Baseball Strike: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by SoccerScout, Aug 29, 2002.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    A while backed I asked do you want Baseball to strike. 75% said Yes. Now that the date looms let me ask again.

I say YES....I really hope they do. Not because of soccer, but because Im tired of Billionaires and Millionaires fighting over some extra Millions. Especially when its all about a Childs game that they get to play and get rich for a living.

2. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I want baseball players to go on strike so the owners fix their problems, however painful it might be. I need to stop seeing Bud Selig coming out every day saying they're losing so much money. Okay, Bud, now's your chance. Fix it all right now. Don't give in on some lukewarm deal then. Fix it! Break the union if you think you can, and then shut up for good!

3. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    I hate baseball.

Check that. I hate baseball players.

4. dcsoccer2000

dcsoccer2000 New Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Washington, DC
    you should also include a "Don't Care" check box.

That would be my choice.

5. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great article on ESPN the other day about how it's really the team staff (concession workers, grounds crew, etc.) that is getting screwed over from the strike.

6. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    What about the taxpayers that have spent big $$$$$$$$ to build new baseball specific stadiums that will be sitting empty?

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here here.

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players, in addition to their salary (which averages $2 million/yr or something) get an $80 per diem for food expenses AND still get a pre and post game buffet provided in the locker room.

$80 a day for food?? That's what some folks earn in a day. That's a $10/ hr job. The MLS miminimum equates to $11.53/hr. Not too much less than Tayor Twellman earns.

What the hell are those guys eating - buckets of fois gras, truffles and fish eggs??

Fck em. I hope they strike.

9. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Northside, the players do get over $80 a day for meal money(I think it's in the 90's actually), but they usually give all that to the clubhouse boys when they are on the road. The clubbies will lose a lot of cash if the strike goes down.

10. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. That's nice of them. Nice gesture.

Even Barry Bonds will do that when he is watching his personal big screen TV which is turned so no one else can see it? Even Barry?

I still hope they strike. But, I do feel bad for all the stadium personnel and such. Obviously the players don't care too much about them.

11. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    Re: Re: Baseball Strike: Yes or No?

Agreed. This is certainly my biggest concern. But don't expect the current adminstration step in and prevent billonaire owners, who have a federally guaranteed monopoly and who already extorted an average of $300M from 15 different cities in the past 15 years on the threat of moving a franchise from doing anything to stop the current situation. Hell, if Bush weren't President, as a former owner fo some prominence he'd be sitting on the owner's side of the table right now.

Hey, since everyone's complaining about the players, I thought I'd complain about the owners for a while.

I wish more stadiums could be like Pac Bell or Columbus Crew, or that more owners could be like the people of Green Bay. Either make it a private enterprise funded with private money or a public enterprise owned by the people, profitable for the people. Baseball is, in my opinion, an example of the federal government forcing local governments to funnel billions of dollars to a few dozen billonaires (who then hire a few hunred millionaires).

So I say don't strike. Neither the players nor the owners have the right in this circumstance. Any owner who doesn't agree to the player's current proposal should be forced to sell his / her team back to the city for which it is named at 1/20 of its appraised value. Any player who strikes should be fired, have their contract terminated and offered a guaranteed union job at $30,000 a year in public service.

And don't think for a minute that the strike will help MLS. ESPN will simply fill the extra 150 hours of programming with ESPN shows, not those from leagues with which they already have contracts. Why would ESPN shell out more money to leagues / conferences with which it already has present agreements? 150 hours of programming to fill just means 300 more Sportscenters. As far as attendance goes, a strike would just mean sell-outs in every NFL stadium.

12. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    seems like 75% again.

13. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    Must avoid posting something that will result in being carded... must avoid posting something that will result in being carded... must avoid posting something that will result in being carded...

14. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Alex Rodrigues makes $114,000 A DAY. A DAY!!!!!!!! How long does it take you to make $114,000?

And hes going on strike because of MONEY (dont believe otherwise). Screw him, screw baseball. I will never return to that sport.

15. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm prety much done with Major League Baseball whether they strike or not. No thanks anymore.

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was done after the '94 strike, and not even tempted to go back no matter what spin they tried to do... and that includes juicing the ball for the benefit of the home run chases of McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, etc... it's just my opinion, but those "record chases" were about as genuine as professional wrestling.

Someone please remind me why I'm glad about what I'm not missing from 8,000 miles away? :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    William

17. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    MUST

AVOID

POSTING

SOMETHING

THAT

WILL

GET

ME

CARDED

18. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    I spent the last four years of my life as a teacher and I didn't make that much money in that time span (or even really that close). I spent the last four years of my life working to organize the first grad teacher's union in PA, including a strike this past April.

The player's give unions a bad name, and have no resemblence to any other union in the country. They make me want to vomit.

Every owner is worth more than 10 times that of A-Rod.

Still Soccerscout, you... you...

AARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!

19. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    Sure its not because of soccer.

Sure its because you are tired of millionaires and billionaires fighting over money. That's a real good reason to want a strike.

In other words, you are saying that you want a strike, which would be an escalation of the fighting between millionaires and billionaires, because you are sick of the same millionaires and billionaires fighting.

Sure. That makes sense.

Sure.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Well, don't just single out A-Rod. It takes two to tango. Someone had to offer A-Rod that kind of money. If someone offered me a $250MM 10 year contract, I would sign it. Don't blame A-Rod without blaming the owner, too.

21. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    While I don't want to turn this into a thread on the economics of baseball (where's bigbaseball.com?), what I don't understand is this. How can the NBA and NFL, arguably more popular sports that have revenues exceeding baseball's, agree on a salary cap that still sees average player salaries increase, yet baseball is so opposed to it? I know there is a lot of history behind it and some of it involves their anti-trust exemption but it seems that if the NBA can do it, and they seem to have a lot of labor-management distrust, then baseball should be able to do it.

I've never liked baseball, never have never will, but I'm very curious about the economics of most sports hence my question. If baseball strikes I probabl won't even notice.

22. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less than 5 hours to go for the strike.
    I think some owners were stupid enough to give out tons of money to players (e.g. Rangers and Mets - and guess were they are in the standings? :D ). And yet the players' aren't satisfied with it. Like James Brown said: Paying the cost to be the boss.

23. El Toro

El Toro New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Fountain & Fairfax
    My reasons for not wanting a strike are pretty mundane. I am going to visit my sister in Chicago this weekend and we were going to the Cubs game on Labor Day. Having never been to Wrigley Field I am (was?) greatly anticipating the experience.

I am disapointed in the selfish bastards that are causing this. I don't care if I don't understand all the "intricasies" of the situation. Bottom line is greed and stupidity are fueling this strike.

24. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Re: Re: Baseball Strike: Yes or No?

you're getting to know soccerscout, I see.

25. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Re: Re: Re: Baseball Strike: Yes or No?

Comedy.

And true.