Barometer Defensive Midfield Choose 4

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by BorisG, Jul 19, 2017.

?

Defensive Midfield - Choose 4

Poll closed Jun 19, 2018.
  1. Khedira

76.5%
  2. Kroos

100.0%
  3. Gundogan

58.8%
  4. Goretzka

58.8%
  5. Rudy

29.4%
  6. Bender

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Weigl

41.2%
  8. CAN

29.4%
  9. Arnold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hope I got the most important ones

2. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Umm...Dahoud?

3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Probably ahead of Bender but has to prove himself over a whole season before he can be mentioned imo. He had a very mediocre to bad U21 tourney, let's see what he can do in Dortmund first.

4. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How quickly his 2015-2016 campaign is forgotten...

Why aren't these criticisms being leveled against Can, Arnold, LeGo, and Bender? All of them have even less NT-caliber play on their resumes than does Dahoud.

5. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because back then he didn't put on any attitude but this seemed to have changed over last season. That doesn't change his talent but one thing is for sure: He has to break into the Dortmund team to have a chance making the National Team and I'm not sure he has what it takes spirit-wise to achieve that.

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm sure he'll easily beat out Castro and Rode.

7. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's hands down one of their two best midfielders...even if Raphael doesn't play LB/LWB. And his "attitude" has been blown entirely out of proportion by certain BMG circles; just like they did with Max Kruse after he left. Mo will need to improve his conditioning with BVB, but he walks into their starting lineup.

8. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    With Weigl out injured until Sept/Oct, Dahoud should get a chance to assert himself right away. Talent wise, he's ahead of Sahin, Rode, and Castro already. Hopefully he's able to continue working on his consistency and further elevating his game.

Both him and Maxi Philipp joined team training yesterday after the extended break from winning the U21 Euros.

9. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    http://www.empireofthekop.com/2017/...uture-amid-rumours-hes-agreed-juventus-terms/

Telling update on Emre Can’s future amid rumours he’s agreed Juventus terms

Jurgen Klopp believes things are heading in the right direction with regards to talks between Liverpool and Emre Can over a new contract.

The German is yet to sign an extension and has now entered the final year of his current deal, thereby fuelling slight uncertainty surrounding his future.

Recent reports coming out of Italy have also suggested Can has agreed terms with Juventus, who have been linked to a move for the midfielder since the end of last season.

Klopp has been at hand to offer some words of reassurance, hinting at positive ongoing negotiations and highlighting Can’s value to the team.

“You can imagine we’re involved in talks and we all feel good and confident in this moment,” Klopp told the Liverpool Echo’s James Pearce.

“That means they’re not the worst talks but until anything is done or signed there’s nothing to say. Emre is a very important player for us.”

“We don’t want to sell or lose player who are in our first line up or close to it. Emre is certainly one of them. We want to keep him and we’re having good talks.”

Liverpool have seemingly adopted a more relaxed approach towards Can’s situation following his impressive finish to the season, in which he played key role in the club securing a top four spot.

The midfielder has been subject to contract negotiations since the beginning of the year, with an apparent dispute over wages and his wish for reassurance over his position at the club emerging as main obstacles.

Can only returned to Melwood on Saturday after being granted an extended summer break due to his involvement in the Confederations Cup and is yet to feature this pre-season.

He is, however, likely to be a prominent figure when the team travels to Germany to compete in the Audi Cup as part of their extensive preparations for the new Premier League campaign and the upcoming Champions League playoff clash.

10. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Rudy making his case this season for a solid spot on the NT.

11. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am very sure Goretzka n Sebastian Rudy will be called up

rather unsure about Emre Can now. Especially when Khedira n Gundogan are healthy

12. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    I've usually been pretty happy with Can on the national team but he did not do great when he came on today.

Also, If you told me last year that I would have Rudy on my 23 man roster I would think your insane.

13. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rudy is always Loew's favourite , but he did well last season with Hoffenheim n this season so far with Bayern

Can has been poor with liverpool tho, looks like there is some contract issue and he wanna join Juventus next season.

14. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    I use to be upset when I saw Rudy`s name for the national team but I really like what hes bringing lately.

The thing with a player like Can is when hes on point he can dominate games but when hes playing poorly hes a complete donkey. Khedira is similar but I have more faith in him.

15. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Must agree with you

16. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I see Khedira is still favored over Rudy on this forum. Tough call.

17. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  18. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As he should. Since Kimmich is in the backline for us in a back 4 as well as a back 3, Rudy is amongst our top 3 options for the 6 after Kroos & Weigl.

Pairing one of them with a Gundogan / Dahoud / Kramer / Demirbay / Amiri, or two, would leave our midfield in great shape.

19. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I dont like the idea of Weigl n Kroos pairing, similar attributes, not enough coverage n toughness.

Demiraby n Amiri are more attacking midfeilders or even supporting strikers than central midfeilders. They offer zero (or minimal) defense

Ideally u want someone who can tackle the ball,, who has enough work-rate n coverage next to a deep lying playmaker like Kroos

20. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Member

May 21, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    If Low stay without Gundogan it would be disaster. Zero creativity beetween Kroos and attack.

21. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Weigl / Kroos / Rudy are all options for the same deeper spot in the midfield, not to play together.

Demirbay has thrived in a midfield partnership with Rudy, he can absolutely play that same exact role for our NT. And Amiri is still young and developing, give him another season and we'll see where he is. Both are very good in pressing.

22. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    Derimbay will not be at the world cup unless we get tons on injuries

23. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's our 4th best option for the 8 behind Gundogan, Dahoud & Kramer given how much of the ball our NT sees. With Ilkay's never-ending injuries, I wouldn't say it's exactly a stretch for Demirbay to end up deserving to go.

But Jogi rates sloppier and less possession-savvy options for the position like LeGo, Can & Khedira.

24. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    921455400414777344 is not a valid tweet id

dips82 repped this.
  25. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Looks like Pep is gradually easing Gundogan back into their match play. So far he's been subbing on from the bench, but does look quite positive. Man City are firing on all cylinders right now and this could very much be their season for the EPL title.