Battery fans need recharging ???

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by TheHun, Sep 25, 2006.

1. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    The Post & Courier quoted over 2,000 fans for the Rochester USL semi-final.

2,000 fans at Charleston Battery ????

it was more like 200. The 15 Rochester fans that made the trip from New York were more vocal and more supportive than the collective bore that shuffled into Blackbaud.

Its hard to know where the blame lies, but it was a sad showing for Charleston. Overcoming a one goal deficit is not a tall order. It would have been easier if the Battery had a home field advantage.

I sat next to a typical "BritCommie" ... who had nothing good to say about american/usl soccer. I was wondering why he wasn't sitting at Stamford Bridge (Chelsea) ... ? [most probably because they got tired of him too?]

I've been to plenty of games in England, and they can lack quality as well. What was lacking here was a home team.

2. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was the usual vocal crowd in E10, around 20 or so. Would have loved you joining us (unless you already did!). I agree, it's frustrating so many people want to just be specatators.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad the Battery knocked out the Islanders, we'd show Rochester what a home crowd is about... (sorry had to take the jab at ya) :)

4. Onyewu22

Onyewu22 New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I was fortunate enough to be one the 10 Stampede members from Rochester to make the trip. I had mixed feelings about the atmosphere and crowd at the match on Sunday night.

Blackbaud is an extremely nice small venue that if it were to sell out on a game by game basis it would be a great sight to see. However, the crowd was downright pathetic. We were pretty much able to use 3 sections for our banners and jersey flag and only had a handful of people in either of those sections. I actually felt bad for those who did show up for the game knowing that such a small crowd was in attendence for leg 2 of the USL Semi's.

Anyhow, cheers to The Regiment for hosting us before the match. All was great and I have nothing but good things to say about the city of Charleston. WOW!

5. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our atmosphere is what it is. Like most cities, there are very few "loud" supporters & we do what we can do. Tailgates with free food and beer. And we have a wide assortment of people who stand in E10; men, women, boys and girls, ethnic backgrounds and ages, I think we have a pretty good mix. Just not enough volume. I've had several many people say they like to hear us from a distance but don't want to be in the middle of it. Oh well.......

And Mighty Mouse, could you please post your avatar photo full screen? meow........:D

6. Adi_Dassler

Adi_Dassler New Member

I was one of those fanatic supporters who drove 950 miles down to C-town to support my RHINOS. I had a great time with my other mates and lassies.

I'm 60 years old. I'm too young to bang my drum slowly. It's more fun to act like I'm 20 now that I'm 60 than it was when I was 20 and acted like I was 60.

I met their loyal fans at the tailgate they hosted for us and they were great. I'm disappointed for them that they can't experience the electricity of a full stadium. Charleston is a great city and the Battery a great organization. They are no different than most other cities in that they just don't know what they are missing out on. But the revolution is coming....this ole fert knows it is.

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the biggest problem with the Charleston supporters is that they are shoved into a corner where they can't be seen or heard. I'm sure this is due to marketing types trying to have a "family" atmosphere - but obviously the families stayed home, so that's a silly demographic to court.

They (Regiment/E10) should be given tickets closer to the center of the field (for the same price IF they are a card-carrying member), and youth teams should be sold the sections next to them, alot of the older kids would love the more raucous participation and might grow the group organically. Or just help spread the noise.
    The way to cheer at soccer games is not the same as with other American sports, and the new fans will only learn by being exposed - but with them shunned to that back corner like that, the impression the kids get is that the Regiment is being punished for being loud by getting crappy seats. Or that's how I saw kids looking over at the games I've been to in the wonderfulness that is Blackbaud Stadium.

Someone should hire the Clemson fans to come down for a match, these guys seem to "get it"

8. Mr. Hilter

Mr. Hilter New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    Thats exactly it. There's nothing wrong with courting families, but to do it so heavily is wrong. Try and get others into the stadiums, ones that will not think there is something better to do once playoffs start.

I also find it funny that some (not in this discussion) are using the excuse that theres not enough time to sell tickets for playof games and that many of the ticket base had already made plans that didn;t involve soccer on those days. The tentative playoff dates are well known months before the playoffs begin, it's easy to figure out what dates you might have to leave open if you are a supporter of a playoff team.

9. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EffEwe, thehun.

10. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like going to a Disney park sometimes. Most of you know that this crap with "family" atmosphere doesn't work in Manchester, London, Liverpool, or Glasgow. Honestly and sadly I don't see a USL team representing Charleston in my crystal ball. They need to do some revamping SOON to get more fannies in those seats.

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the Battery need to do? They have provide the fans with everything they need (quality team, great pitch, good facilities, their encouragement for us hardcore fans and a frickin pub for gods sake!)). Hopefullly they will spend some more money on marketing but that will only bring in some more casual fan. Its the fans that need to step it up.

I honestly don't think charleston is going anywhere anytime soon. Sold two players "up the chain" this off season bringing in some money, A new shirt sponsor this season, and their giving us a great little preseason tournament in March.

I would love to see the Battery selling out every match, but the fact that Charleston has one of the smallest markets in the entire USL and the competition for entertainment dollars in chucktown, I think they do pretty good. As for the fans, the masses singing Glory, Glory, Charleston Battery won't happen over night. When E10 started two years ago, it was only a handful of us. it grew to 50 or so for some matches the first season. We took a dip last season with a couple of the main guys either moving or having other committments but the buzz is there and hopefully our numbers willl get back up to 50 or more this season. Hope you'll be one.

12. Brook

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's the new shirt sponsor, Mike?

13. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturn

14. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the red of the Saturn logo will look sharp with our yellow and black stripes (assuming we'll still have that design). The McAlister colors looked awful with our shirts and the logo was so busy, you couldn't make it out unless you got right up close. (of course, Mr. McAlister, thank you for your check)

15. Brook

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it a local Saturn dealer or Saturn themselves? If that makes sense!

16. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing a local dealer, since I doubt the fine folks in Spring Hill Tennessee give 1 flying rat ******** about a soccer club Charleston.

But I could be wrong.....

17. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    :cool: I hope things are going better this season with attendance for the Battery.

Don't mistake my comments as a dig at Charleston's club ... it was more toward the city and those who were absent. (by the way, Brook, is that the best vocabulary from a Chelsea fan ?)

I drove 6 hours to see the Battery play ... and have done it a half a dozen times. So before you get in an uproar, i'm a supporter, not a detractor.

My hats off to the Rochester fans - a true soccer city.

The facilities and offerings of Blackbaud and the Battery should be enough to fall in love with a club !

Just wonder what else Charleston people do on a Friday or Saturday evening ?

18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season has seen attendence up for the first four home matches. E10 has been slowly growing and by the second half against miami I would say there were easily 50 people or so. Unfortunately, we dont always work on the same sheet of paper but we were making some good noise overall.

As for what else their is to do in Charleston on the weekends, there are a ton of things that teh Battery compete with. The Riverdogs baseball organisation are known for there marketing and routinely draw 4000-5000 per game. The two teams have a good relationship and rarely play on the same nights but it does happen and of course not many people can go to a Basebal game with a family on Friday and then to a Soccer match on Sat.

the beach is also a big thing as well. I for one know that if I spend a couple hours on the beach, I typically feel like just chilling and having a beer or grilling out at home.

Add in fishing, festivals, golf, boating, kids soccer, adult soccer, college graduation (this past weekend), Charleston has alot going on for a city of its size and while things dont always directly interfear with game times, it does make some people make a choice between a how they want to spend there money and time.

Also I cant find the link but someone created a list that showed the average attendence percentage based on population base to include MLS teams. Chaleston was number two on that list behind the Wilmington Hammerheads.

Next time your in town come join us in E10 and find out if we are tailgating and stop by that too if you can.

mikey

19. madriverchick

madriverchick New Member

Mar 21, 2007
    boston
    Someone needs to tell Bell to spend more money on marketing, so I can get my job back! Charleston Battery Players and Bombshells Charity Date auction in June at Mad River should rev up the rowdy college crowd to come to a game or two.
    I do marketing and pr for the Battery for free in my spare time, becuase i fricken love them.:D

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gorillia Marketing! Great Idea, I know a few girlys that would like a date with a couple of the boys. And If I weren't a ageing, balding, married guy, Madriverchic, and the rest of the girls, would be worth bidding on!

21. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep...3 strikes....hand me your beer.....you're the first fan to be voted off Bombshell Island.....

22. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    Hey Mickey Mouse - I appreciate the invitation to the E10 !

However, I've been to Charleston and seen its wonderful sites. But I can safely say these things:

1) No one really spends family time on the beach at night. I live on an ocaen beach and STILL go to soccer games - the Ocean ain't going anywhere ! for REAL soccer fans, everything after club and country is SECONDARY !

2) No way in this lifetime will you drag me to a boring baseball game. Once you experience soccer - they ain't no other game ! I like other sports ... I only LOVE soccer.

3) if Charleston baseball draws 4000-5000 per game, then how does that compare with the 50 of you in beautiful Blackbaud ? Not well from where I'm looking.

I'm not driving 6 hours to see your submarines ... just goals !

cheers

23. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree not many family hang on the beach at night. But if you have ever taken a couple kids to the beach for a couple hours, you will know that they are exhustated and either asleep by 7:30 or the crankyest things on earth. Thats what I meant that they aren't in direct competetion; most families arent going to go to the beach and then go to a match.

and you are on to soomething with the club and country comment, many people move to charleston from other places. Ive met many Mexicans, Brits, Germans, and Dutch, even Chicago, Dallas and Ohioians here in Charleston but they moved here and have supported clubs in there old country or city for years. Most have only been going to charleston matches for a short time and still hold there old clubs above their new adoptive one. The Battery have been fairly successful in starting to convence the people "from off" (a common term by native Charlestonians for those that have come from somewhere else) with the facility and player access and trying to put a good product on the field but it takes time to change minds.

I agree with you on this one whole heartily, but I think we are the exception.

3) if Charleston baseball draws 4000-5000 per game, then how does that compare with the 50 of you in beautiful Blackbaud ? Not well from where I'm looking.

24. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    Mikey Mouse ...

I hope you keep fighting for the black and gold !

I very much enjoy my stays in Charleston. I do not think baseball ever works well with soccer.

I told collegues several years ago when Rochester teamed up with their AAA baseball team to open a stadium together. What you got was Rhino players tripping over the pitchers mound while dribbling toward goal !

now that Rochester has its won stadia, they are by far better off.

I think the many part-time soccer fans would feel much different if the Battery folded or there was no soccer for one season. I hope that never happens, but in America it is a reality that soccer teams come .. and go.

This leaves terrible voids and bitter taste (see Miami FC forum)(see Tampa Bay)(see San Jose forum).

I only wish I had a football club within one hour of my house ... I could live and breath soccer ... the sooner the foreigners and transients learn that about Battery club football the better. Otherwise who need them ?

cheers and good luck !

25. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is sad, is the fact, that the Hispanic leagues draw so well, but they won't pay to come to see a professional game.