6 guys while they had a full roster. Ouch. That needs fixing.

The only time I can find somewhat even games are on weekends when I join with a few guys I know can play so at least we'll have one decent squad but then half the time the other side is again made of useless COD kids. Of course when you do get two evenly matched teams with plenty on each side using mics and smart tactics you get one of the best game experiences around. If they can make those situations happen even a bit more often then I'll be happy.

10. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Seriously...if you want tactics check the Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2 (soon with 128 players limit in a map) or the mod ACE for Arma 2 (even though PR will be launching one for that platform very soon).

Those are the best tactical battlefield gaming experiences you will ever have. 95% of the players have mics and are generally mature (you can even sight people in their 40's and the very few kids tend to be marginalized). Once you try any of those you will find military FPS like COD to be insipid and completely out of touch.

Check below:

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality

Map: Fallujah West
    Gamemode: Insurgency

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkKYmayzdZ4"]YouTube - PR v0.95 Fallujah - USMC Mechanized Infantry[/ame]

Arma 2 - ACE 2

Map: Combat Patrol
    Gamemode: Co-Op

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG7SNTDCQyQ"]YouTube - Tacticalgamer Arma 2 ACE/ACRE Gameplay 1/5[/ame]

11. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I generally don't like that degree of realism in shooters. The game becomes more of a chore that way.

12. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I'm just giving a suggestion since he seems to be wanting more teamwork based games where you do more than just rushing and shooting - these mods require way more than that to win a round (aka battle). COD, BC and even BF will continue the same fast-paced lonewolf trend.

To each his own, I'm not trying to dictate what people should like. But I can assure you that general gamers have the misconception that it's less exciting when it's more realistic and complex.

13. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Team Fortress 2 is a great way to keep teamwork in play and lone wolfism in check without increasing complexity. :D

14. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    There's nothing different in TF2 that you won't find in BF, COD or BC. There are always team objectives but just because your gameplay is being channeled it doesn't necessarily mean that you're cooperating. Especially when comms are little to none.

Anyway, I digress.

Battlefield 3 looks nice for the vanilla type gamer. I just wonder why they gave up on the 256 player limit to 64...

15. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Oh you can't digres after dem fighting words, partner. :D

16. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody seen a better feed of the PS3 co-op video from Gamescon than this one?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DU-cUel5m0"]PS3 Co-op[/ame]

Cause even though its youtube and from a live presentation the animation and graphics reminds me of early this gen game and has me concerned.

edit to add:yes I am aware that the PC is the way to go but I don't have and won't have a PC that can run the game when it is released. Still though while previous shooters have looked better on PC I don't think the console version for those games looked that inferior than what was shown in that video.

17. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Actually, thanks to Origin Shenanigans I am no longer purchasing Battlefield 3

18. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    What happened?

19. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EA decided they didn't want to sell Battlefield3 on Steam but on their new platform Origin and a few other direct to download services.

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    When you say a few other, you really mean over 100 others or everyone but Steam because Valve changed their terms over the sale of DLC and patch distribution.

I find the whole thing extremely silly, why deny yourself the pleasure of playing what looks like a kick-ass game because you can't get it on Steam. Hell you couldn't get Starcraft 2 on Steam and that game is totally tits!

21. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Because I don't want to install yet another download manager service that restricts the way I play. I already have Steam and the utterly horrid Games for Windows Live which put me off buying games on that platform. I even have the old EA Download manager, which is horrible.

At the very least, GfWL can be integrated into Steam like Dirt 3 and Section 8: Prejudice has shown but I doubt Origin will work that way.

Besides, I don't own Starcraft 2 either. :)

22. PonosBosne

PonosBosne Red Card

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Amazing game it's going to own cod! I cannot wait for BF3 to come out it's going to be epic.

23. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    You don't need to use Origin at all, BF3 launches via the Battlelog which is browser based. Even if it was on Steam you'd still need to launch it this way.

Besides, installing a 60MB program is hardly a massive task.

24. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia

That's even worse! :confused:

25. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club: