barra brava makes sports reporters today

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by scruggs45, Nov 30, 2004.

1. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    wow i never thought about the statement czeban made to be a racist one...sorry to bring up such a nasty topic to the board...i feel bad for the people it may have offended

GM and i missed you at kilroys last night chico...

ps...im a white guy that has no problem picking up trash as long as baseball is included in the trash i pick up at rfk and throw down the well

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sigh. Good god, man, there is just no room on BigSoccer for this kind of reasonable behavior and willingness to reserve judgement. Just where do you get off with that kind of crap?

3. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Now why would we want to ruin our reputations as Internet Nuts by doing something so rational...Barb truely has a point here :rolleyes:

4. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i'm clearly not as mature or reasonable as ed. i went ahead and fired off a nasty letter (which I cc: to the management)--though "shooting first and asking questions later" might make me a better american :D

5. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It must be a dig at Croatian immigrant segment of Barra!!! :D

I'll take any kind of mention over indifference. :)

6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Oscar and Rob can write a formal letter in the name of the organization? And maybe a copy can get passed to Gildea (he seems to do the more human-interest-ish stuff, with Goff concentrating on the matches)? It would be nice if the Post picked up the story.

7. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    If you e-mail Czaban, he's probably going to chuck it.

My brother in law works for a station here in town and he suggested sending complaints to the Sports Talk 980 GM. His name is Tod Castleberry.

todcastleberry@clearchannel.com

Also a place to vent is the DCRTV mailbag at www.dcrtv.com
    Go to the mailbag link at the top of the page. A lot of radio/tv personalities & execs read what is posted there.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks Bill.....

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A discussion in the offices of 980AM later today:

Sports 980 GM: So, you guys mentioned the Barra Brava cleaning up RFK yesterday?
    Sports Reporters: Yeah, so? Were they happy we gave them props?
    GM: No, pissed off because they somehow got the imression that since many of their members are hispanic, you thought hispanics would pick up bottles cheaper than good honest hard-working union members who they somehow think of as white
    SR: Ingrates!
    GM: Please never mention another soccer group or team on the station again
    SR: no problem, boss.

$18/hr sounds fair for cleaning up RFK, it's a hazardous job - you have to worry about getting tetenous if you touch old rusty metal, and concrete might fall on your head.

Even if it was the most racist thing in the world, if you didn't hear it, your complaint is unbased (or is that baseless?). I was more insulted by the union member comment, but I'm just a fat white guy (not even in a union). Plus, to be on-air talent, don't you have to be in a union?

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yeah, they should've said Screaming Eagles instead.

11. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    my note was cc: to castleberry

i don't think one has to have first-hand knowledge lonnie to complain about something--if you trust the source, and i trust bob--you have enough info to go on. if it turns out we are wrong, then so be it, but i don't think these comments deserve the benefit of the doubt

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barra Brava is easier to say ;)
    If they meant it as a class/race thing, then yeah, someone should step on their necks - but I didn't hear it, so I don't know.

I agree, but I didn't read anything in Bob's summary that made me feel that, and even Bob said he never thought that when he actually heard it.
    I don't mind complaining about stuff :) Just overly-PC stuff bugs me sometimes when little parts of quotes get taken out of context, or supplied with a new context. Not saying this is one, just cautioning against it becoming one.

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Huh? :confused:

We have white guys in the Barra Brava that can't say Barra Brava. :D

14. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    don't ******** with la baracuda!!!

15. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I generated at least one response from the letter I wrote. Sent it to Tod Castleberry, The Post, Comcast Sports Net and DC United.

I called for an on air apology, a written apology to Barra Brava and the team, and Czaban's firing :rolleyes: I'm betting he comes on today and bashes us "pitcheads" for a while. Maybe we can keep them talking about DC United throughout the whole off season.

Thx,

Jay!

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks for taking the time Jay. I'll be on the road between 5:00 and 7:00 this evening so let me know what might transpire on his show.

17. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Seriously, take it easy a bit. There's no use getting upset over a SportsTalk 980 joke like it's World War 3-there's a h*ll of a lot worse going on in the world.

Just my opinion, it may not want to be heard, but hey I thought it needed to be said.

18. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
  19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Maybe if you grew up hearing it your whole life you'd have a different opinion.

20. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    You probably think Kornhole deserves to keep his job too...

21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I thought it was Bare-A-Bra Va!

:D

22. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Maybe so.

23. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I do know he has an opinion on every single sports team in the area. If we happened to get a DC underwater spitting team he'd have an expert opinion on it too.

He's more of an entertainer and a joker than a guy who is truly an expert. He used to write columns in the early 80s like he didn't have a serious bone in him. Nonsensical stuff-stuff that was in his head only.

There's no point asking him to get fired, or thinking about whether he deserves his job, cause my guess is he ain't gonna be leaving his job anytime soon.

24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still feel like they probably won't care if a small number of Barra Brava members contact them, but would care a great deal if they got press about it.

25. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    I practice editorial comment with my channel selector...I dont watch him