Barrett: AGF vs. AB, 9/17 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ThreeApples, Sep 17, 2003.

1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wade Barrett again did not play in a 2-0 victory for AGF.

2. Finch_Lover

Finch_Lover New Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Seattle
    Does he get any playing time over there??? I've never seen him play, is he any good?

3. Quaker

Quaker Member

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he really impressed when he first arrived. Then the team hit a slump, and he saw more bench time. After some injuries/suspensions, the coach inserted Wade as a right back. (He's been a left back in seasons past.) Lately, Barrett's been riding pine again.

Bit of a shame. I really like Wade. In MLS he was contending for a spot on the Nats. Now he's contending for a spot at Aarhus.

4. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    again

This story seems to keep repeating itself as the best yanks go to Europe to test themselves but usually find a spot on the bench. Very sad.

5. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its very tough for a guy to go abroad in his mid 20s and establish himself in Europe. I think there is an adjustment period to the way the game is played there, and they dont have the same time to sit on the bench and adjust. I think its made harder because they are used to starting in MLS. I think that can create a confidence issue, especially in a foreign country.

But another thing to consider is Americans change teams and struggle here in the US. Its just they are usually beat out by other americans so we dont notice as much. Paul Broome comes to mind, a lot of Dallas fans were very high on him last year, but he lost his job and he was shipped off to LA where he hasnt gotten much PT.

Anyways, its a real shame that things arent working out for Wade at AGF. Hopefully things improve and he can slot into things.

6. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wade is one of the highest paid soccer player over there. I believe he is top 5. His salary is over $200k / year. He must have shown the club good things during his trial to earn that contract. It's surprising he sits on the bench now.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    remember that all over the world, the foreign guy has to be BETTER than the domestic players to play. Look at MLS- only a few foreign guys have hung around.The Revs go through foreign guys like I use dental floss. In every league, the foreign guy had better be clearly better than most other players or they get dropped.I think many posters here mistake this for anti-american attitudes- it is just that the foreign guys must produce and produce quickly.