Barra Brava-Two new write-ups and photos

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Begbie, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    New photos for Bolivia/Honduran game and DC/Crew game are now up on barra-brava.com

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a damn scary picture on the front page. Though it does get me fired up to drink beer, watch soccer, and yell at referees. Red&Black usually looks so much more calm :)

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I wasted a few minutes of my life reading that article. Agreed with a couple of points, then get to the part about Wynalda, Knave, and Etcheverry.

Cripes. Just wondering--does ANYBODY who is critical of Etch have to kiss Barra Brava's collective ass, or just the above-mentioned two?

And if the answer is "Yes, anybody," is it all right with you if I pass, and just go on supporting DC United without your approval--and while praying that Etcheverry hangs it up, soon?

4. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    My guess is it's not completely alright, if you want to be part of Barra Brava. But I'm not part of Barra Brava in any way.

On the pro-Etcheverry side, you have people that think the greatest most accomplished player in DC history is being forced out of town and humiliated this year while he's still good, and there are even people who know Etcheverry personally who read this board which makes the anti-Etch comments sting.

On the anti-Etcheverry side, you have people who think he's been dragging the team down for a while, can't stand it, and wish like anything he'd just retire already in a respectful way. Slows down the attack, has been for years-that's why we keep losing-he's been the constant in it.

That's the way I see it. 2 polarized sides, passionate about what they believe. It's a shame the 2 sides can't see eye-to-eye, but so be it. Etcheverry brings out a lot of passion and debate in people.

I'm just too focused on the PLAYOFFS right now to really care about the Etcheverry debate anymore...but thought this post might cool the fervor going around right now about it. Let's save it for the offseason, I say

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, BudWiser, for the context.
    Things are really polarized on the Etch issue, and i suppose I'm not helping things by bringing it up. So, after this post, I'll drop it.

But I do know what I've seen, and I know what my friends who've been going to games have been saying. I stand by my assesment of the player I have watched this year.

OK, that's it--I vow not to drag the issue through this board anymore after this post if it really gets people riled up--especially those who are friends with the man.

6. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    looks like there was more than a soccer match going on...

[​IMG]

7. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    the barra supports the team and the club. that doesn't mean individuals don't have their own opinon about players, coaches, etc. there is certain a large number of folks in the barra who are extremely loyal to marco, some who are close to him personally. one thing i think we all share is a belief that we try to just support the club once we get in 135--no matter who is on the field, the tactical and sub decisions, etc.

there is actually more than a match going on--we have a damn fun tailgate with a great group of people who love DCU and football. anyone on this board, regardless of their position on marco is more than welcome to come by and have a beer and enjoy the company of group of folks who are there to do everything we can to make a home atomsphere for the club.

8. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    That's what it's all about. Not pissing and moaning about Marco's game. Many in the Barra think Marco deserves more respect than he's being given in some circles (end of side taking). Only two people were called out. Not a big issue compared to the most important issue...the playoffs. The Barra wants this team to rise to it's former glory that's it.

Photoshop+photo gallery= always risky
    Sometimes it's funny as hell too. ;)

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    :rolleyes:

Ridiculous.

By the way, for me and Wynalda to kiss your asses you'd have to dismount from Etch's dick first.

10. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    Exhibit A

[​IMG]

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    is that mini begbie?

12. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    exhibit a indeed

13. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava

Nope, mine's much cuter.

14. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Damn Knave, chill. Comments like that belong on the Scum's boards, not ours. I personally feel the article captured our rollercoaster year spot on. The team is driving us nuts. If I had to take a side on the whole Etch debate, I would have to say I fully support Marco.

15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right, who posted the picture of an underage Cap'n Morgan? I hope that's not where the "Special Reserve" comes from....... that photshopped pic still has me laughing , who's head is that? so to speak.

16. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    Haha...the mini Capt. Morgan angle should also be explored. Is this Chico's love child from his Miami Vice days in south Florida?

[​IMG]

17. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Nice PS work. I'm laughing my ass off. Begbie, I'm glad that didn't come out at Bolivia-Honduras.

18. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    man the thought of a whole squad of bastard chico children is scary.

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! I actually did have the idea that newcomers would be welcome. I even believe I got an invite when I first moved here (I should add that Sachin kindly invited me to check out La Norte as well about a year and half ago, which I never took advantage of, at least not yet).

I appreciatie the feedback and the info. I always say I'm going to tailgate, and then I either go at the last minute, or with my family, or with friends. One of these days I will treat myself to your company. When I do so, I assume there is a cover charge for non-members--who would I contact? Chico?

Again, thanks for the hospitality (and if Sachin reads this, thanks to you as well).

20. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    No cover charge amigo. If you hang around for a few games drinking without joining then we'll toss you in the Anacostia ;). Bringing fireworks, booze, food or chics also helps cement your standing as well. Or you can just pay Oscar and remain normal.
    You get a jersey, flag and added CSC attention.

21. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    since when do you actually get the flag for joining???

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were out of flags when I joined so I got the jersey, I thought it was an either/or thing, I just keep forgetting to buy a flag. I do want one ;-)
    As far as tailgates go, there are two main ones - The Barra and the Screaming Eagles. The Eagles is a mellower, more organized, pay kind of thing ($6 for members/$8 for guests I think, all you can eat), a bit bigger, more families and less of the hardcore liquor drinkers (not totally, just generalizing). Big grills going with burger and dogs and snacks.
    The Barra 'gates are mainly just drinking beer and hanging out, though there are usually a small grill or two there, and folks bring things to share. They both have their good and bad points, they are both tons of fun, they both have (mostly) great people. They are both in lot 8, about 100 yards apart. The Barra is at the corner of the lot and the exit road to 395, the Eagle's 'gate is nearer the tunnel to the stadium at the break between Lot 8 and Lot 8A by the soccer celebration. You used to be able to get details (like how to pay, no cash can change hands at the tailgate) at screaming-eagles.com, but I can't promise the site works....
    Doug wold simplify it to be the Gringo tailgate and the Latino tailgate - but there are all kinds of people at each one ;-) I'm as gringo as one can get without glowing in the dark and I usually do both.

23. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    you have always gotten one for joining. its just when you joined bob you were stumbling drunk and left in the parking lot ;)

actually, we are temporarily out of flags i needed some for some road games and had to resort to stealing dave and vicky's flag.

24. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Hang on to it man. You travel way more than us. The flag needs to get more away T.V. time. :)

25. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, but just be careful displaying your "colors" :D