Battle for the Bottom: Galaxy vs. Real Fake Lake ALL IN ONE THREAD

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Topper, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Mrs. FlapJack

Mrs. FlapJack Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    yes, we saw the offisdes player on tivo when we got home. i forget who it was.

2. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Does MLS have a dress code?

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    When LA played in DC the local media mentioned something about them, some name label supplied them to the team (yes, because of Beckham) and I guess Yallop or whomever dictated that they must be worn. FWIW, DC United started wearing suits as a team when Pitor Nowak was coaching here, something he surly brought over from Europe.

4. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    From my shoddy memory I think I recall Lalas saying something to the effect that to become a world class club we have to look like a world class club...and thats where the suits came in (same time as Becks). I guess this is how you become a Superclub/Jewel of MLS.

5. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why Williams never gets to start for that team. From the games I've watched of them, he always makes them look better and helps tremendously in their attack. I can only assume he's kind of like Cobi - just not able to go 90 minutes on a regular basis.

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember reading that before Beckham got here, the Galaxy fitted the entire team out with new matching Hugo Boss suits - black with red tie. But I thought it was strictly for traveling to away venues. Guess it was for anytime the Galaxy play.

7. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams had been starting at A-Mid before Morales signed. Neither one is really able to go a full 90 right now. Williams hasn't truly been able to for a couple years now and Morales has a shoulder injury and hasn't played for a bit. From the radio broadcast it sounded like Morales didn't play very well on saturday. However, imo, he was one of the primary contributors for the win against KC last wednesday. I really like Andy but I think he plays better coming off the bench and giving the attack (or lack thereof) a different look with 20 minutes left.

8. Trap

Trap New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Alhambra, CA
    Get rid of Yallop!

9. Cobifan

Cobifan New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    The truth is...they are all just exhausted...both mentally and physically. This week will be the longest time off between games since the beginning on July! Remember the two week breaks at the beginning of the year...that sucked as well...can't get a rhythm to a team without consistant playing...but over playing is 10x worse! They can't even recover from injuries... And then through all the travel in there on the off days...all the press... just exhausting. I know it sounds like an excuse...but with no time to practice it is hard to make improvements. They are playing better...but most of the mistakes just look like tired legs and mental mistakes. You can say that they need better fitness, but it is almost impossible if you are constantly playing games.
    I know others have had the same thoughts...we will really see if that is part of it this weekend after they have had a few days off and some time to train. Gotta believe!!! Go Galaxy!

10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh. Just so sad to see.

Maybe a full week of rest will help.

But then we play short-handed again on Saturday (no Donovan for Nat-team callup and Roberts suspended).

And then we go back to two-a-week for the rest of the season. Although hopefully those two mid-week friendlies will be canceled since Becks won't be playing and that will give us some more time to rest guys up.

Since the playoffs look like a miracle at this point, the guys should be playing for pride and a place on next year's team....

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Sandy
    Re: This is Tough or TIT

brilliant post!!! I have never laughed harder in my life, yet felt so sick at the same time. I'm not a Galaxy fan obviously, but it sickens me more than anything going to a match and having such idiots that know absolutely nothing asking the dumbest questions, cheering at the absolute wrong times, and yet fully dressed in the appropriate gear. I also watched the Fulham vs. Tottenham match and wondered "how can we get that to happen here in an MLS match?" And I also know how you feel about the price of season tickets going up because they are doing the same here, and the sad part is this team has been $h!t since the beginnnig, and attendance has gone down, yet the pricing on season tickets goes up? Who are these marketing geniuses in MLS?

12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its always ego-boosting to parade one's soccer sophistication by downplaying casual fans. Makes you feel so superior to be in the in-the-know hard core club and exclude everybody else.

And if the league depended upon us hard core fans alone, it would have gone belly up years ago and you would be twiddling the dial to watch LaLiga games.

Everybody starts somewhere. So what's the harm in them trying to educate themselves by asking questions? There really are no dumb questions - just a hell of a lot of dumb people refusing to answer them.

And you don't like it that they don't jump and dance and scream? Have you ever heard of a team called Manchester United? Have you ever heard about the "prawn sandwich crowd"? This happens all over the word.

I scream my head off at games. I know it embarasses my wife and some people in my section think its strange. But, slowly, a few are getting the message. I'm no longer alone when I start a "you don't know what you're doing" chant. It takes time, that's all.

And in the mean time, try not to drive away the people who are helping to finance our habit.

13. Mrs. FlapJack

Mrs. FlapJack Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA

here here, if it wasn't for my husband educating me and a few years of watching my daughter play I'd be in a the same boat...and still, i am not all that good at analyzing a game, but I get better as time goes on...experience is the only real way to get it.

doesn't mean i am not a big fan....

14. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind it when they don't know anything. I mind it when they don't even watch.

15. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I may be asking for it here, but so be it.
    I'm having an issue with this type of thinking.

We live in a free country [that also happens to be market driven...] and the ones who "get" to go the games are the ones that pay for tickets.

There is no test of knowledge or credentials that has to be passed for anyone to get tickets. There shouldn't EVER be such a test. For Gods sake, let people come to the games. Everyone has to start somewhere. I became a fan of the game watching the 94 WC... a relative late comer, but also before the Galaxy became a team. But what if I had started watching Galaxy games and become a fan rather than WC games? Would I have been the target of abuse because I was a newbie?

What exactly is ruining your experience at the game? If you want to see the Galaxy play, there they are, right on the field. What do you have to care, who is sitting next to you? or how much they know?
    I don't particularly like baseball, but I used to as a kid. IF I go to a Dodgers game, I sit and watch and enjoy it. I don't care who else is there or why. For the life of me, I don't understand the concern of "Beckham fans". So WHAT!!
    They paid thier money to get in and they can get in just like anyone else.

If, as TJ wrote, these types of things are "scaring me beyond belief", well a trip to the psychologist may help. Sorry you think there ought to be a merit system for who can purchase tickets rather than a market system, but that's not how it works... here or anywhere else that I know of.
    I LOVE the Galaxy.
    I love soccer.
    I play soccer every week.
    I watch soccer and follow soccer as much as I can on TV.
    I also can't afford season tickets. Or even regular game tickets very often. I'd LOVE to be awarded tickets at a price point that matched my finances simply because I am such a fan, but......
    I am glad others are buying the tickets even though I can't.

And then there is this gem:
    "More pretenious twats at the games now than you can shake a stick at."

....... IF you are thinking this, then look in the mirror to find the pretentious twat.... and start shaking that stick at him. The arrogance needed to deride these people because they somehow don't know as much as you is pretentious defined. They have every right to be at the games.
    I get seats a few times per season from some STH friends.... I sit next to people who don't know as much or perhaps care as much. It doesn't affect me one way or another. I am stoked that I get to be at the game and see my Galaxy play in person.

[edited] maybe I'm not alone... three other people posted between when I started writing this and when I finished and posted....

16. Mrs. FlapJack

Mrs. FlapJack Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    fair enough!

17. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Sandy

where in my post does it state that a certain level of knowlegde is required for someone to buy a ticket? all i did was reiterate those points made by TJ which I found to have experienced myself. forgive me rtdavide, but all i was doing was criticizing something that doesn't appeal to me. now, I may be stupid, but it appears as though you are now doing the same thing to me. but of course, "we live in a free country" and the ones that get to "post" on the message board are the ones that sign up for the message board.

how did my post demonstrate my abusal of "newbies"?

read TJ and my post again. that will tell you what's ruining our experiences at the matches.