Battery fans need recharging ???

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by TheHun, Sep 25, 2006.

1. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    Does anyone have this link, I would love to see...

Also, I am from NY, but I have gone to Hilton Head for vacation for about 8 straight years (no this one unfortunately) - and I routinely go up 17 and through Charleston. The other year I stopped in the city for a bit and it is a lovely place. I went and checked out C of C's facilities at Patriot's Point (they were actually scrimmaging the Battery, but I couldn't stay) and it is an amazing college facility - it is clear soccer runs deep there. As an outsider, it really dissapoints me that Charleston doesn't draw as well, especially with a stadium that seems to have good ammentities. It only holds 5k or so, so there is really no reason it shouldn't be at least 3/5 or 4/5 full each game.

I absolutely love minor league anything, especially soccer. Whenever I go anywhere near a place for a couple of days, I check to see if they have a USL team. $5 for a game and some fun, pick up some souveniers - it's awesome to me. Some people hate the "low quality," but it's really a great deal. I have always considered Charleston to be one of the first division sides that really have their act together and know what they are doing. As of late I have been turning on my tv or USLlive and seeing very sparse crowds, and it baffles me - especially with your newly added southern derby rival up there putting 4-6k in a 7k SAS each game. You might hate to hear it, but they are one-upping you. I would like to see you all thrive. Atlanta's attendance sucks too, but that's a different story.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but the link is dead
    http://herpafan.com/Hammerheads/socceratt.html

It was basically population divided by average attendance.

here is a link to the orginal thread over on the USL forum if that intrest you
    http://www.usldiscussions.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=69;t=000273#000000

Soccer does have some good support here in Charleston. the facility at Patriots Point is a nice 2000 seat stadium with good amenities. Most the youth clubs fields are sponsored by the Charleston Battery and are much nicer than the ones I played on as a kid (many years ago) Also the elite BridgeFA youth teams are making themselves known throughout the US with several national cup titles. There are a couple of the state's top HS soccer teams here in town. Add in adult leagues (including the Battery sponsored Over 35 and over 45 leagues that play at Blackbaud) and the pickup games around town (see www.spoccer.com for more info) there is the base for support.

the newspaper and all the TV news station usually are at the home matches and report regularly on the team.

Not to nick pick but the Battery is usually 3/5 (about 3000 people) to 4/5 (4000 people) full each match. I wish the Battery would sell out every game but the reality is there is so much competetion for the entertainment dollar (and time) here in Charleston.

I expected Carolina to get good attendence--the ownership is the same that owns the Rhinos, it is their first season, and they have a good soccer base as well with WUSA and other matches. Plus the population in the Raliegh-Durham area is nearly 3 times that of the Charleston area. I expect their attendance to drop some in time but they will still have a good attendence because they seem to be a well run organization.

I have a few days off over the next weekend so I will try to compose some sort of table with the attendance figures based on popluation

and if you make it down join us in E10

3. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    Will do, probably won't be this year though...I am missing South Carolina!

if you say there are usually 3-4k and you go to the games, I will take your word for it, and the battery website supports that (except for the Rochester game) - it's just that everytime I see a Charleston game on FSC or USLlive it seems a lot like Crew Stadium on a smaller scale - a lot of yellow benches in the camera. The Miami game is a reported 4k plus, and the sections on the camera side can't have more than 10-15 people each - it seems like it is more of a teckets sold vs. actual number that shows up situation

Not digging, just saying

4. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is usually a bunch of people behind the goals and kids running around like wild animals on the playground and fun zone.

5. finalball

finalball New Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Re: Battery camps

Anyone know anything about the battery youth soccer camps? Are they organized well run? What is the camp staff like? How many kids usually attend? Thanks

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the Camps are very well run. typically the full day camp is a hour or tow in the AM followed by an hour of pool time, lunch at the Three Lions Pub and then an afternoon training session and viewing game films.

the staff is usually Battery palyers or coaches.

and as too kids they usually have enough for mini scrimages but not sure of the exact numbers.

7. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Temoc Suarez and David Jordan will be running the camps this season. They are involved with the local Coerver Soccer franchise. http://www.coerver-soccer-training.com/ Temoc is a former Battery player and played for Dallas in the MLS, plus he's a local product.

They will have some of the Battery's developmental players as instructors and some local coaches too.