Battery Preseason matches

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charleston Battery opened up their preseason last Friday with an invite player trial and will take on the College of Charleston tonight at 8pm at Patriot Point. As far as I know it is free.

Coach Anhaueser will likely have kept about 10 or so players from the Player trials so it will be interesting to see who made the cut.

Here is list of all the preseason matches.

Feb 21 at College of Charleston 8pm
    Feb 25 vs Columbus Crew 7:15 PM
    Feb 29 vs D.C. United 7:15 PM
    Mar 3 vs Chicago Fire 7:15 PM

Mar 7 at Coastal Carolina University 5pm
    Mar 10 at Atlanta Silverbacks, 4pm
    Mar 17 vs. Clemson University/College of Charleston, 2pm
    Mar 24 vs. Wilmington Hammerheads, 4 PM
    Mar 25 vs. Coastal Carolina, 2pm

Mar 29 at Carolina Railhawks TBD

Home games in Bold

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-0 against College of Charleston. some good chances by the Battery. first half was 7 signed players and 4 trialist. Second half was 2 players and 9 trialist.

http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/home/600685.html

couple trialist looked really good and hope they get picked up.

Battery has a meet and greet on Thursday night so we should be able to have a better idea then of who will be around for the CCC at least.

Mikey

3. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thurday's game vs. Coastal will be played here now. Don't know why, just know we got moved from Blackbaud to College of Charleston for Thursday night.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, Battery's Facebook and twitter saying the Coastal Carolina match is Thursday at 7pm at the 'baud.

Looking forward to it.

5. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how was the match against Coastal?

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-2 in the end. I only saw the last couple minutes of the first half and then the entire second half.

The Battery looked good creating chances and controlling the pace of the match. The last CC goal seem like the back line thought the guy was offside and he just skipped threw the middle and scored on a one on one.

CC should have been down to 10 early in the second as one of the players went in for a bad challenge but the ref told the coach to sub the offender out instead.

found this little write up
    http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4364750 ATL today I am hoping someone is tweeting from ATL

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Opps should be 11AM for the first match.

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery win with a 1-0 over college of Charleston and 2-0 over Clemson University.

The first match was mostly signed players while the match against Clemson was mostly players on trial.

There are a few players on trial that were released by MLS teams over the last couple weeks.

Matt Kassel - NYRB
    Ryan Richter - Harrisburg - Union - DC United (trial)
    Amadou Sanyang - Seattle Sounders

12. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Charleston Battery defeated Coastal Carolina University by a score of one goal to nil Tuesday night in a pre-season scrimmage. The lone goal was scored by midfielder Charlie Romero who finished neatly from a Jose Cuevas corner-kick in the 41st minute.

13. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery dominated possession in the first half but had a rough time finishing. CCU had a few chances (especially in the second half) but the Battery keeper was definitely on that afternoon. Started to get a little chippy late with a Chants player being sent off with a red card after a two-footed high tackle.

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the update

You coming down for against the Hammers match on Saturday at 4pm?

15. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way I'll be able to get off work. Still planning on July 14 though.

I haven't heard if anyone from ILM is heading down yet, although at least one PCF member from Savannah is going.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine it will be experimental line ups for the most part anyhow. I likely won't make the whole match either. I got to go to Columbia in the AM, a competition for one of my kids to go to in the afternoon and then my oldest is going to prom (with some frineds) that evening so I want to be there for that.

Mikey

17. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilmington won 1-0 on an indirect free kick, that took a deflection off the Battery wall.

18. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Bad...The Charleston Battery dropped a match 2-0 to the Wilmington Hammerheads Saturday afternoon at Blackbaud Stadium in a pre-season scrimmage.

Wilmington Hammerheads took the lead in the 6th minute after Bryce Taylor clipped the ball inside from wide on the right and Andriy Budny slotted home from just inside the six yard box.

The Hammerheads added a second goal midway through the second half after Christian Davidson's free-kick deflected off the Battery wall and into the goal.

The Battery's final pre-season scrimmage is on Thursday in Cary, NC versus the Carolina RailHawks

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery defeat Railhawks 1-0. First half goal from Amadou Sanyang.
    more details to follow.

20. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how that can happen....we're in the lowly USL Pro and they're in the mighty NASL.....:rolleyes:

21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well it is preseason.

And Charlotte beat Atlanta 2-1 last night. Wilmington take on Carolina this weekend I think so that will be interesting. Wilmington looked very sharp when they played here last weekend.

22. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they got back, when I was leaving the pub last night. I didn't get a chance to talk to Augie, but spoke with Colin and John Wilson. They both said about the same thing, that the tream really came together last night and everyone was on the same page.

23. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Charleston Battery defeated the Carolina RailHawks by a score of one goal to nil in the Battery’s final pre-season scrimmage Thursday afternoon at WakeMed Stadium. Midfielder Amadou Sanyang scored the lone goal in the 15th minute turning in a Jose Cuevas corner-kick. The ball popped down in front of the Battery midfielder after a scramble in the box and he slotted neatly past RailHawks goalkeeper Akira Fitzgerald.

The RailHawks almost equalized in the 70th minute after a deep cross from Carolina Midfielder Chris Nurse but Battery defender Kyle Hoffer managed to head the ball wide of the goal and behind for a corner.

“The team performed very well defensively and created many scoring chances in our final preparation before we begin the season next Saturday at Richmond" said Mike Anhaeuser, Battery Head Coach.