barra brava makes sports reporters today

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by scruggs45, Nov 30, 2004.

1. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I can think of a lot of bad things going on in the world, but I dont see how just letting racism casually go helps anybody. Other bad things going on in the world are no excuse for not changing the things we can change.

2. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I think his point was that he didn't see this as racism. Neither do I, just my opinion. If everyone is going to get up in arms everytime the name Barra Brava is mentioned, good or bad, then lets change the name to something that doesn't sound so ethnic.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We aren't changing the name for ANYTHING let alone this a$$hole (Czaban). I'll post this and then drop the whole thing. When you grow up hearing sp!c and wtbck and landscaping jokes your whole life you tend to get a little defensive. Czaban didn't say the Screaming Eagles, DC United fans or even soccer fans for that matter. He said the Barra Brava. Couple that with picking up trash and I got his meaning. I didn't ask anybody on this forum to write or bitch or anything. I wrote Czaban and told him exactly how I felt. I wrote that letter on behalf of the hispanic members of the Barra and myself. The Barra has been a big part of my life for the last nine years and I'll be damned if I'm going to sit back and let some racist assclown denigrate it. That's my stance. If Czaban or anybody else has a problem with it, tough.

I'm done....

Chico

4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Amazing how Steve was "sick" today. I got in my car at 6pm and by the tone of Andy Pollin's voice when he said Czaban had the day off, and when he said that Craig She-man (sp?) was covering for the Czabe at night led me to believe it was a forced benching.

Thx,

Jay!

5. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Hey Chico, I'm not going to say I understand where you're coming from because I honestly can't. Like I said, I don't think he meant it that way. By all means, if he did then he is in fact a racist prick that neeeds to be fired, but I think Barra Brava was just the first thing that came to mind when he was thinking about DC United fans. I was being sarcastic about changing the name, maybe I should have tossed one of those goofy faces in there. If it'll make you feel better, I'll make myself a Czaban mask and you can kick the crap out of me next time you see me. :D

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The biggest day and week - for traffic - to the YCJ Photo site was when Czaban's website www.czabe.com linked to one of Wade Jackson's sets of images of Veronica Paysse.

The thing is that most of the radio jocks try to be flippant and "cool". I'm not sure any of them hate soccer. If soccer were deemed cool tomorrow, every last one of them would have an opinion on the Kreis to RSL trade. I'm sure most of the local sports guys know a lot - by osmosis if nothing else - about DC United. The lack of coverage is mainly because most of their audience doesn't want it.

If the "Barra Brava" comment was used in a racial context, then he should be held accountable.

7. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    How he meant it does not matter. It's how it was taken. Me, Scruggsy, you, and alot of the other Barra members who are not Hispanic probably weren't offended as Chico and others are. Because he is a professional broadcaster, he should know better than to make trash-picking or lawn-mowing comments on the air, especially in reference to a predominantly Hispanic supporters group. (Hispanic, Latin? Now I'm painting myself into the PC corner). At any rate, I know enough that when I joke with my friend who owns a landscaping buisness (who is white) and tell him to "mow my lawn" that I shouldn't say it in front of his wife who is Dominican. Czaban had to learn the hard way today.

Thx,

Jay!

8. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're wrong about these guys.

A guy like Kornheiser doesn't really like soccer and makes fun of it all the time, but it's part of his schtick and he will have Bruce Arena on his radio program because Bruce is a fellow "Long Island boy."

Czaban and Pollin, on the other hand, are genuine off-the-scale soccer haters. They make Jim Rome and Frank DeFord seem tame in comparison. Whatever the motivation for Czaban's comment, it was intended to be an insult.

9. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Just because some a$$hat is on radio, doesnt mean he is intelligent, un-predjudiced, or even a decent human being.
    File a complaint with the FCC.. PLEASE
    Lets get rid of the soccer haters..and more importantly the insulent, disrespectful crackers
    Funny how when someone can hide behind a microphone and a transmitter they get brave...

10. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I just looked at it in same way as when FSW guys said Barra Brava when giving props to DC supporters. Or when that article in Post said it.

11. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    I didnt hear the broadcast, I live in Fredericksburg.

As a member of the Barra Brava, I took exception based on what yall are telling me.
    Who the hell is he to tell ANY of the supporters to clean up the freaking stadium?
    We are the VOICE of United, not just a bunch of butts in seats.
    Sounds like this guy is just another anti-futbol cromagnin idjit.
    He needs to pay the freight, to his bosses, and the FCC.
    The precedent is definitely there from past episodes with "shock jocks"
    in the DC area.
    Mark