Barrett feature in the Merc ...

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Ringo, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey and it's positive. nothing to gripe about.
    If somebody further south gets a copy of the Merc, can you let me know if they ran a photo with it?

Question: Since a lot of people sent emails ripping the Merc for their lack of coverage will the same people send emails thanking the Merc for good coverage? Just curious.

2. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    :D

3. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is this online? I couldn't find it.

4. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Just a thumbnail head shot from back in the Clash days.

5. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    Unfortunate because Barrett, whose team can clinch a playoff berth Saturday night, is one of Major League Soccer's best defenders

Go Quakes!

6. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see Wade getting some recognition for the great season he is having. Our iron man, and the most consistent player in the back.

7. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Article on Barrett

Amazing that even in this article, it downplays Barrett's achievements. In his rookie year, he played both back and midfield, but started 22 games and played in 26. Not bad for a first year player.

But in his second year, he played the defensive midfielder role and started and played 90 minutes in 31 of 32 games. Tied for third in scoring with 10 points, even though he was called upon mostly for defense.

The article makes it sound like he just kind of bounced around, got injured, then got a chance at left back. The fact is that in his first two years he was an outstanding player on a team that needed some real help.

8. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Red Raider:

Hey, at least it's a positive article, in one way or another. This is a definite step up for the Merc. I hope that they're sports editors are beginning to understand exactly how large of a soccer audience they have. But, I will pose Ringo's question again:

It would show some class on the part of those who wrote in complaining, to thank them for the story.

9. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    already done....I have had multiple correspondences with Dylan Hernandez and most of them have been negative, so I sent a thank you note today.

also, the photo is from the media guide...seems like they like to run the Wade/Chia Pet photo year in, year out....

10. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I almost didn't recognize him with the early "Chia-pet" look...

Still angling for that as a promo giveaway...

11. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Hell, yeah, a Chia Wade promotion, either as a stadium giveaway or a Club Quakes promo! I'm down wit dat. Are you listening, Turcs and/or Johnny?

:p

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Remember how Quinnie used to yell, "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaade." (That is indelibly printed in my brain.) It was like whenever there was trouble, Wade was the one to plug the hole.

13. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nice that it's a positive article. Albeit boring as all get out.